Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2007
131 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

Setting up usd saving account with ING Direct

ING direct needs me to send a cheque payable to myself from my current account with Scotiabank. But I have no personal cheques for my USD daily interest account with Scotiabank. I was told by Scotiabank that I had to online order 50 personal cheques for 20 bucks plus, most of which I will never use. Is there any other way?
19 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14333 posts
5219 upvotes
Gatineau
yellowsea wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 11:29 am
ING direct needs me to send a cheque payable to myself from my current account with Scotiabank. But I have no personal cheques for my USD daily interest account with Scotiabank. I was told by Scotiabank that I had to online order 50 personal cheques for 20 bucks plus, most of which I will never use. Is there any other way?

+1.

I have some money sitting in RBC's U.S. eSavings account that I'd like to move over to ING and open up their U.S. Savings account, but I don't think I can nor would want to order cheques from this RBC account. Is there anyway to get the money into ING without converting to CAD?

djino
Aug 15, 2006
655 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
i have the ING USD account, opened it about 6 years ago and was pretty much forced into buying cheques so that i can link that account. Thats the thing i don't like about ING, don't know if things have changed since.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1260 posts
315 upvotes
in same boat, thinking of opening account with ally but dont use cheques. i wonder if a pre-auth form from the bank would work?
Jul 30, 2009
65 posts
djino wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 11:36 am
+1.

I have some money sitting in RBC's U.S. eSavings account that I'd like to move over to ING and open up their U.S. Savings account, but I don't think I can nor would want to order cheques from this RBC account. Is there anyway to get the money into ING without converting to CAD?

djino

I am in the same situation. I have funds in the RBC US eSavings and want to transfer them to a USD investment account at TDW. Maybe a wire-transfer? Ideally i'd like to avoid fees though...I sent this question via the RBC online banking messaging system so we'll see what they say.
Aug 7, 2010
840 posts
222 upvotes
Less than 3 months ago I opened a US$ ING account to transfer some money I had sitting in my 0 interest CIBC $US account. I mailed to ING a pre-auth form from CIBC (showing the account number) and they opened my new account very very quickly (3 days I think after I mailed my form!). So you don't need a cheque!
May 17, 2009
162 posts
14 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Djino:

You can definitely link up your RBC US$ E-Savings account with ING Direct. If you go to your RBC branch ask them for a direct deposit form/slip with your name, address etc. on it. If you call ING they can tell you what exactly needs to be on it. The form I got was just on RBC Letterhead had a void cheque imprinted on it with transit #, institution #, account number on it. I believe someone at RBC had to sign it as well. I just told the RBC people it was for my discount brokerage account so I could move money back and forth as I thought if I mentioned ING they might balk at the idea. Did this about 9 months ago and there was no problem. I think I had to physically snail mail the original to ING but it got done.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14333 posts
5219 upvotes
Gatineau
cheapcanoehead wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 9:22 pm
Djino:

You can definitely link up your RBC US$ E-Savings account with ING Direct. If you go to your RBC branch ask them for a direct deposit form/slip with your name, address etc. on it. If you call ING they can tell you what exactly needs to be on it. The form I got was just on RBC Letterhead had a void cheque imprinted on it with transit #, institution #, account number on it. I believe someone at RBC had to sign it as well. I just told the RBC people it was for my discount brokerage account so I could move money back and forth as I thought if I mentioned ING they might balk at the idea. Did this about 9 months ago and there was no problem. I think I had to physically snail mail the original to ING but it got done.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I will visit an RBC Branch tomorrow. Should I call ahead of time or is this something they can give me on the fly?

djino
[OP]
May 28, 2007
131 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
komodor wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 8:25 pm
Less than 3 months ago I opened a US$ ING account to transfer some money I had sitting in my 0 interest CIBC $US account. I mailed to ING a pre-auth form from CIBC (showing the account number) and they opened my new account very very quickly (3 days I think after I mailed my form!). So you don't need a cheque!

Is that your first account with ING? I was told that I could use a direct depost form if I have an account linked to my file. But they do not have an alternative to starting an account without a cheque.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
1925 posts
203 upvotes
Ontario
For Ally, what you can do is use a cheque to link it to your chequing account and any subsequent accoutns you want to link don't need a cheque, they use a form of verfication that involves depositing $0.xx into your accout and you have to tell them how much exactly was deposited.

P.S. PM em if you need an ING referral :)
Sep 19, 2004
424 posts
95 upvotes
cheapcanoehead wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 9:22 pm
Djino:

I went to my rbc branch 2 months ago, and the staff there said they won't provide void cheque for us e-savings account, I did get a void cheque for my cad e-savings account though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
Jabb wrote:
Nov 11th, 2010 10:03 am
For Ally, what you can do is use a cheque to link it to your chequing account and any subsequent accoutns you want to link don't need a cheque, they use a form of verfication that involves depositing $0.xx into your accout and you have to tell them how much exactly was deposited.
Ally's system is very convenient compared to ING. But Ally only does Cdn$ accounts, no?
May 17, 2009
162 posts
14 upvotes
Thunder Bay
I didn't book an appointment or anything, I just showed up and it was like sure no problem. Maybe I got lucky as a previous poster had no success. I suppose if one branch fails to give you one try another one. I should have kept a photocopy of the thing. I think is also specified the currency of the account as well. The ING staff will tell you what needs to be on it if you give them a call.
Aug 7, 2010
840 posts
222 upvotes
yellowsea wrote:
Nov 11th, 2010 9:19 am
Is that your first account with ING? I was told that I could use a direct depost form if I have an account linked to my file. But they do not have an alternative to starting an account without a cheque.

No, I already had with them a savings account linked to a regular CIBC chequing account.