Careers

Share your awful recruiter/recruitment stories here

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2012 11:26 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
500 upvotes
Just wanted to give this a bump now that Jungeon has been temp banned once again and pheonix is too busy writing his first year exams to give out career related advice. The thread was going well on the first page, if anyone wants to continue that train of thought feel free to share.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Pretty sad if we have to wait till jungeon is banned before we have a decent conversation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
I've been out of work for over a year and can tell so many recruiter horror stories. All my horror stories can actually fit into two categories; Misrepresentation and No communication. I find recruiters, well all the ones Ive dealt with completely mislead you into thinking you are right for the job, you are a shoe in, have all the qualifications when they are actually looking for someone different. I have been to many recruiters downtown and in the markham area, where they promise you the world, and have 4 jobs lined up for you, only to find out they are full of BS. The worst part of recruiters is their lack of communication, I find unless you are EXACTLY what they want, they will not return your emails, or phone calls which is more than frustrating especially when they tell you they will put in a good word for you.
....Now I have more time for contests :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
nauru wrote: The answer was useful in that the person showed they are strongly or primarily motivated by money. This is actually pretty useful information to have since people who are motivated by money can be easier to manage than those whose personal drivers are less tangible. And for any technical position, it is quite valuable to have someone who is honest and upfront, and doesn't obfuscate or sugar coat the truth.

Kind of sad that some people apparently think honesty is worthy of ridicule. Also, Russian accent is irrelevant.
Actually, Russian accent is relevant because it makes her sound hot. Honest, ballsy and hot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
JK400 wrote: Just wanted to give this a bump now that Jungeon has been temp banned once again and pheonix is too busy writing his first year exams to give out career related advice. The thread was going well on the first page, if anyone wants to continue that train of thought feel free to share.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA :lol: :facepalm:
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Aug 8, 2011
700 posts
42 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
How many chances does RFD mods give Jungeon ? Seems like this guy get suspended every other week but he is still back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to see the same recruiter I saw last July for a different position, who now works at a different agency. I'm hoping he gives me a chance this time and doesnt just brush me off like last time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
When I was a fresh grad, I looked high and low for a job. A recruiter contacted me and got me to meet her at her office. Our meeting consisted of me signing a peice of paper saying if I get the job, I'm an employee of the agency and not the client. That was the entire meeting. Never heard from her again.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I know the thread is about awful recruiter stories, but I'd like to share my overall experiences with them...both positive and negative.

On one side, there are the unqualified recruiters out there trying to make a quick buck.
On the other side, there are the EXTREMELY qualified recruiters who are very well-connected.

The first group outnumber the second group by quite a margin.

I first crossed paths with them when I was still a clueless 1st year university student. I went in, took a very basic microsoft office test, received an interview for a junior position that paid $10/hr, which I didn't take. I never heard from them again. After receiving my qualifying for professional designation, I started receiving calls from recruiters. Some were a complete waste of time (promised to call and didn't or interviewed me and said they would send me a job description and didn't). Some were absolutely clueless (tried to convince me to take a low salary based on my salary at the time and did not take into account that I received my designation and was due for a big bump as was the norm for ppl in my profession). Some had no connections at all and were just reposting jobs from online sites.

Then I started meeting recruiters from the second group:
-I met one through a former client who was using them. He knew the going salary rates, was formerly in my profession, had quality positions available, and was helpful with resume/cover letters/interviews.
-I met a few other recruiters who were similarly helpful through friends.
-I now regularly receive calls from a couple respectable recruiting firms. I have not interviewed for any of the positions they are recruiting for as I am happy where I am right now, but I've referred a few friends, some of whom were recruited into executive positions.

I think you'll all find that there will be some truly helpful recruiters as you move into management positions. The majority of upper management positions are not advertised and are sourced entirely through referrals and recruiters.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
First recruiter was Adecco - I did the WHMIS test and sat through a boring video. Had and interview and never heard from the person again.

2nd recruiter was in downtown - I was extremely hot in my dress clothes and was sweating like crazy during the interview. Never heard from that person again either.

But I've had good experiences with Peak Associates and HR Associates.

Peak Associates found me a job with a financial company - it was the same company my sister was working with

HR Associates got me an interview with EHealth a month after signing up with them.
Nov 21, 2003
143 posts
10 upvotes
can anyone recommended any qualified recruiters.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
mistry? wrote: can anyone recommended any qualified recruiters.

