Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22854 posts
2695 upvotes
Montreal

Shadows of mordor, worth it?

Steam has shadow of Mordor GOty edition on sale for 14.99

Should I buy it at that price?

I'm more of an RPG type, but I did enjoy the mass effect series and elder scrolls games.

I got a GTX 1070 do running it should be ok
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7552 posts
2201 upvotes
The story and characters are dull. It plays like an inferior version of Assassin’s Creed.
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 11:46 am
Steam has shadow of Mordor GOty edition on sale for 14.99

Should I buy it at that price?

I'm more of an RPG type, but I did enjoy the mass effect series and elder scrolls games.

I got a GTX 1070 do running it should be ok
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
Good game that's worth playing but it's 5 years old and you should be spending more than $5 at this point. Nothing the GOTY edition adds is going to be worth an extra $10 and you're more likely to be ready to move on once you finish the base game. Also it's not remotely similar to the Assassins Creed and that's a strange comparison imo
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22854 posts
2695 upvotes
Montreal
Technically it's free since I have a 50$ credit on steam
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 3:33 pm
Technically it's free since I have a 50$ credit on steam
still stand by the game isn't worth more than $5 this many years later and you could do better for $15. If you were getting the 2017 sequel Shadow of War for that price i'd say go for it but that's a bad deal for the original game imo
You got me curious so I just checked isthereanydeal and the historical low directly from Steam is $5.49 so ya $15 is a terrible deal. Ridiculous that Steam doesn't even match their own lows anymore but I'm sure you'll find it at that price again if you can wait
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22854 posts
2695 upvotes
Montreal
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:07 pm
still stand by the game isn't worth more than $5 this many years later and you could do better for $15. If you were getting the 2017 sequel Shadow of War for that price i'd say go for it but that's a bad deal for the original game imo
You got me curious so I just checked isthereanydeal and the historical low directly from Steam is $5.49 so ya $15 is a terrible deal. Ridiculous that Steam doesn't even match their own lows anymore but I'm sure you'll find it at that price again if you can wait
Then I will bide my time, waiting for the 5$ deal...
Feb 16, 2018
504 posts
454 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:19 pm
Then I will bide my time, waiting for the 5$ deal...
I own the game and even tho it's a 5 year old game, it is still definitely worth $15 price tag. Also agree there is no point comparing it to assassins creed as they are not even remotely similar

Also if you don't like the game on steam you can get a refund if you have not played it past 2 hours. Is it as cheap as your going to get the game for? No probably not, but if you will enjoy the game, what an extra $10?
Dec 27, 2017
21 posts
It's an alright game. Get's super repetitive though after a few hours.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1181 upvotes
I got it for $5 on one of the sales a year or two ago.

I really like it and will get the 2nd one when it goes super cheap as well.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22854 posts
2695 upvotes
Montreal
Picked it up anyway. Not a bad game. Reminds me a lot of kingdoms of amalur or the second divinity game. Some light character building and much hack and slash.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
868 upvotes
calgary
I enjoyed the series quite a bit.

It's a pretty standard open-world affair (meaning skip almost all the side quests) however the nemesis system sets it apart and makes it quite a lot of fun.

It seemed somewhat poorly received but the sequal doubles and triples down on the nemesis system which ramps things up dramatically and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Seriously I think I just spent 90% of my time with that game toying with orcs.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2977 posts
887 upvotes
Stop recommending this trash. In a nutshell, refer to this:

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
txenglan wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:17 am

You can't do this in the sequel.

You're dealing with a lot more shielded orcs, blocks have to be countered correctly, and plus you have cargoers, drakes, trolls, and other beasts you can't vault over.

The sequel made the game more of a RPG. The tech tree is a lot more expensive.

Plus, as mentioned before the nemesis system has been tweaked.

You can brand orcs to fight for you, but they can also change their mind later and require to be rebranded.

Then there is the siege of strongholds that require building an army of orc generals to take out the war chiefs and ultimately the warlord.

However, the game is does get repetitive fast. But it's done a nice way of getting your feet wet into RPGs, if you haven't played RPGs or not a big fan of them.

At the time Shadows of Mordor was unique since it was an amalgamation of the Arkham series combat system, Far Crys Strongholds, and Tomb Raiders bow and arrow play/scaling system with a Lord of the Rings backstory.

I think it's worth playing through as a LoTR fan and a casual game.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22854 posts
2695 upvotes
Montreal
txenglan wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:17 am
That's a high level character with all the upgraded abilities.

Here's a nice write up on a more tactical approach for low level beginners:

Feb 16, 2018
504 posts
454 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:49 pm
That's a high level character with all the upgraded abilities.

Here's a nice write up on a more tactical approach for low level beginners:

Ironic huh?

The guy hates the game so much but yet spends the time needed to max upgrade his character. If you hate the game so much why bother playing it for so long?

Reminds me of the guys who write negative reviews of a game on steam and when you look they have 179 hours on record, lol

2+2=3?