Automotive

Service Ontario : 2 year sticker renewal ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 9:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1340 posts
551 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Service Ontario : 2 year sticker renewal ?

Question as I always just get a one year renewal. If I buy a two year sticker for my car, will the sticker still be valid prior to 2 years if I decide to sell the car or will I have to pay again ? As the plates are separate ; I figure just change of registration. But can anyone confirm this for me. Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
I think the sticker is follow by your plate?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1340 posts
551 upvotes
Oakville, ON
a16107 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:47 pm
I think the sticker is follow by your plate?
True... but any additional fees thereafter if cars sold/having to buy a new sticker etc etc
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3583 posts
2741 upvotes
Toronto
1. If you sell/buy a car in the future, you will definitely need a new permit (ie. green slip), because the permit has the car's VIN, etc. That's $32.
2. If you get a new license plate at the same time, you can return your old one and get a pro-rated refund of your sticker. Rather than get a refund, some people like to keep their old license plates
3. If you use your old license plate and sticker, there's still a small fee to update their records, basically. I think you get a white sticker that corresponds to your license plate sticker to attach to your new permit.

Basically, it doesn't make a difference to do 2 or 1 year because if you sell (say, in 6 months) and get a pro-rated refund, you'll just get an 18 month refund vs. 6 month refund. I usually get 2 years just because fees keep increasing, so you're at least locking down the fee for an additional year.

Cheapest thing to do is keep re-using old plates and stickers with each car. See all those old rusted, dented, illegible plates out there?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1340 posts
551 upvotes
Oakville, ON
jm1 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:04 pm
1. If you sell/buy a car in the future, you will definitely need a new permit (ie. green slip), because the permit has the car's VIN, etc. That's $32.
2. If you get a new license plate at the same time, you can return your old one and get a pro-rated refund of your sticker. Rather than get a refund, some people like to keep their old license plates
3. If you use your old license plate and sticker, there's still a small fee to update their records, basically. I think you get a white sticker that corresponds to your license plate sticker to attach to your new permit.

Basically, it doesn't make a difference to do 2 or 1 year because if you sell (say, in 6 months) and get a pro-rated refund, you'll just get an 18 month refund vs. 6 month refund. I usually get 2 years just because fees keep increasing, so you're at least locking down the fee for an additional year.

Cheapest thing to do is keep re-using old plates and stickers with each car. See all those old rusted, dented, illegible plates out there?
Great synopsis. On that note yea there peeling all the old licence plates out there.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21185 posts
2045 upvotes
Only buy 2 years if there's an increase in the following year- otherwise you're locking in $120 for free.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14622 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
I always get 1 year. That's because I always keep my plates, which comes in handy when your car is unexpectedly written off in June of 2017 and you still have some time left on your plates :D
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28582 posts
3925 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jm1 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:04 pm
See all those old rusted, dented, illegible plates out there?
I have a really old plate and it is legible
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22229 posts
8861 upvotes
Ottawa
It's you money, do what makes sense to you.
I'd pay 5yrs up front if it was an option.