None
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1758 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto

SGI (Soka Gakkai)

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about SGI or Soka Gakkai International? My boyfriend recently joined as a member and I was just wondering if anyone is a member or knows what goes on there. Thanks.
Share:
11 replies
Apr 4, 2009
1 posts
military
I
Jan 19, 2005
674 posts
Mississauga
Me too! :) It's a buddhist organization in 192 countries/territories ..believing in happiness for self and others. so much more to say lol don't know where to start.

"The core philosophy of the SGI can be summed up by the concept of "human revolution." This is the idea that the self-motivated inner change of a single individual positively affects the larger web of life and results in the rejuvenation of human society." as per website: www.sgi.org

On more of a local scale, we participate in education seminars, held many exhibitions (eg. earth charter), helping the community and the environment, working together with other non-profit organizations in raising awareness (eg. working with Free the Children, UNESCO) etc..

Did you have certain questions? I'd be glad to help you out! (if you want, you can PM me)

:)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
Will there be lots of sexy girls at these seminars? :D

If so, count me in, hopefully I'll be on a path to enlightment and beyond!
Must Read Books!

Dale Carneigie's How to win Friends & Influence People, Seth Godin's Purple Cow, Sun Tze's Art of War, Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince, Charles Darwin's The Orgin of Species, Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End and Eugene Kelly's Chasing Daylight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1758 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
My only problem is my boyfriend is getting this mentality, where if there's a SGI meeting, he MUST go to it, OR ELSE. He's throwing himself into the organization and does not want to socialize with ANYONE outside of SGI. All of his friends and family are worried about him. I am worried, because this is unhealthy. There's a difference between religion enhancing your life and religion being your life. This is what's it become for him. I'm not sure, if this is his mentality, or the mentality that SGI is breeding in him. There are so many meetings that he says are mandatory that he literally spends all of his time outside of work at some sort of religious function or another. I'm not sure how to handle this at all.
Sep 30, 2001
25603 posts
4755 upvotes
EbonyRose wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 5:54 pm
I'm not sure how to handle this at all.
Dump him. *Plenty* of single, normal men out there who aren't religious nuts. If you're not happy with his lifestyle choice and he's not willing to compromise then it's time to move on.
Don't talk about it, be about it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1758 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:01 pm
Dump him. *Plenty* of single, normal men out there who aren't religious nuts. If you're not happy with his lifestyle choice and he's not willing to compromise then it's time to move on.
It's a recent development. I'm not going to dump him right away. I'm going to try to understand what's going on and why he is acting the way he is, before I do anything. You shouldn't be so quick to dump someone you really care about, unless you know for sure it's something that cannot be worked out. People are so quick to throw away relationships these days. Besides, those *plenty* of single, normal men out there might not appeal to me, or I may not appeal to them. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1467 posts
6 upvotes
EbonyRose wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:36 pm
It's a recent development. I'm not going to dump him right away. I'm going to try to understand what's going on and why he is acting the way he is, before I do anything. You shouldn't be so quick to dump someone you really care about, unless you know for sure it's something that cannot be worked out. People are so quick to throw away relationships these days. Besides, those *plenty* of single, normal men out there might not appeal to me, or I may not appeal to them. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Would it be possible to go with him to one of these meetings?
That would probably give you a first hand experience as to what's really going on at the meetings/maybe explain why he's suddenly so Gung-ho about it.

I don't know anything about this, so I won't make any comments or immature remarks.
I think the best thing to do is to check it out yourself + ask him why he's so into it.
Sep 30, 2001
25603 posts
4755 upvotes
EbonyRose wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 6:36 pm
It's a recent development. I'm not going to dump him right away. I'm going to try to understand what's going on and why he is acting the way he is, before I do anything. You shouldn't be so quick to dump someone you really care about,
Wait, so why are you posting here if you already have your clear course of action? :confused:

You asked the community how you should handle your bf's zealot-like mindset ("I'm not sure how to handle this at all") and you're giving me the lecture?
Don't talk about it, be about it
Jan 19, 2005
674 posts
Mississauga
EbonyRose wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 5:54 pm
My only problem is my boyfriend is getting this mentality, where if there's a SGI meeting, he MUST go to it, OR ELSE. He's throwing himself into the organization and does not want to socialize with ANYONE outside of SGI. All of his friends and family are worried about him. I am worried, because this is unhealthy. There's a difference between religion enhancing your life and religion being your life. This is what's it become for him. I'm not sure, if this is his mentality, or the mentality that SGI is breeding in him. There are so many meetings that he says are mandatory that he literally spends all of his time outside of work at some sort of religious function or another. I'm not sure how to handle this at all.
Oh no! :( This is totally not the mentality....It's not a MUST go OR ELSE, it's also not mandatory! ...sorry for the misunderstanding. You're totally correct, it's unhealthy to act this way...he needs balance in his life with his friends, work/school, religion, etc. Everyone I know that is a member has a very balanced life. It's unfortunate that he is being this way..i mean being a Buddhist is about happiness for self and others...and well, he's only achieving happiness for his self :(

Have to spoken to him about your feelings?
× < >