• Feb 21st, 2020 9:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3679 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal

Shameless Self-Promotion Email from Telus / Koodo

What possible purpose could it serve to me as a Koodo customer to get an email like this from Telus corporate tooting their own horn on statistics that no one cares about?

This lack of self-awareness is... sadly not unusual for Telus' social media team, who seems to enjoy gaslighting their customers without actually divulging anything concrete, like technical information or tangible features that their service offers. It's almost as if every communication they have was drawn up by their legal team to showcase something to their board of directors or to some government entity.

I hope they can learn to do better.

Here's the "Learn more" link that goes into initiatives they have for Telus health, bullying, preserving the environment ... (?) completely irrelevant to the rest of the email.
https://www.telus.com/en/about?CMP=emc_ ... uperiority

Last edited by cloneman on Feb 14th, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
16 replies
Jun 5, 2016
516 posts
569 upvotes
If you were thinking about switching to Rogers now you might reconsider because Telus has the best network. Facts aren't important in advertising
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2756 posts
698 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it's meant to target those that think Koodo is some random small player (i.e. Like mobilicity in the past)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3679 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
LTE Speeds are irrelevant for 99% of people. 30mbit or 300mbit, it's of absolutely no importance, if anything matters it's latency. As far as I know, all the big networks in canada are reliable, as long as you have strong cell signal with that company where you live. To make matters worse, the cell signal is likely exactly the same between Bell and Telus, so there goes another differentiating point.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5999 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
Its probably some noobs trying to justify or save their useless jobs by coming up with bullshit. Such exist at every company, all they do is come up with useless new wording and shit to save their jobs by showing they doing something important when its all bullshit
Jul 15, 2003
669 posts
198 upvotes
Ottawa
I figure it is just getting us Koodo customers primed for an increase in prices.
Dec 28, 2019
760 posts
493 upvotes
At first, I thought I had read "shameless self-promotion from Canada", best place on Earth... More government propaganda

e.g. Canada job action plan

Oh, it is about a wireless service provider.
Last edited by Sgtalpowell on Feb 15th, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 28, 2019
760 posts
493 upvotes
Customer Retention Marketing vs. Customer Acquisition Marketing
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6159 posts
1709 upvotes
Markham
cloneman wrote: What possible purpose could it serve to me as a Koodo customer to get an email like this from Telus corporate tooting their own horn on statistics that no one cares about?

This lack of self-awareness is... sadly not unusual for Telus' social media team, who seems to enjoy gaslighting their customers without actually divulging anything concrete, like technical information or tangible features that their service offers. It's almost as if every communication they have was drawn up by their legal team to showcase something to their board of directors or to some government entity.

I hope they can learn to do better.

Here's the "Learn more" link that goes into initiatives they have for Telus health, bullying, preserving the environment ... (?) completely irrelevant to the rest of the email.
https://www.telus.com/en/about?CMP=emc_ ... uperiority

Then ask yourself why those big business such as banks donate millions to United Way and tell everyone about it? Same reason
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1666 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
Thats funny, Rogers claims the same thing that they have Canada's best network and that they won the award that same year too, and so claims Bell.....
Aug 14, 2019
459 posts
236 upvotes
From my unscientific experiences on Rogers, Bell and Telus in Metro Vancouver. I have to say Rogers is better. In the past, I thought Rogers was terrible then I switched to Telus and I realized Rogers is superior. Besides, Rogers/Fidos offers wi-fi calling when you're using wi-fi outside Canada, unlike Bell and Telus. Not sure about Freedom Mobile.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3679 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
I figured out what the objective is. There's a CRTC hearing this week to discuss weather they need to open up the market to MVNOs to increase competition in wireless.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-57.htm

They are getting their story straight before the hearing.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10303 posts
1556 upvotes
Toronto
I laugh at all the chumps who end up with $90/month phone bills every month on any of these companies, my bill has never been more than $41 since switching to Zoomer. My internet however (which just got extended @ $35/month for 12 months again) is with Fido and have never had a problem, very surprised they gave me another year @ that price.
Sep 5, 2017
324 posts
136 upvotes
rodenti wrote: I figure it is just getting us Koodo customers primed for an increase in prices.
Hope that doesn't apply to those on existing/grandfathered plans... I bought a phone outright cuz I didn't want to pay more for a crappier plan