Sports & Recreation

Sens Talk on RFD: Retool, Rebuild, RESURRECT!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2017 2:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa

Sens Talk on RFD: Retool, Rebuild, RESURRECT!!!!

ON THE ROAD TO THE CUP!!!
ImageImageImageImage
March 20, 2007:
OFFICIAL RFD SENSNATION:
SKANJI
CAS77
CDNNICK
DIAMONDOG
DJJOSEE
ENDURE
FIREHAWK
MSELF084
MUNSIFN
MINTMASTER
NSX
PFDUDE
RUBBERBAND

GO!!!!

SENS!!!!

GO!!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage

From sensunderground.com
"Are the Senators truly Canada's team going into the Stanley Cup finals? Most people would probably answer yes to this question... if you exclude Toronto from Canada of course.

I know that here in Ottawa, pretty much everyone cheered for Edmonton in last year's cup final and Calgary the year before that. I guess we Canadians, being so passionate about our sport, believe the cup belongs in Canada. If the Canadian team we support can't bring the cup home, we then hope that another Canadian team does.

Of course, their are exceptions! In Toronto, things are a little different. I don't expect Leaf fans to cheer for the Senators... why would they? Sure, an argument can be made that many American-based clubs have more Canadians on their team than the Senators do... but so what? Are we cheering for the players or are we cheering for a team to bring the holy grail north of the border? I don't recall that argument ever being applied when other Canadian teams have had a chance to bring it home.

I think one reason why Leaf fans would never cheer for the Senators is because they feel they would never hear the end of it if Sens fans were ever given the ultimate bragging rights. But can you imagine if the roles were reversed? Let's face it, to this day we still don't hear the end of it when it comes to Sens-Leafs debates. "The Sens can't beat the Leafs in the playoffs... when it counts.", "4-0 baby", and my favourite, "When's the last time the Sens won the cup?". Hopefully, we'll have an updated answer for that question in a couple of weeks.

I remember being asked by a listener of our show a little while back if we at the Underground would ever cheer for the Leafs if they were Canada's only hope for the cup. Of course my answer was "HELL NO!". Simply because I knew that Leafers would never cheer for the Sens... and they have proven me right. Having said that, I know there would probably be a handful of Sens fans who would cheer for them, kind of like there are a handful of Leafers cheering for the Sens right now. But if Leafers are still throwing the 4-0 in our faces, can you imagine what we'd have to endure if they did win the cup? I don't even want to think about it. It's funny 'cause I've already heard some Leaf fans say that if the Sens win the cup this year, it won't mean anything 'cause they didn't have to go through Toronto. Yeah... okay.

Eugene Melnyk made a statement a few weeks ago that seems to have ruffled the feathers of many Leaf fans. Basically, he urged Leaf fans to support the Senators in their cup run soon after Ottawa became the only Canadian team remaining in the playoffs. This was apparently big news in Toronto. Some of you may know that we Undergrounders were interviewed on AM640 (Home of the Leafs) a little while back... a show where the theme is "Anyone But Ottawa". And the whole premiss of the show, which was the reason why we were interviewed, revolved around the statement Melnyk made. But of course, according to Leafers, Sens fans are the ones obsessed with the Leafs. Right.

Let me tell you this Leafers, no one in Ottawa cares whether or not we have your support. Right now, it's our time to shine! We couldn't care less if you hop on the Sens band wagon or not. I know that the Senators being labelled as Canada's team is upsetting for some of you but make no mistake about it... in no way shape or form is Ottawa pleading to the rest of Canada for their support. We know that most of Canada, minus Toronto, is on board and that's great. You can choose to believe Toronto reporter Damien Cox, who stated on the TSN show "The Reporters" on Sunday that there are no Sens fans outside of Ottawa. Based on the amount of loyal listeners we have spread-out around the world, I can proudly say that Mr. Cox is clueless. Then again, it's amazing how your view of the world changes when wearing blue & white goggles!!!

With the Senators in the cup finals, the last thing I wanted to do was talk about the Leafs or their fans. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.

WE'RE IN THE FINALS BABY!!! And if there's a team in the NHL that deserves to be at the big dance, it's the Senators. The players and fans deserve it... regardless of what some people may think!! "
9079 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
probably 2nd best and will be for the regular season and they dissapear in the playoffs as usual.. another typical year ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10303 posts
116 upvotes
Mississauga
First, let me preface this by saying, I'm a true blue leaf fan, and I hate Ottawa with a passion, but I'm also a rational human being.

Ottawa is a powerhouse and a force to be reckoned with. I honestly think, if they played with some more heart, they'd be one of the best teams in recent history to ever play. Right now, they're excellent, and some of the skill on that first line is insane.

A little more heart, and I'd be shaking in my boots.
4chan melts your brain.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
gilboman wrote:probably 2nd best and will be for the regular season and they dissapear in the playoffs as usual.. another typical year ;)
...and there folks goes the attempted discussion with knowledgable hockey fans at rfd....

yep, another typical year. How boring was the 8-0 win. To be honest, I was bored....Spezza goal vs. the habs?? boring....

yep, another typical year...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
danfromwaterloo wrote:First, let me preface this by saying, I'm a true blue leaf fan, and I hate Ottawa with a passion, but I'm also a rational human being.

Ottawa is a powerhouse and a force to be reckoned with. I honestly think, if they played with some more heart, they'd be one of the best teams in recent history to ever play. Right now, they're excellent, and some of the skill on that first line is insane.

