Sports & Recreation

Sens Talk on RFD: Retool, Rebuild, RESURRECT!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2017 2:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3666 posts
189 upvotes
The rfd sens thread is back!

Having 10-12 guys over for BBQ and sens tonight. I live near the arena, the setup outside looks good... Huge beer tent, stage, bouncy ride for the kids.... The usual.

Go sens go!
Proud member of SENS Army
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Ottawa hospital accused of giving Karlsson preferential treatment
Mike Halford - Mar 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

[QUOTE]A man that brought his ailing mother to The Ottawa Hospital says Erik Karlsson jumped the queue to have surgery on his sliced Achilles tendon.

Vincent Creaco, 48, is accusing the hospital of showing preferential treatment to the Senators defenseman at the expense of other emergency patients — including his 76-year-old mother, who’s systolic blood pressure had spiked to 200, raising concerns of a possible stroke.

Creaco says he and his mother had been at the hospital’s Civic campus since 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 13 and that Karlsson was admitted shortly after midnight, went directly into an urgent care room and was attended to by nurses.

“Even the other people in the [urgent care] room were sort of rolling their eyes,” Creaco told the Ottawa Citizen. “Here comes the hockey star and next thing you know, he gets the attention and doesn’t have to wait and, boom, he’s off to surgery.”

Creaco sent two emails to the hospital’s senior vice-present inquiring about the decision-making process.

It appears the crux of the issue comes down to this:

[QUOTE]Like all Canadian hospitals, The Ottawa Hospital follows Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale (CTAS) guidelines to determine who gets priority for emergency treatment. The scale ranks patients according to five levels, ranging from non-urgent to resuscitation.

Based on the CTAS guidelines, Karlsson’s injury would appear to be more serious than Creaco’s mother’s elevated blood pressure.

Creaco, though, doesn’t see it that way. “I think my mother’s case was more urgent. She could have suffered a stroke. You can’t tell me his Achilles tendon is urgent.”
[/QUOTE]

A Ministry of Health spokesman said a report has been filed regarding the Karlsson incident, but that it would be treated strictly as information and there would be no follow-up investigation.

Brian Morris, a Senators spokesman, said the nature of Karlsson’s injury required immediate attention.

“This was something they needed to do right away. Had any patient had the exact same cut, they would have needed surgery equally fast,” he explained. “They didn’t even take up any hospital resources. They were very cognizant about not doing that.

“It wasn’t like they bumped people from a room to treat Erik.”

This isn’t the first time an NHL team has found itself in the center of a medical queue-jumping controversy.

In January, a report surfaced that Calgary Flames players and their families were directed to lie to cover up getting fast-tracked for H1N1 flut shots in 2009.

A Calgary health nurse said 150 players/family members received the shots at a private clinic while other citizens went through lengthy wait periods to receive the same shots at a public clinic.[/QUOTE]

So I guess this means the man cares more about his mother than the Ottawa Senators .....
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Jan 19, 2007
629 posts
87 upvotes
Did the mom end up having a stroke? No.

The hospital did the right thing.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14280 posts
1019 upvotes
VCR wrote:
Mar 11th, 2013 7:23 pm
Ottawa hospital accused of giving Karlsson preferential treatment
Mike Halford - Mar 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

So I guess this means the man cares more about his mother than the Ottawa Senators .....
Is everything a joke to you? I thought teams based their own medical staff. They have those fancy hyperberic chambers and MRI machines on site.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5686 posts
637 upvotes
Ottawa
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2013 9:52 am
Is everything a joke to you? I thought teams based their own medical staff. They have those fancy hyperberic chambers and MRI machines on site.
Yea, you are right! They have ORs in Scotiabank place. I wonder why they had to go to the hospital

/sarcasm
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e10479612/

BRUCE DOWBIGGIN
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Mar. 28 2013, 7:49 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 28 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

NO REST

Sometimes you have to just let go. Don’t tell Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, however. The voluble Melnyk is still unable to accept that Pittsburgh’s wrecking ball Matt Cooke was without guilt in severing the Achilles tendon of Gene’s star defenceman Erik Karlsson.

After all, there’s a trail of bodies in Cooke’s wake to prove he can be hazardous to health. But the NHL chose to exonerate Cooke in injuring Karlsson. Melnyk was not appeased.

So the Sens owner has launched a “forensic” examination to prove that Cooke deliberately injured Karlsson. He told Bob McCown on Sportsnet’s Prime Time Sports Wednesday that he will prove to the NHL via video and expert medical analysis that Cooke did it. Paging Jake Gittes! The issue will be handled either internally or publicly by the NHL, said Melnyk. When that is done, Melnyk will throw his expertise behind O.J. Simpson’s search for Nicole’s killers and the hunt for Amelia Earhart.
Mr. Dowbiggin is sooooooo wrong on this. :facepalm:

I fully support Eugene Melnyk for his perseverance, using any means available to him in seeking justice and not just "letting things go." What a true inspiration to us all.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/15cd4i8.gif[/IMG]
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... ml?cmp=rss

Erik Karlsson practises with rest of Senators
No timetable yet on defenceman's return

CBC Sports
Posted: Apr 19, 2013 12:52 PM ET

[QUOTE]

Erik Karlsson returned to the ice for the first time with the Ottawa Senators on Friday since suffering a devastating Achilles' tendon tear in February.

