Tags:
[OP]
Nov 17, 2007
219 posts
421 upvotes
Canada

Sewing Machine?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my beautiful wife a sewing machine for Christmas. Her current one just died out on us after many years of fixing the things that I wreck or tear.

I am not looking for something that is professional level or absolute of the line, but something that is probally at the intermediate level. Looking to spend around $600, maybe a bit more if the deal was great.

Any help in both picking one, and or finding a deal, would be very apprecaited.

Thanks!
I Love deals.
8 replies
May 24, 2017
332 posts
220 upvotes
GTA
Check out Canadian Tire Flyer (Red Thursday). Singer sewing machine on page 4. $100 discount. Sale Price is $149 (plus taxes). Can't say how good or bad it is. Maybe buy it and if not good, return it.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2007
219 posts
421 upvotes
Canada
Paulie1RFD wrote:
Nov 27th, 2019 8:11 pm
Check out Canadian Tire Flyer (Red Thursday). Singer sewing machine on page 4. $100 discount. Sale Price is $149 (plus taxes). Can't say how good or bad it is. Maybe buy it and if not good, return it.
Cool. Thanks for the tip!
I Love deals.
May 28, 2012
10318 posts
2458 upvotes
Saskatoon
Check out Costco online. They have a few Janome and Singer machines. Canadian Tire is not the place I would go to buy a sewing machine...they tend to jack up the price and then put it on sale for 80% off. Warranty would also be better at Costco. You don't need a membership to buy online but not sure how the warranty works then.
Jan 11, 2007
399 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
$600 should get you a good all purpose sewing machine with at least 20 to 40 built-in specialty stitches and include some special sewing feet and extension table. I have a Janome that that I paid ~$500+ about 10 years ago and still use. If you can go to a specialty sewing/quilting store they should have a wide range from $200 to $10000 or higher that are on display and you can try them out. Just don't buy at regular msrp price because those prices are very inflated. A $800 -900 machine should be on sale for around $600. I would stay away from Singer. In the old days they were good but not anymore due to cheap parts. Brother is okay. Bernina is nice but tends to be a little more expensive.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2007
219 posts
421 upvotes
Canada
slinger99 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 8:55 pm
$600 should get you a good all purpose sewing machine with at least 20 to 40 built-in specialty stitches and include some special sewing feet and extension table. I have a Janome that that I paid ~$500+ about 10 years ago and still use. If you can go to a specialty sewing/quilting store they should have a wide range from $200 to $10000 or higher that are on display and you can try them out. Just don't buy at regular msrp price because those prices are very inflated. A $800 -900 machine should be on sale for around $600. I would stay away from Singer. In the old days they were good but not anymore due to cheap parts. Brother is okay. Bernina is nice but tends to be a little more expensive.
Awesome. I really appreciate your insights!
I Love deals.
Oct 23, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
Check out YouTube for old singer 401A, 411, 421,
431. They are made in German in the late 1950’s - purchase price usually between $50-$300
They are built with German precision and run smooth as silk - solid metal parts.
My repair fellow said for all they can do stitch wise would be worth $3000 if it were a modern machine.
Oct 9, 2019
4 posts
3 upvotes
AA7HBS wrote:
Nov 20th, 2019 2:52 pm
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my beautiful wife a sewing machine for Christmas. Her current one just died out on us after many years of fixing the things that I wreck or tear.

I am not looking for something that is professional level or absolute of the line, but something that is probally at the intermediate level. Looking to spend around $600, maybe a bit more if the deal was great.

Any help in both picking one, and or finding a deal, would be very apprecaited.

Thanks!
Which one did she use?
just asking, since well, most of seamstress I know prefer to work with one particular brand.

Though I agree with Mars:
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2019 8:55 pm
Check out Costco online. They have a few Janome and Singer machines. Canadian Tire is not the place I would go to buy a sewing machine...they tend to jack up the price and then put it on sale for 80% off. Warranty would also be better at Costco. You don't need a membership to buy online but not sure how the warranty works then.
I bought mine and my mother's machine here. We both are long-time Janome users, and their machines are usually very well built (even cheaper ones, which is quite surprising as - slinger99 already mentioned - cheaper Singers are awful). We are not professionals, and I'm just a hobbyist. And I'm pretty happy with my Janome HD3000 (cost me about 350$ two years ago), use it for making clothes mostly. Mother likes her quilts so she requested a machine with a bigger throat.
I would ask your wife first of all what it is she wants in a machine. Does she want one that has all the fancy stitches, or does she want one that does only a straight stitch? There are plenty of options, and it all depends on how she's going to use it.

Personally, I think you should let her pick out her own machine. After all, she is the one who will be using it. Would you buy her a car without letting her test drive it first? :)
You can choose it together, and then just buy it online. This way you can be sure that machine will work perfect for her.
But it's just me and my two cents.

It is wonderful you want to do this for your wife!
So if you already bought one, then please, share your update with us. Good luck!
[OP]
Nov 17, 2007
219 posts
421 upvotes
Canada
JaneDeris wrote:
Dec 11th, 2019 5:46 am
Which one did she use?
just asking, since well, most of seamstress I know prefer to work with one particular brand.

Though I agree with Mars:

I bought mine and my mother's machine here. We both are long-time Janome users, and their machines are usually very well built (even cheaper ones, which is quite surprising as - slinger99 already mentioned - cheaper Singers are awful). We are not professionals, and I'm just a hobbyist. And I'm pretty happy with my Janome HD3000 (cost me about 350$ two years ago), use it for making clothes mostly. Mother likes her quilts so she requested a machine with a bigger throat.
I would ask your wife first of all what it is she wants in a machine. Does she want one that has all the fancy stitches, or does she want one that does only a straight stitch? There are plenty of options, and it all depends on how she's going to use it.

Personally, I think you should let her pick out her own machine. After all, she is the one who will be using it. Would you buy her a car without letting her test drive it first? :)
You can choose it together, and then just buy it online. This way you can be sure that machine will work perfect for her.
But it's just me and my two cents.

It is wonderful you want to do this for your wife!
So if you already bought one, then please, share your update with us. Good luck!
Thanks the awesome input!

I did end up getting her one on a great deal locally. I got her the Singer Singer 9960 for an exceptional deal. Long story, but it ended up being less than half of the going price ($150 vs $400).

Her previous machine was a Singer and she had loved it. I did read that some of the lower model ones were a bit crappy, but this one seems that be well reviewed. She is looking to do some fancy stuff, so this one seemed like a good fit.

Thanks again for your time and input. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this machine!
I Love deals.