• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2011 6:46 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Shall I fire my accountant

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

94%
No

6%
[OP]
Jul 14, 2005
494 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Shall I fire my Accountant?

I started my corporation 1 year ago and I was referred to this accountant who was great at the start, he told me what to do and when to consult lawyer and all that good stuff. Also agreed to do personal taxes.

I now enterd my fiscal year and he is being an a$$ on these points

1) He forgot to mention that I should have paid CPP in Jan (thus no claimable income for the year as person) ... so I'm killing myself with high dividend year since I was paying a salary all year to myself ... LUCKY I'm the only employee for now

2) He keeps telling me to wait since march to do my personal taxes saying he wants to do corp and personal together ... 3 days before deadline I ended up doing my personal taxes myself using turbotax since he hasn't even bothered asking for the documents yet.

3) tells me tidbits of advice (buy a car, invest stock) but he does really back it up with why and how much.

I feel like since its my first year I'm bound to him for now ... any ideas? shall i cut him loose?
8 replies
Feb 23, 2005
865 posts
21 upvotes
Of course you should. If he doesn't care about your business, go to another one that does. You're paying for his services, so why pay him if he's not doing his job?

Customer service is everything for public accounting.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Lets this guy go ASAP! If you're in the west GTA email me and I can give you the name of a good CA who I've been using for years. These guys need to be considered employees of your company. If he's not doing the job right, like anyone else, you get rid of them.
Apr 18, 2007
273 posts
4 upvotes
He knows jack about your business, so why feel the need to stay with him? If you had him for years and knew your business inside out, I would think it would be harder to fire an accountant but based on what you provided I would can him right on the spot.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30143 posts
4790 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Better to cut him loose now. Your company is still in its infancy and another more qualified accountant can pick it up easily.

If you wait too long, things may get more complex and a new accountant will need to spend more time to sort things out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5071 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
Let him go...he might not be that bad, but any accountant who is not actively chasing you probably isnt the best for you, especially as you are new in business. Sometimes mistakes and oversights can be made, only human afterall, but if you arent happy with his customer service, move on.

My dads a CGA and he is chasing a bunch of his clients for paperwork and what not to make sure they all clear this years tax deadline without penalties.

He has a number of happy clients from RFD, and is located in Markham right on the border between Markham and Scarborough and so feel free to PM me in case you'd be interested in meeting with him.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2696 posts
806 upvotes
Newmarket
Sometimes it's simply a matter of misunderstanding, but regardless you are the one paying and you should be comfortable with poeple who handle your taxes and accounting. Since there is no monopoly you should find someone who you trust, provides good value and you are happy with.
Banned
Apr 9, 2011
10 posts
UAE/Dubai
There are so many professional CPAs and public accounting firms that offer excellent services. It is better to find a new accountant.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1851 posts
245 upvotes
Calgary
He certainly doesn't sound like he knows what he is doing. However, from some of your comments, I'm not certain you are clear on what you want him to do.

You say you've been paying yourself salary all year, presumably meaning reporting payroll deductions to CRA. How did you do that without noticing the CPP component yourself? In fact, why would you want to pay CPP voluntarily in the first place, if you're just getting your business off the ground?

The "high dividend year" comment? Dividends are more flexible in splitting income than salary. Even in the worst case and you can't use splitting, dividends wouldn't be taxed any more heavily than salary. He may have done you a favour!

Some people aren't open with their accountants and surprise them with details at personal tax time that completely negates any tax planning he may have done on the corporate side. For example, you are expected to know that you have to deliver your personal info including all your family's non-business revenue (investments, registered vehicles, other income & expenses etc) to your accountant in early February so he can tax plan the corporate dividends(due on Feb 28). That is not his job to chase you. If you waited until April before speaking up... well I'd counter that he is spending his time more productively serving his more punctual clients. Accountants may be vendors of outsourced drudgery but there is still the expectation that you should understand your obligations to do with what you are purchasing from him. Communication is a two-way street.