It depends what field your are looking to get into

Try the following for legal/admin jobs

http://www.kentlegal.com
http://www.cartelinc.com
http://www.zsa.ca
http://www.trafalgar.to

try these for public sector/accounting/legal/admin/finance/call centre/management
http://www.marberg.com
http://www1.altishr.com
http://www.optionscs.com

hope that helps
Nov 21, 2003
143 posts
10 upvotes
thanks moz

but im looking for finance/accounting jobs in banking, investment/mutual funds
Aug 8, 2011
700 posts
42 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
mistry? wrote: thanks moz

but im looking for finance/accounting jobs in banking, investment/mutual funds

Procountstaffing
Robert Half
Randstand
Ajilon Finance
Adecco
Mason Group

Hope this helps
Jan 5, 2006
59 posts
I believed I am registered with at least 3 agencies. Only had one that I actually got assignments from. If you don't get the first job with one of their clients, they won't contact you. They say to keep in touch, but they don't. Most of my positions are temporary, from weeks to months, and if you're lucky, they switch you over to contract or permanent. As expected, the pay is very low and the some are mind-numbingly boring. And leaving the company is not always easy, especially if you feel a sense of connection to the place (ie. I see a lot of sobbing. I was sad at first but I understand the nature of tempting so it wasn't so bad afterwards). Surprisingly, some agencies don't require you to go through another interview with client, which is good because you can start working right away.

I got some questions:

1. Has anyone actually gotten a permanent job from using agencies? If you have, was it through the temp-to-hire route? Of course, it's always better to apply directly because you are with that company and there is no middleman, but it's much easier to get a job immediately with these agencies because they have good connections.

2. When you register with agencies, did you provide references during your initial interview with them? It seems standard for them to pre-check your references before they send you out to their clients. I can say that most agencies do this and they send an email reminding you to bring them to the initial screening process. I hate the fact that they bother my references before I even get the job because my references are important (My previous supervisor seemed annoyed that they asked TOO many questions). Any agencies that DO NOT ask for your references before you get the job offer?

3. Anyone stopped using the agencies because they were not getting any good positions after being with them for a long period and was successfully offered a job directly through an online application? (This is a tougher process because you're competing with 100s, if not, 1000s of applicants with various credentials.)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
183 upvotes
snowball wrote: 1. Has anyone actually gotten a permanent job from using agencies? If you have, was it through the temp-to-hire route? Of course, it's always better to apply directly because you are with that company and there is no middleman, but it's much easier to get a job immediately with these agencies because they have good connections.

2. When you register with agencies, did you provide references during your initial interview with them? It seems standard for them to pre-check your references before they send you out to their clients. I can say that most agencies do this and they send an email reminding you to bring them to the initial screening process. I hate the fact that they bother my references before I even get the job because my references are important (My previous supervisor seemed annoyed that they asked TOO many questions). Any agencies that DO NOT ask for your references before you get the job offer?

3. Anyone stopped using the agencies because they were not getting any good positions after being with them for a long period and was successfully offered a job directly through an online application? (This is a tougher process because you're competing with 100s, if not, 1000s of applicants with various credentials.)

1. Yes

2. Yes, its hit or miss though and dependent on the requirement and/or recruiter.

3. No, agencies will always have their place in the industry. There will be good ones or bad ones. Sometimes its just a recruiter within an agency that makes you think negatively or positively of an agency as a whole.
Jan 13, 2011
462 posts
8 upvotes
im still in school here are my a few examples I had with a job fair I went to in feb

1st interview went well I get a call back next day

2nd interview manager kept changing the date and time first tuesday 2pm cancelled then thurs 2pm ,4pm then at 7pm finally when I get there I sit and wait for 40mins while she talking with other employees drinking coffee we do the interview she even introduces me to everyone in management like im going to be hired then I talk to a supervisor everything seems to have gone well and she tells me I will hear from them in like 3 days after a background check. I after I left about 15mins and check my email on my phone and I got a email saying I do not qualify WTF they clearly did not even do a background check or even considered my application if that happened.

What upset me was that some of the other applicants there were not even dressed ,most didn't even have a resume on them and they were told to write it on paper -_- or print one out in at the employment place across the street I found out alot of them were hired afterwards

what a joke wasted my time on these a$$holes then later like 2 weeks later I get a call from some random guy on my cell offering a job near steeles hwy 7 says needs no exp just looking for student to hire some marketing crap wouldn't didn't tell me his name or the place just the address and said I was referred I only applied to this place at the time so I assumed it was from them. I just said screw that
Dec 23, 2009
402 posts
46 upvotes
I got one that happened to me the other day:

I used to work for a large company and basically got screwed over by an incompetent supervisor when she trained me. Anyway I dropped my resume off at a local temp agency, had the interview and told the lady that I felt the job wasnt the right fit for me and wanted something more challenging. About 6 months later I get a call from the same lady who interviewed me and offered me a position...infact the EXACT same position, in the EXACT same department! Did you even bother to read your interview notes? Or wonder why I was only there for a short time? Holy geeze..
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
This was many years ago after I'd just graduated from University.. someone called from Gen2Solutions or something.. a Software Development group sub-sub-contractor for Microsoft.. and.. :lol: .. man I bombed that 50 min call haHAHAHAHAHA
Please thank me if you find this helpful

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)