Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

2GB RAM, 75GB SSD-Cached, 2TB Bandwidth Linux VPS @ $38/year

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2014 4:10 pm
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City

2GB RAM, 75GB SSD-Cached, 2TB Bandwidth Linux VPS @ $38/year

Deal Link:
Price:
$38
Savings:
86%
Long story short, I’ve been trying to replace my CVPS which expired a few weeks ago. I haven’t found anything comparable on LEB or SD, so I decided to try my luck with live chats. After trying a few websites, I was able to get a pretty decent deal from ServerMania, $38/year for a comparable VPS to Chicago VPS. I’m not sure if it is a one time code, but it’s still working.

2 GB Guaranteed RAM
2 GB vSwap RAM
75 GB SSD Cached Storage
2 IP Addresses
2TB Bandwidth
100 Mbps Network Speed
Tun/Tap enabled! For PPTP or OpenVPN!
SolusVM/OpenVZ
4 Locations – Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Buffalo
$38/year - Use Promocode - 38Y2GB
https://shp.servermania.com/order/produ ... &period=12

As for performance, I’m running an image cache for my websites and MySQL server for scripting, and I haven’t ran into any issues. I’ve only had it for a few days, I’ll post an update in a week on performance.

[root@test ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Number of cores : 2
CPU frequency : 2187.375 MHz
Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
Total amount of swap : 2048 MB
System uptime : 0 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 95.7MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 35.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 53.7MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 11.6MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 8.73MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 29.4MB/s
Dow
nload speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 10.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 73.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 91.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 32.7MB/s
I/O speed : 1.6 GB/s

--- Copy from my post on SD
nomnomnom
35 replies
Jun 21, 2008
318 posts
65 upvotes
Waterloo
How is this one compare to Chicago VPS or BuyVM?
Mar 25, 2006
757 posts
162 upvotes
Hamilton
can this be used as a seedbox?
Jan 12, 2007
451 posts
126 upvotes
.. or minecraft server? Could run a decent server off that.
Dec 2, 2003
537 posts
73 upvotes
This is pretty good. Paying 18/Quarter right now to host on Peer1 Toronto (SSDVPS). So conflicted whether to switch or not...
Sep 6, 2011
232 posts
42 upvotes
Calgary
liujason wrote: How is this one compare to Chicago VPS or BuyVM?
I have a VPS on both Chicago VPS and Server Mania, and IMHO Server Mania is better for both support service and system down time.
Mar 11, 2012
40 posts
8 upvotes
WINNIPEG
does anyone know of affordable vps solutions that support hardware acceleration? (please no azure)

ie: capable of OpenGL or DirectX graphical payloads without something like a mesa3d pass-through?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5991 posts
3584 upvotes
Toronto
enmasse wrote: does anyone know of affordable vps solutions that support hardware acceleration? (please no azure)

ie: capable of OpenGL or DirectX graphical payloads without something like a mesa3d pass-through?
Certainly not this one: it's OpenVZ on CentOS 6. I think that's like the majority of cheap VPS.

I'm no expert, but GPU's are only starting to have the features required for sharing, and I don't think that there are many of those. So I'd expect such a service to be expensive and rare

Besides, I'd expect OpenCL or Cuda to be what was on offer, not OpenGL or DirectX.

Perhaps you know more about this. Could you explain what your application model is? Why would providing what you want be inexpensive for the vendor (OpenVZ seems to be inexpensive in resources)?

I wonder if cgroups as in CentOS 7 can compete with OpenVZ.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1071 posts
121 upvotes
splazit wrote: I have a VPS on both Chicago VPS and Server Mania, and IMHO Server Mania is better for both support service and system down time.
but chicagovps is much cheaper. I have pretty much the same deal (50gb hdd) for $60 (3 years)
Jul 17, 2011
268 posts
1233 upvotes
Toronto, ON
can this server hold a 10 man counter-strike GO with 128 tick ?
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
liujason wrote: How is this one compare to Chicago VPS or BuyVM?
I believe ServerMania's Chicago and Buffalo location are with Colocrossing which appears to have a lot of links with ChicagoVPS.

So I guess if you get Chicago or Buffalo, your uptime is as good as ChicagoVPS.

By the way Toronto to Chicago has a shorter ping time than Toronto to Buffalo, even though the physical distance is longer I believe. Chicago is basically like the connection hub whereas CC is pretty much the only company offering services in Buffalo (at a low price point at least).
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
pros911 wrote: can this server hold a 10 man counter-strike GO with 128 tick ?
RAM and HDD shouldn't be a problem but you might be causing high CPU load, be aware that this is against their TOS/AUP and they can suspend your VPS with 0 refund on CPU abuse.
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
ph4tb0i wrote: This is pretty good. Paying 18/Quarter right now to host on Peer1 Toronto (SSDVPS). So conflicted whether to switch or not...
If you are happy with your current service, don't switch just to save a few bucks, we are talking about doubling the ping time at least and in my view your data is much more secure in Canada than down south.

Plus SSD is way faster than SSD Cached in my experience. This is going to be important when hosting a gameserver.

Of course if ping time and all that are not important, going to US is definitely cheaper.
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
By the way according to their TOS any service paid to them is non-refundable, and it appears they are based in ON, so people in ON might be accessed GST/HST.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1517 posts
701 upvotes
Victoria
skinnyp wrote: but chicagovps is much cheaper. I have pretty much the same deal (50gb hdd) for $60 (3 years)
Is that deal still available? With a code maybe? When I check out the Chigago VPS site, a 2GB Ram, 50gb hdd, with only 1 IP OpenVZ is 17.95 a MONTH - not $20 a YEAR for 3 years ($60 for 3 years).
Oct 1, 2011
269 posts
47 upvotes
Quebec City
MikeyCanuck wrote: Is that deal still available? With a code maybe? When I check out the Chigago VPS site, a 2GB Ram, 50gb hdd, with only 1 IP OpenVZ is 17.95 a MONTH - not $20 a YEAR for 3 years ($60 for 3 years).
Yeah, I can't find that deal anywhere as well. That's crazy cheap
nomnomnom
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1913 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
US$38/y is a good deal, if it's on going. Don't want to look for another provider when price goes back to $276/year after 1 year.
Dec 11, 2011
26 posts
12 upvotes
max88 wrote: US$38/y is a good deal, if it's on going. Don't want to look for another provider when price goes back to $276/year after 1 year.
It is ongoing, spoke with the support team.

Also, the service so far has been great!