Sports & Recreation

Sens Talk on RFD: Retool, Rebuild, RESURRECT!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2017 2:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
skanji, I am not sure why you don't think we need a No. 1 goalie? It may be OK not to have a No. 1 goalie if you have a formidable defense in front of the net but with all due respect to guys like Carkner, Gonchar, Karlsson, Lee, and Phillips, they are simply not up to snuff this year. And I don't think they will kick it up a notch next year either, maybe Karlsson but the other dudes don't inspire a whole lot of confidence in me.

Chris Phillips may be gone anyday now and so is Gonchar (if someone is willing to pick him up)

IMO, a good (you don't have to be a Top 3) goalie will not only help the team stop the puck which is his main job really, he will also provide the mojo and swagger, if you will, for the team, especially for a younger defense knowing they may make a mistake but somebody is there at the back to help save the day. I can't say I have that kind of confidence in Anderson (there is a reason he is traded and we need to see him playing more) and Lehner (too early to tell). Certainly, neither the team nor the fans believe in Elliott (got booted out of town for a reason) or Leclair (too injury-prone, i mean look at Ryan Miller of the Sabres, he is as skinny as a bamboo but has helped carry the Sabres on his back the past few years)

Guess I will be cheering for Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver this spring...
[removed]
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5973 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2011 5:17 pm
Shamir, I am not sure why you don't think we need a No. 1 goalie? It may be OK not to have a No. 1 goalie if you have a formidable defense in front of the net but with all due respect to guys like Carkner, Gonchar, Karlsson, Lee, and Phillips, they are simply not up to snuff this year. And I don't think they will kick it up a notch next year either, maybe Karlsson but the other dudes don't inspire a whole lot of confidence in me.

Chris Phillips may be gone anyday now and so is Gonchar (if someone is willing to pick him up)

IMO, a good (you don't have to be a Top 3) goalie will not only help the team stop the puck which is his main job really, he will also provide the mojo and swagger, if you will, for the team, especially for a younger defense knowing they may make a mistake but somebody is there at the back to help save the day. I can't say I have that kind of confidence in Anderson (there is a reason he is traded and we need to see him playing more) and Lehner (too early to tell). Certainly, neither the team nor the fans believe in Elliott (got booted out of town for a reason) or Leclair (too injury-prone, i mean look at Ryan Miller of the Sabres, he is as skinny as a bamboo but has helped carry the Sabres on his back the past few years)

Guess I will be cheering for Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver this spring...

Name me 5 #1 goalies, and I'll show you that none of them have been consistent over the last 5 years. My point is that goaltending is the least reliable position in terms of pedigree. Look at Luongo and Kipper, both thought of as elite goaltenders and take a look at their track record. Agree on the potential of Anderson and Lehner. Even Miller though has had a rough year...

Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of chasing after a #1 goalie in this city. Let the kid have a shot, and give Anderson 3.5 mill tops and a 3 year contract tops.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2776 posts
112 upvotes
Sudbury
Kovalev traded to the Pens for a 7th and Svatos claimed on waivers today.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2843 posts
59 upvotes
Kanata
Kenny Blankenship wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 12:46 pm
Kovalev traded to the Pens for a 7th and Svatos claimed on waivers today.

Watch out we are going to ride this winning streak all the way to the playoffs. :lol:

I'm surprised Kovalev only got a 7th, I figured more like 5th, he has to be worth more then Ruutu???
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3264 posts
1927 upvotes
North Vancouver
It's hard to get much value when said player is 38, on pace for 19 goals, and has a cap hit of $5 Million. This being said, I thought Kovalev would get a higher return, but I guess Ottawa just wanted to get rid of him without eating the salary.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3659 posts
175 upvotes
Anything to get this guy off the team. Everything knows Kovalev's rep, but he's a good pick-up for 2-3 months tops. REALLY curious to see where he lands come July 1st, if anywhere.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2776 posts
112 upvotes
Sudbury
mself084 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 1:08 pm
Anything to get this guy off the team. Everything knows Kovalev's rep, but he's a good pick-up for 2-3 months tops. REALLY curious to see where he lands come July 1st, if anywhere.

