• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 9:59 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2010
38 posts

Senheisser HD 439's? 50$

Hi im ust wondering whether these headphones are any good or not like sound quality wise, they are 100$ off it says at futureshop on bd.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1436 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
easytoadd wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 6:48 am
Hi im ust wondering whether these headphones are any good or not like sound quality wise, they are 100$ off it says at futureshop on bd.
i tried it at fs. sound is okay, but comfy is soso.
I ended up getting HD 598 from amazon.
Dec 26, 2004
801 posts
41 upvotes
Thanks, was looking to get some over the ear headphones as well. Will check out your post.

stoneydish wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 11:13 am
honestly not worth it, too many reviews complaining about cheap plastic and fabric around the ears (budget equip).
check my post about some other options including the costco bose over the ears.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-ove ... 1275097/2/
Jul 10, 2006
498 posts
24 upvotes
LOL recommending Bose over a great deal on Sennheiser cans. The HD 439s are a great pair. I've had the 438s for a year and they're amazing. No wear and tear at all and if you actually look up reviews for the 439 over on head fi, people love em.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
1962 posts
189 upvotes
Orleans
Bought a set. I like them.
Jun 6, 2007
546 posts
29 upvotes
bought 2 pairs family loves em! for 50 bucks a steal!!!
Feb 25, 2008
114 posts
36 upvotes
Moocha wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 1:37 pm
LOL recommending Bose over a great deal on Sennheiser cans. The HD 439s are a great pair. I've had the 438s for a year and they're amazing. No wear and tear at all and if you actually look up reviews for the 439 over on head fi, people love em.
a. not all sennheiser are premium quality - just like not all bose are budget quality.
b. those bose ones i mentioned are over $120.00 and can be demo-ed at any costco and if u put them side by side there is a noticeable difference in strength of plastic and the material around the ears. That being said, if your a loyal sennheiser product user nothing logical said here will sway you - some people just love sticking with there products brands. I personally will pay more for something that can be put in a laptop bag and come out un-scaved and or damaged no matter who or whom makes it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2008
3875 posts
Got a pair today but I want to sell, I used it for about 45 seconds. They are great sounding but just found another pair that I have been wanting on Kijiji. I will let these go for 50$ firm. Barely used as stated before.
Feb 10, 2006
410 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond
Received mine from the mail 2 days ago and only had a chance to test them right now... and here's my very brief impression of them:
1. Oh god, not a blister pack...
2. The plastic feels very cheap
3. The ear cushions feel very cheap. They are hard and not very comfortable. Feels very different when compared to sets like the HD555, HD558
4. The cord is very thin but detachable. 2 cord lengths available right out of the box. 3.5mm mini stereo terminated, perfect for mobile devices but why carry something this big with you when you can stick with some IEMs?
5. Sounds very bland/flat
6. I expected better for what would have been a $160 set on regular price
7. As much as I don't like to, I think I am going to have to return them :(
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
2973 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
easytoadd wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 6:48 am
Don't listen to the BS. I just received mine and I really like them. So do the people at Amazon.com Link and Head-Fi Link. I also prefer the velour over the fake leather because not only do they feel better they'll also never crack and start peeling like the ones that use fake leather. Another plus is the removable plug - should the cable ever fray or just stop working getting a replacement is a lot easier than having to open up the thing or throw it out. The inclusion of two cables, 1 short and 1 long, is also a nice feature because you can choose which one works best for you and should one of the cables ever break, you always have a backup. I'm also very happy with the sound quality and would put them on par with my Shure 440's.

The best part is that I ordered two of them from FS and they thought it was a duplicate order error on their part so they gave me a free $20 gift certificate. So, I only paid $29 for them.
Aug 28, 2011
294 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this from the Boxing Day sale as well. For $50 it is an excellent price. I'd say I wouldn't pay any more than $85 max for these. If you start paying $90 or more (which IMO is too much), you're better off getting the Audio-Technica M50's.

In regards to the HD 439's, I agree that Sennheiser has some of the worst packaging ever. Blister packs are horrible, and once you open these, they are impossible to store again because the plastic package becomes destroyed.

The first impression I got when I lifted them out of the package was the incredibly cheap plastic headband. They feel so fragile and thin that if you drop or twist them accidentally with excessive force, they'll snap. The swiveling range of the ear pieces is near nil and therefore pretty much pointless. Again, the swivel and headband design is just so cheap and weak. If you twist even with a little force I'm sure the whole pivot system will crack. Also, the headband extension system does not hold its positions well; it's a little loose. In addition to that, there's no "number" on the band that indicates which extension position you're on. Pretty lame, no?

As for the components, these come with two wires of different lengths and style, which are removable and interchangeable. This is a plus. The ear pads, IMO are comfy and do not feel "hard" as another person has said. However, the pads do feel small as they are on-the-ear headphones. If you want pads that completely envelope your ears, get a pair that is over-the-ears. (Again, take a look at the M50's. They are waaay more sturdier and fit very comfortably over the ear.)

In terms of sound, they do not produce any "extra" bass. The are quite soft in volume and you'd be it finding yourself turning up the volume to near maximum levels just to get louder sound. In other words, you should get an amp if you want to use these headphones to their fullest potential. These are perfect for sitting at home in front of the computer, and maybe using them with your MP3 player (for MP3 players I actually don't think they'll provide enough amplification through these headphones though), etc. However, if you think these are powerful monitoring headphones that easily send every single sound to yours ears without the need of an amp, get something else.

I think after I get these burned in a bit they'll be very good. Sennheiser should be embarrassed they produced such a cheap --- headband though.

Cliffs:
-Good for light use
-Not good for DJ or monitor use (not designed for this anyway)
-You'll need an amp
-Horrible packaging
-Cheap and fragile headband system
-For $50 these are excellent though, especially if you'll invest in some burn in time

P.S. These aren't suitable for travelling. The ear pads cannot conveniently twist (like this) or fold up (like these). You might end up cracking these if you throw them in your bag. You're pretty much stuck with using these at home I guess.
Apr 7, 2006
98 posts
7 upvotes
do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get some grado sr80s
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
2973 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
Teioh wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 12:20 am
do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get some grado sr80s
Why stop there? Go big and get the AKG K550's.
Dec 12, 2007
393 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
BoxsterS wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 1:42 am
Why stop there? Go big and get the AKG K550's.
No kidding - for 3x the price I can't tell if he's serious or just mocking.
× < >