• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 1:24 pm
Tags:
Aug 31, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton, AB
Same here.
In Edmonton, but someone is determined to make it look like I'm in TO.
Global Settings > My timezone = UTC -7 ; America/Edmonton, but makes no difference.

Same whether logged in or not.
Same whether on Safari, or Chrome.
macOS.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
1962 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've been having this issue forever. It keeps defaulting to Toronto, ON even though I keep changing it to Vancouver, BC.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4008 posts
841 upvotes
Sask.
Same thing happening with me.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem but I am seeing a few more complaints about this pop up each week. I'll bring this issue back up with the dev team after the holidays and see if we can figure out what's causing the problem. I apologize to everyone who is currently experiencing this issue.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1382 posts
436 upvotes
London
Add me to the list.
It's been like that a long time, but not important enough to me to care much, especially since reported by others.

It also may be more widespread than you think, given the number of Toronto members.
They would never know it is broken because for them it is correct.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
arisk wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 10:15 am
It also may be more widespread than you think, given the number of Toronto members.
They would never know it is broken because for them it is correct.
Fair point. Excluding all of Toronto it's still a very small percentage though (unless people just aren't reporting it back to me). Hopefully we'll be able to figure this one out quickly in the new year.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4465 posts
579 upvotes
Montreal
It took me months to finally notice it. Even with the wrong location it doesn't seem to affect functionality so people might not bother coming to this sub-forum. Also, since the New Posts link doesn't work properly, they would never stumble on this thread.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14006 posts
6412 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 12:39 pm
unless people just aren't reporting it back to me
I suspect many people don't even notice and of those who do, many don't care. In some cases it's not a big deal. For instance 99% of flyers, promos, etc. that are valid in Toronto are also valid in Waterloo (and southern ON.) So why should we care?
Hopefully we'll be able to figure this one out quickly in the new year.
Thanks.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
Phils wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 1:17 pm
Also, since the New Posts link doesn't work properly, they would never stumble on this thread.
What part of New Posts isn't working for you?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4465 posts
579 upvotes
Montreal
When I click it, I get 1,000's of threads of which none are bolded. I figure I can't be alone with this issue. I wrote about it back when the forum was last overhauled.

Here's a screenshot.
Images
  • RFD New Posts.jpg
Phils
Aug 31, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton, AB
When on the page: https://www.redflagdeals.com/ - things are fine and it remembers Edmonton.
Refresh it and it still works.

On another tab, I also have open: hot-deals-f9/ - this page is broken and defaults to Toronto.
The only difference I can see is that this is running http and not https. If I manually type https://, the page loads as such - but to Toronto.
Could this be the problem?
Apr 2, 2009
184 posts
156 upvotes
vancouver
To throw some more oddity into the mix... On my desktop, location is auto-set by IP (I'm guessing), but on my laptop (Chromebook), it shows up as Toronto. Both are on the same LAN and public IP.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5793 posts
820 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
This still affects me on iPad with current iOS.

It doesn’t matter what wifi I am on... home, office, hotel.

It doesn’t matter what RFD page I am on.

Every time I change the RFD page, my location is reset to Toronto.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14006 posts
6412 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
baudfather wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:10 am
To throw some more oddity into the mix... On my desktop, location is auto-set by IP (I'm guessing), but on my laptop (Chromebook), it shows up as Toronto. Both are on the same LAN and public IP.
Current bugs aside, "Set your location" needs to always respect an explicitly-specified location no matter what the user's location, IP address, etc. may suggest. That feature is needed for users who travel. For instance if I'm in Europe I may still want to see deals targeted to my home. After all I could still get in on them over the web. Or maybe I want to give a gift to someone in western Canada so I'd like to see what deals London Drugs (who have no stores in ON) are offering.

And of course this option would also be an easy work-around for the broken "automation" we seem to have now. RFD needs to add a checkbox like, "Always use this location no matter where you are actually located."
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10231 posts
16228 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:53 am
Current bugs aside, "Set your location" needs to always respect an explicitly-specified location no matter what the user's location, IP address, etc. may suggest. That feature is needed for users who travel. For instance if I'm in Europe I may still want to see deals targeted to my home. After all I could still get in on them over the web. Or maybe I want to give a gift to someone in western Canada so I'd like to see what deals London Drugs (who have no stores in ON) are offering.

And of course this option would also be an easy work-around for the broken "automation" we seem to have now. RFD needs to add a checkbox like, "Always use this location no matter where you are actually located."
That is how it's supposed to work (but obviously isn't for select users). I was travelling in the US last month and my location never changed from Toronto. I'll bump this issue back up to see if there's any updates.