Karlsson was spotted skating in public last week, but this was the first time he took part in a regular practice session with teammates.

"Even if it wasn't the hardest practice in the world, it was still a good thing to do and it gave me some perspective as to where I am right now," Karlsson told reporters in a video on the team's website.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray had said in February that the Swedish blue-liner was effectively done for the season after suffering a 70 per cent tear of the tendon.

As recently as Thursday, Murray told Hockey Night in Canada Radio on SiriusXM that Karlsson practising with the team was "down the road."

Karlsson said there was no timetable for when he would be available to return to game action, even leaving open the possibility it wouldn't be this season, as originally thought.

"Every player wants to get back as quick as possible but I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I don't feel comfortable and I'm not going to jeopardize anything going into next season," said Karlsson.

He suffered the injury when his left leg was struck by the skate blade of Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke. Team owner Eugene Melnyk later said he believed Cooke's action was intentional.

Karlsson's return would be a huge boost for the team. Last year, he won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenceman in just his third season, recording 19 goals and 59 assists.

Ottawa teammates have battled this season through the significant absences of Karlsson, centre Jason Spezza and goalie Craig Anderson, who has since returned.

Jared Cowen, deemed unavailable for the season before it even started due to a hip injury, played his first game on Tuesday.

Spezza, Murray said in Thursday's radio interview, is training in the gym but not yet on skates as he recovers from a back injury.

There are 10 days left in the season for Ottawa.

The Senators have yet to lock up a playoff spot, although statistical breakdowns have them at 96 per cent likely to quallify.

Ottawa has five more games left, beginning Saturday with a home game against Toronto on Hockey Night in Canada (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 7 p.m. ET).

The season has been extended an extra day for the Senators due to a postponement related to the Boston Marathon bombing. Ottawa visits Boston in the finale on April 28.
[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to see Karlsson back in action. Would love to see him take part in the pre-game skate against the Leafs this Saturday ... just to plant the "seed" of possibility that he's coming back.

BTW, the Sens can take over for the 5th seed with a regulation win over the Leafs on Saturday. :cool:

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
VCR wrote:
Mar 28th, 2013 6:31 pm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e10479612/

BRUCE DOWBIGGIN
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Mar. 28 2013, 7:49 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 28 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Mr. Dowbiggin is sooooooo wrong on this. :facepalm:

I fully support Eugene Melnyk for his perseverance, using any means available to him in seeking justice and not just "letting things go." What a true inspiration to us all.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/15cd4i8.gif[/IMG]
Has anyone in the Ottawa area heard the latest on Mr. Melnyk's forensic investigation on Cooke? Performed a google news search ..... Couldn't find anything.

According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html, they have a fairly decent chance of finishing 8th, hence meeting the Pens in the first round. That would be the very intense series to put it mildly. :cool:

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... -tomorrow/

Sens coach MacLean: If Karlsson feels ready, he’ll play tomorrow
Mike Halford
Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT

[QUOTE]Looks like Erik Karlsson‘s remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon is just about complete.

On Wednesday, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the reigning Norris winner is at the point of his rehab where — if Karlsson feels he’s ready to come back — he’ll be put into the lineup.[/QUOTE]

That would be a rather remarkable comeback ...... even if he is 7/10 of the effective player he was pre-injury.

Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14280 posts
1019 upvotes
Where the hell is skanji.. The only send fan I know through and through but this thread is dead.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 24th, 2013 5:45 pm
Where the hell is skanji.. The only send fan I know through and through but this thread is dead.
well judging from the op's last post, he seem to have migrated to #twitter:

Apr 1st, 2013 05:08 AM (PT):
skanji wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 9:08 am
#GotPlayoffs?
:razz:

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
VCR wrote:
Apr 24th, 2013 4:56 pm
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... -tomorrow/

Sens coach MacLean: If Karlsson feels ready, he’ll play tomorrow
Mike Halford
Apr 24, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT

That would be a rather remarkable comeback ...... even if he is 7/10 of the effective player he was pre-injury.
Karrlson playing tonight. #CONFIRMED

re:

It’s official: Karlsson to return for Ottawa tonight
Mike Halford
Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... a-tonight/

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
VCR wrote:
Apr 25th, 2013 3:55 pm
Karrlson playing tonight. #CONFIRMED

re:

It’s official: Karlsson to return for Ottawa tonight
Mike Halford
Apr 25, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... a-tonight/
Pretty impressive return. Over 27 min TOI, 2 assists, helping Sens to secure a Playoffs spot.

Maybe they should give him an honorary Norris nomination. :cool:

Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9617 posts
2845 upvotes
Ottawa
For the Ottawa folks, I'm wondering if there's any interest in grabbing a pint and watch our beloved Sens in action in the playoff?

We should have a better idea what team they will play and when by end of this week. This is just a feeler message to see if you guys are interested...we can all meet somewhere that's convenient for everyone, I am in Barrhaven and I can go downtown or chill out in Nepean/West End, that's not an issue.

Cheers and GoSensGo!

P.S: I have been exchanging PM with a couple other posters and I know bubble.tea has expressed interest.

P.P.S: Djino, if you are around, your inbox is full!
Atomy Korean Beauty Care/Health Care/Household products available in Ottawa.