Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10544 posts
3353 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Set location isn't working

I can't set my location in the field that appears at the top right of each page just left of the Search box. (As opposed to the publicly-displayed location in my profile.)

It shows up by default as Toronto. This makes sense as my IP resolves there (where my ISP has a POP.) But when I click on "Toronto, ON" two strange things happen:
1. The new proposed default is "Westmount, ON" not "Waterloo, ON."
2. When I click on "Waterloo, ON" my location changes to Waterloo. But when I refresh the page it reverts to Toronto.

I'm using Chrome browser on Windows. I've tried this with Allow and Block location in Chrome settings.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any suggestions to make location stick?
veni, vidi, Visa
12 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8488 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
Just to be clear you're trying to update the location using the pin icon to the left of the city correct?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10544 posts
3353 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:07 am
Just to be clear you're trying to update the location using the pin icon to the left of the city correct?
Yes, (although both the pin and the text location are clickable and lead to the same page.)

P.S. Also strange is that there's no "Westmount, ON." Google Maps takes me to the Westmount area of K-W near Westmount Rd and the Westmount GC. There doesn't appear to be a municipality in ON by that name. So where's that default coming from?
veni, vidi, Visa
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8488 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:08 am
Yes, (although both the pin and the text location are clickable and lead to the same page.)

P.S. Also strange is that there's no "Westmount, ON." Google Maps takes me to the Westmount area of K-W near Westmount Rd and the Westmount GC. There doesn't appear to be a municipality in ON by that name. So where's that default coming from?
Just wanted to make sure. I just tried it myself and the exact same thing happens. I'll run it by a dev to see if it's a bug or something else. I'll post an update as soon as I know more.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10544 posts
3353 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

Clipboard01.jpg
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3889 posts
362 upvotes
Montreal
In the upper right corner of the display is the city RFD thinks you're in.

No matter what I do, when I return here, the forum says I'm in Toronto. My profile says I'm in Montreal and that's correct.
How do I get Montreal to stick on the forum home page?
Last edited by Phils on Sep 28th, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phils
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3889 posts
362 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, Tom.
Sorry for the duplicate.

I did search before starting the thread but missed it.
Feel free to merge.
Phils
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
18 upvotes
vancouver
Same issue here, I'm in BC and it keeps defaulting back to Toronto on refresh. Chrome on Windows and Chrome OS.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8488 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
baudfather wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:24 am
Same issue here, I'm in BC and it keeps defaulting back to Toronto on refresh. Chrome on Windows and Chrome OS.
I've gotten a few more reports of this recently. I'll run it by a developer again to see if I can get some answers as to why this is happening.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10544 posts
3353 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
FWIW it's still happening to me. Help! I can't escape from Tronno.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 23, 2014
87 posts
47 upvotes
Montréal
I have the same issue, stuck in Toronto even if I switch to Montréal. Tried in Chromium and Edge, as soon as I hit refresh I get back in Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10544 posts
3353 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
electricJP wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:27 am
stuck in Toronto even if I switch to Montréal
I imagine you're rather happy that in real life things don't also work that way ;)
veni, vidi, Visa