A little more heart, and I'd be shaking in my boots.
i hear this alot. how is 'heart' defined? take a look at the team now. with heatley, hasek and mcgratton, you can't tell me that this team is the same in the past...

dan - thanks for the comments though. c'mon leaf nation (and other hockey fans)...what do you think??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
37 upvotes
detroit is the best team in the league imo

the Sens can dominate all they want in the regular season.. thye have to prove it in the playoffs
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22945 posts
952 upvotes
Markham, ON
yes as of Oct 31, 2005 10:38am Eastern Standard time. Not sure in at 10:39...but i will get back to you

as of 10:51, the Wings are a better team :|
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
rdtx2002 wrote:detroit is the best team in the league imo

the Sens can dominate all they want in the regular season.. thye have to prove it in the playoffs
yep - agreed. just like all the other teams.

i have no clue how detroit is having the year they are...unreal...i don't think anyone predicted the goaltending they are getting...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1300 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:yes as of Oct 31, 2005 10:38am Eastern Standard time. Not sure in at 10:39...but i will get back to you

as of 10:51, the Wings are a better team :|
But hasn't Ottawa played 'tougher teams' ( Leafs/ Philly ) in a 'tougher division than Detroit ?

Makes the Sens performance, by comparison, all that more impressive doesn't it ????
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
poedua wrote:But hasn't Ottawa played 'tougher teams' ( Leafs/ Philly ) in a 'tougher division than Detroit ?

Makes the Sens performance, by comparison, all that more impressive doesn't it ????
I completely agree. I think almost all the teams in our division can make the playoffs...

Detroit
Nashville
Columbus
Chicago
St. Louis

compared to

Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Boston
Toronto

...all teams in the Northeast are over .500
Oct 10, 2005
110 posts
I agree with the fact that the NE division is by far the strongest in the league, but lets face it, regardless of who finishes with the most points, the better team is the one that wins the cup.

During the last NHL season, Ottawa whooped Toronto 7-1 and 6-0 in regular season games. Ottawa also beat Toronto 5-1 in game 1 of the playoffs.

Toronto still won the playoff series.

The Sens have been the best team in the league for 4 years now, and have been favoured to win the cup for at least 3 of those years.
Lets face it, the Leafs are losing to better teams in the playoffs. Philly and New Jersey have been better teams and deserved to win.
But the Sens have absolutely choked in the playoffs. They are getting beat by a Leafs squad that shouldn't have even taken it to a game 6.
Especially the last two years, the Sens should have beat them in 5 games or less. The teams weren't even comparable on paper and aren't comparable again on paper. Thankfully, hockey is a special sport in the way that the best team on paper often doesn't win.

Blame Lalime all you want for their playoff loss, but he didn't lose that series, not at all. The Sens lost 4 times (obviously) during that series. Do you know how many goals they scored in those 4 losses? They scored 1 goal in 4 losses to the Leafs. Can you really blame Lalime for that?

The Sens may or may choke again in the playoffs, but if the Sens and Leafs meet again in the playoffs this year, my money will be on the Leafs.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
707 posts
skanji wrote:I completely agree. I think almost all the teams in our division can make the playoffs...

Detroit
Nashville
Columbus
Chicago
St. Louis

compared to

Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Boston
Toronto

...all teams in the Northeast are over .500
]

Only one team can give the wings a scare and the nashville while ottawa has 4 thast could beat them any night.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10037 posts
386 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottawa suffers from Vancouver-syndrome - gotta do something in the playoffs. I thought the Northwest division would be the toughest but with Edmonton & Calgary floundering, the Northeast is where the action's at. I mean the Leafs are at the bottom and they're almost have a .500 record (yet there are 532531 Leafs threads, lol - even when they're just playing okay they get all the attention).

Detroit is the best team - they have been playing some insane hockey, even if they are in the easiest division in the league.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5966 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
fanaticalLEAFfan wrote:I agree with the fact that the NE division is by far the strongest in the league, but lets face it, regardless of who finishes with the most points, the better team is the one that wins the cup.

During the last NHL season, Ottawa whooped Toronto 7-1 and 6-0 in regular season games. Ottawa also beat Toronto 5-1 in game 1 of the playoffs.

Toronto still won the playoff series.

The Sens have been the best team in the league for 4 years now, and have been favoured to win the cup for at least 3 of those years.
Lets face it, the Leafs are losing to better teams in the playoffs. Philly and New Jersey have been better teams and deserved to win.
But the Sens have absolutely choked in the playoffs. They are getting beat by a Leafs squad that shouldn't have even taken it to a game 6.
Especially the last two years, the Sens should have beat them in 5 games or less. The teams weren't even comparable on paper and aren't comparable again on paper. Thankfully, hockey is a special sport in the way that the best team on paper often doesn't win.

Blame Lalime all you want for their playoff loss, but he didn't lose that series, not at all. The Sens lost 4 times (obviously) during that series. Do you know how many goals they scored in those 4 losses? They scored 1 goal in 4 losses to the Leafs. Can you really blame Lalime for that?

The Sens may or may choke again in the playoffs, but if the Sens and Leafs meet again in the playoffs this year, my money will be on the Leafs.
We are so far from the cup...not even 15 games into the season. I think that's why the analysis above is pretty accurate.

Only difference is, this is a vastly different team. No Bonk, Hossa, White, Lalime - all the cornerstones of those teams. That's why the comparison is a bit off.

But again, so far from the cup....but you can't say the Sens are boring. I think there is a real concern that the leafs won't make the playoffs. But that is being discussed heavily in the leafs topic!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I never understood why the Islanders gave up Spezza (technically the pick) for Yashin. Considering his inconsistency, lack of leadership and inability to honour his contract, why give up a promising high draft pick?
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel