SENIOR seeks WINDOW REPLACEMENT advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2016 10:39 am
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
17 posts
Woodbridge, ON

SENIOR seeks WINDOW REPLACEMENT advice.

Thanks to the WINDOW GUYS I have learned a lot but still feel uneasy about what I think I know.
I need to replace 8 windows on a 25 year old home.

3 are 50"X 69" BB
4 are 30"X 32" BB
1 is 41"X 62" BB

Looking for Brick to Brick Installed, 5ml glass outside with 4 ml on the inside, super spacer, double glazing, Low E ER35+, Energy Star, Good quality vinyl window.

What dollar figure should I expect to pay for this, any company recommendations, anything else I should look out for?

How much more should it cost for triple glazing ?

Thanks guys.
4 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
You are asking for information tht is difficult to give.
The cost of your replacement is based on the type of window (sliders, casement, double hung etc), type of glass and insulation (double, triple, argon, film etc), quality, brand and so on.
Most importantly, is the installer. As most (or a great many) windows are certified, they are close to equal and installation is the key. Fit and quality of workmanship is of the utmost importance.
You need to find long time, reliable and recommended installation companies to deal with. Quality companies deal with quality products. Long time companies are around because of their workmanship and products.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13302 posts
2789 upvotes
London
p51mustang wrote:
Jun 14th, 2016 7:46 pm
Thanks to the WINDOW GUYS I have learned a lot but still feel uneasy about what I think I know.
I need to replace 8 windows on a 25 year old home.
merged-windows-doors-633922/319/

Post your question in the big thread above to get your answer
[OP]
Aug 14, 2015
17 posts
Woodbridge, ON
Thank you for your response. I should have added CASEMENT windows and of course CSA. I'm sure that a rough estimate can be given by an experienced window man.
We are not talking about a battleship here. I've had quotes from $3,750 from a small company to $13,278 from a box store for what appear to be basically the same type product.
That is why I posted my question.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14928 posts
1748 upvotes
Oshawa
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.