None
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
825 posts
94 upvotes
Richmond Hill

As of Sept 1, 2009 no more tire disposal fee in ontario

This is perfect for those of you like me who have old tires lying around:

"Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS) is an Industry Funding Organization (IFO) incorporated under Ontario
5 replies
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
825 posts
94 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sneaky. $5 per tire up front is more than the couple bucks it was to get rid of the tires at a shop. Time to shop in the states. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3147 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
it's just like the oil disposal fee

u don't pay for disposal but u pay when u buy, now the same for tires...u pay when u buy but not when u dispose
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3339 posts
387 upvotes
Valleywood
ES_Revenge wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 5:03 pm
LOL it's not gone, they've apparently just changed it around...

Instead of getting a fee for disposal you get a fee for buying them in the first place. What difference that makes I have no idea but I'm willing to bet it's more $$$ now than it was before!

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=784748
The difference is that I hope we all see less midnight dumpers rolling their thread bare tires into empty lots or roadside ditches.

Forcing people to pay for disposal (at end of life) of such items is just asinine, and clearly leads to illegal dumping.

Every government thinks they have the ultimate solution with regards to tire recovery, but if they want to ensure that tires get recycled, make it a deposit system.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20265 posts
1677 upvotes
fastlayne wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 7:01 pm
The difference is that I hope we all see less midnight dumpers rolling their thread bare tires into empty lots or roadside ditches.
Or it could lead to people thinking "oh I already paid for my disposal when I bought these" and thinking they have the "right" to dump them, lol.
× < >