Montreal
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
Leclaire time is done in Ottawa

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Sen ... story.html

He is making too much money to be on the injured list and with his history, I don't think any team in the league is likely to claim him off waiver. I know some of the injuries are not his fault but in this day and age, he is probably just another casualty of the salary cap and the *what-have-you-done-for-me-lately* syndrome.
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2843 posts
59 upvotes
Kanata
canabiz wrote:
Feb 27th, 2011 7:01 am
Leclaire time is done in Ottawa

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Sen ... story.html

He is making too much money to be on the injured list and with his history, I don't think any team in the league is likely to claim him off waiver. I know some of the injuries are not his fault but in this day and age, he is probably just another casualty of the salary cap and the *what-have-you-done-for-me-lately* syndrome.

Not surprising. I don't know why any team would take a chance on him even at league minimum and as a backup what would be the point.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
Murray got a 3 year contract extension and Clouston has been shown the door.

I think Murray has lost a bit of his golden touch and some of his recent moves have been really questionable. I feel for Clouston, he's a young guy coming into the fire and had a lot of things working against him. I think he will land on his feet somewhere.

Oh well, at least we can cheer for the Habs and the 'Nucks in the playoff.
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
Marc Crawford has just been let go by the Stars and I think Murray should give him some consideration as he has won a Stanley Cup and is known as a tough and organized coach.

There is no shortage of good coaching candidates and if Murray f*ked it up again then Melnyk will have noone to blame but himself.

Btw, skanji. I am not the only guy who think we should have a solid, dependable goalie. Clouston also pointed to Tim Thomas as a big reason for the Bruins' success in his exit interview.
[removed]
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18186 posts
344 upvotes
Richmond
canabiz wrote:
Apr 12th, 2011 10:49 pm
Marc Crawford has just been let go by the Stars and I think Murray should give him some consideration as he has won a Stanley Cup and is known as a tough and organized coach.

There is no shortage of good coaching candidates and if Murray f*ked it up again then Melnyk will have noone to blame but himself.

Vigneault may be available if Vancouver bow out in the first round.

But I'm afraid that it's just a matter of time before Melnyk's "loyal" man (Cameron) is officially anointed as the new coach.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16539 posts
993 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Wow, this thread is dead...

Anyways, mu office had a few sens fans in it and every once in a while one if them makes fake notes from Eugene to Brian. Thought I'd post one because I find them funny.

Hey Bryan,

I waited for a couple of hours last Friday, I thought you were going to give me a lift to the draft. Oh well, these things happen. It must have slipped your mind. Did we get that ‘puck-moving’ defense man that you have been looking for? Anyway, I hung out at the hotel bar and watched some of the draft. I see you picked up Michael Zetterberg……….nice thinking picking Hendrik’s brother. Hopefully, he will be just as good. Not sure why you passed on Sean Cournoyer, given what a great player his dad was, but I trust your decision……or should I say ‘Trushhht your deshishen’…..ha ha, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Anyway, not long after our first pick things became a little fuzzy for me. Man I love that Molson 67 with lime. So if you could get back to me and let me know who else we picked up with our remaining picks that would be great……..I can’t seem to find my laptop. I also heard something about a trade? Did you finally get rid of Heatley?

Get back to me soon.

Thanks

Gene.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6282 posts
443 upvotes
Help me
Evil Baby wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 10:10 am
Wow, this thread is dead...

Anyways, mu office had a few sens fans in it and every once in a while one if them makes fake notes from Eugene to Brian. Thought I'd post one because I find them funny.

Hey Bryan,

I waited for a couple of hours last Friday, I thought you were going to give me a lift to the draft. Oh well, these things happen. It must have slipped your mind. Did we get that ‘puck-moving’ defense man that you have been looking for? Anyway, I hung out at the hotel bar and watched some of the draft. I see you picked up Michael Zetterberg……….nice thinking picking Hendrik’s brother. Hopefully, he will be just as good. Not sure why you passed on Sean Cournoyer, given what a great player his dad was, but I trust your decision……or should I say ‘Trushhht your deshishen’…..ha ha, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Anyway, not long after our first pick things became a little fuzzy for me. Man I love that Molson 67 with lime. So if you could get back to me and let me know who else we picked up with our remaining picks that would be great……..I can’t seem to find my laptop. I also heard something about a trade? Did you finally get rid of Heatley?

Get back to me soon.

Thanks

Gene.

I had a good chuckle, thanks!

trushht your deshishen.... lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
Go Sens Go!

Game 3 on Monday, thinking about going to the game, it won't be cheap. Parking is $17

I hope the Sens win at least 1 game at home before going back to the Big Apple.
[removed]