• Sep 16th, 2017 3:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill

Separating bonded pair of cats for overnight vet stay

I have adopted two cats from THS a few months back, started with fostering, now officially adopted. They are a bonded pair, were left at the shelter together so I assume they are siblings.

Next week I have to bring one to the vet for an overnight stay, and it'll be the first time they will be separated since they were born. The eat, poop. pee, play and sleep together.

I've separated them in two rooms but they will start meowing and whining no more then a few minutes apart. I know I could just leave both over, but I should start separating them more often for short periods to get them used to it, any suggestions?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
They'll be fine.

We have sibling female ragdolls and experienced the same thing. While it was reported to us they were the cat version of a colic infant being separated, soon as they got home they acted as if nothing happened.
Apr 25, 2011
695 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
Why do they have to stay overnight?

It should be fine but it is best to keep them together just on the odd chance that they don't recognise one another on their reunion. Occassionally there are stories of cats starting to fight after even short seperation due to their secent no longer being the same. It can become a major issue.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill
Karala wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:53 am

It should be fine but it is best to keep them together just on the odd chance that they don't recognise one another on their reunion. Occassionally there are stories of cats starting to fight after even short seperation due to their secent no longer being the same. It can become a major issue.
Yes, this is what I am afraid of. I will definitely keep them away when one comes back so they can 'smell' like home instead of the vet. It's the first overnight vet stay.

One needs to stay overnight for a cardio scan in the morning, and they can't take both (even if they put them in the same cage), as the scan will be done off premises. I'm a new cat owner, so I don't know if thats normal.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1426 posts
352 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Karala wrote:
I had this happen between a mother cat we had and her daughter when we brought the daughter home from being spayed. The mom was hissing and growling at her daughter and taking swipes at her and the daughter was like "mom, I just got back from the vet, gimme a break!" Anyway, that lasted less than a day, so it wasn't an ongoing problem at all. Just sad.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Oct 6, 2015
797 posts
403 upvotes
Often its not a case of the cats disliking each other after a vet visit, but rather, "OMG, I'm in pain, someone just cut my nuts off, I'm gonna hate everyone". Give it a few days and all should be back to normal.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:03 pm
Often its not a case of the cats disliking each other after a vet visit, but rather, "OMG, I'm in pain, someone just cut my nuts off, I'm gonna hate everyone". Give it a few days and all should be back to normal.
They've both been sprayed/neutered, unfortunately he's going in for a cardio scan because he has a heart murmur. Hopefully its nothing.

I thought I mentioned it but they are 5 months old.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9820 posts
880 upvotes
Karala wrote:

My cats do that. My cats were like OP's. They are brothers and really bonded together. They started their friendship hiding from their psycho sister (same littler) that would attack the other kittens. They played, slept, ate, pooed (even help cover each other poo) together. When I took one to the vet, the other one cried constantly. Also when I came back, the one who was home the whole time hissed at the other one.

Your right it has to do with their scent. They don't smell the same coming back and therefore aren't recognizable. I once got fed up with the hissing and started rubbing the cats together. :twisted: Now you both smell like the vet! That actually kinda worked.

It's temporary. After a day or 2, they'll be best buds again.

Over time your cats will grow more independent. No need to ween them off each other. My cats (nearing 10 years old) rarely ever sleep together anymore. They still do stuff together, but often do their own thing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:22 pm
My cats do that. My cats were like OP's. They are brothers and really bonded together. They started their friendship hiding from their psycho sister (same littler) that would attack the other kittens. They played, slept, ate, pooed (even help cover each other poo) together. When I took one to the vet, the other one cried constantly. Also when I came back, the one who was home the whole time hissed at the other one.

Your right it has to do with their scent. They don't smell the same coming back and therefore aren't recognizable. I once got fed up with the hissing and started rubbing the cats together. :twisted: Now you both smell like the vet! That actually kinda worked.

It's temporary. After a day or 2, they'll be best buds again.

Over time your cats will grow more independent. No need to ween them off each other. My cats (nearing 10 years old) rarely ever sleep together anymore. They still do stuff together, but often do their own thing.
Thanks! Yeah, they literally line up behind each other before using the litter box. Sometimes I have to force them to eat from their separate bowls, as they make a mess when sharing a bowl. They're basically glued together.

When the cat returns home, I'll keep them away from each other for the day and give him a good snuggle, then a body fur wipe, and play with him and get the 'home' smell back in.
Sep 15, 2017
2 posts
I have the same situation...brother and sister cats. I adopted them 4 years ago as kittens from a shelter. I would say: don't worry about it. I have had them separated for as long as a month (long story!) and while the female kept looking up the stairs for her brother, she didn't seem very stressed. One night is nothing. Just give the at-home kitty extra attention and distract her/him with a new toy. Hopefully, you can tire him/her out so she will sleep on your bed all night!
Sep 15, 2017
2 posts
Yes, that's true. I had to send my male cat away for a month b/c my female cat transferred her fear and aggression (on seeing another big male outside) onto her brother. It was like Satan had come home. So much hissing, growling, and I really thought one of them would get hurt. The female cat chased her brother around like he was the enemy...he was so scared he defecated in the house while trying to get away from her. This happened so much that I had to separate them. It took me several months to be able to put them together again. The female would just glimpse the male and go crazy! Now they are fine together but don't snuggle up anymore like they used to Disappointed Face