• Aug 12th, 2017 3:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
310 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton

Shared front yard idea.

My neighbor never cut the grass ...maybe once a year. I tried really hard to keep it weed free (my side only) until last year( i treid for 4 years) and this year i gave up... so my front yard is now 70-80% dandelion....(her side is just dandelion)I called the city and they cant do anything about is as dandelion is not "noctorious weed"..

Anyways I want to divide our shared front yard and do "something".

Initially I thought about putting some fake lawn from costco but it doesnt look that simple to install..
Are there any cheaper way to make my front lawn look tidy? It doesnt need to look super nice. Im just sick of looking at weed... and the fact that i share something with my lazy neighbor makes me feel sick.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3223 posts
1897 upvotes
GTA
Most cities have a limit on the height of the grass/weeds. Here it's 8 inches, does Edmonton not have a similar law?
Otherwise you could convert your lawn to a more natural landscape, with local wild plants, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2239 posts
467 upvotes
Newmarket
How big is the front of the property, I have shared the front with the neighbours and since they didn't look after their grass, I started doing it, mind you the area was very small so it didn't take me much extra time, it looked nice, they appreciated it, and we had a good relationship which was much more important to me than making sure I only look after my side. They would give me a gift card and such each year, and I would have done it without any compensation regardless.

On another property the neighbours were better but still way below my standards, but at that time I was sick and tired of looking after the grass regardless so I decided for landscaping (rock, pebbles, some growing plants), maintenance was a breeze, how much you will spend will depend on what you want to do with it, and how much work you want to do yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7519 posts
1139 upvotes
Ontario
If you want to do "something" on your side of the lawn, AND are willing to take care of their side too, consider adding landscape on the side that borders your driveway (I'm assuming, or the opposite side you share), and up to your walkway. This is a very crude image, but this is the general idea:

That way, you can beautify your side, and if you want to cut both lawns, it'll be easy because it's continuous on the shared side.
In reality, no barrier is going to prevent weeds from migrating over.

The best solution would be to apply 'the good stuff' to remove and maintain a weed free lawn. And while I don't mind doing that on my own property, you'd have to be sure the neighbor doesn't either.

I certainly wouldn't pick weeds from my neighbor's property, but a simple spray doesn't take much.
And if you're not comfortable being on their side at all, I've seen connected lawns where one side was CLEARLY using a chemical to maintain it weed free, almost like a line, and then POOF, weed city on the other side.

If you're ok or at least on talking terms with your neighbor, I HIGHLY DOUBT they would object to you taking care of their side. If you said, "Hey, can I ask you something. I enjoy taking care of the lawn, being out here is therapeutic for me. Since our lawns are connected would you mind if I cut your side when I cut mine? I'll even take care of any weeds I see if I'm looking after my own, etc". Either offend them to act, or more likely, "sure, you're welcome to!" :) Or don't say anything and just do it anyway. If they're normal, they'll probably thank you.
Feb 4, 2010
304 posts
74 upvotes
It's really hard to give options when you have provided very limited information on the actual lawn and more on the disgust for your neighbour. I definitely would NOT go with fake grass. I would suggest that you give size of lawn and some pictures as well if you can't/don't want to take Homerhomer's advice.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Have u tried overseeding ur grass?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Apr 26, 2003
742 posts
164 upvotes
I'm in the same boat as the OP, I share a front lawn area with my neighbour who does nothing to maintain his lawn, outside of cutting it when it gets overgrown, which is like once a month.

It's a constant battle to keep the weeds at bay and the ONLY way to fight it is to have a strong lawn. Weeds can't penetrate a strong lawn, no matter how intense the weed infestation is.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
310 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton
This neighbor calls city on me for everything that i do in my backyard. For example I planted trees on the fence line because her 3 dogs bark at us every time we go òut to our backyard and she smokes all the time while looking down our lawn( her deck was built so high off the ground). We dont smoke and dont like smell it. She made up some stories saying my trees are growing over her side or whatever so guys from city came down to check it out. And they said everything looks fine.
I just dont want to deal with her. If she was nice i wouldnt mind taking care of her lawn but she is not a nice person.

I used cut her side lawn too but after i figured she called city without talking to me first I stopped talking to her.

And oh by the way lawn isnt that big as its a duplex house but dont want to take care of her side now.
Feb 4, 2010
304 posts
74 upvotes
I have a shared lawn with my neighbour as well. Previous owners put in a large flower bed in between - so there's my lawn, flower bed and neighbour's lawn. When I moved in I put in edging (see link below) to separate the flower bed from my neighbour's lawn which also is full of weeds and was coming into flower bed. I have found it makes a huge difference. However, because of wind and other factors out of your control you're going to get weeds regardless. Just look at weeding as outdoor exercise that's therapeutic. Like I said, it would be helpful if you posted pictures of your lawn since you're asking for ideas.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-F ... /205660098
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
310 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:47 pm
I have a shared lawn with my neighbour as well. Previous owners put in a large flower bed in between - so there's my lawn, flower bed and neighbour's lawn. When I moved in I put in edging (see link below) to separate the flower bed from my neighbour's lawn which also is full of weeds and was coming into flower bed. I have found it makes a huge difference. However, because of wind and other factors out of your control you're going to get weeds regardless. Just look at weeding as outdoor exercise that's therapeutic. Like I said, it would be helpful if you posted pictures of your lawn since you're asking for ideas.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-F ... /205660098
If thers 30-50 dandelions i would pick them up by hand..but honestly my lawn is 70% dandelions and 90% on my neighbors side. I sprayed some chemical on my side only and some of dandelions are dying. I was tempting to spray her side as well without telling her ( i just dont wanna talk to her...) but she has surveillance cameras everywhere around her house and would complain that i used chemical.

Anyways that edging thing is a good idea.. it shouldnt cost too much and i can separate my side from hers.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3134 posts
208 upvotes
Ottawa
Put up a border/barrier along the property line, till your side and plant some periwinkle or other hardy, low-maintenance ground cover. Unless you like to walk on it, there's no point sticking with grass.

We don't have the same situation as you but got tired of a part of our lawn that baked in the sun and the grass struggled - but the weeds loved it. After a few years of that, we tilled it all up and planted bunches of periwinkle about 3' apart and spread composted pine mulch at 3" thick between those plants. Within 2 years, it was a gorgeous, thick carpet of green - all year round. And it really does a great job at choking out weeds. We had to pull dandelions for those first 2 years but this year we had 1 or 2 weeds in 2000 sq ft. And the best part is that there is no mowing EVER.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10103 posts
115 upvotes
hogujak wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:54 pm
This neighbor calls city on me for everything that i do in my backyard. For example I planted trees on the fence line because her 3 dogs bark at us every time we go òut to our backyard and she smokes all the time while looking down our lawn( her deck was built so high off the ground). We dont smoke and dont like smell it. She made up some stories saying my trees are growing over her side or whatever so guys from city came down to check it out. And they said everything looks fine.
I just dont want to deal with her. If she was nice i wouldnt mind taking care of her lawn but she is not a nice person.

I used cut her side lawn too but after i figured she called city without talking to me first I stopped talking to her.

And oh by the way lawn isnt that big as its a duplex house but dont want to take care of her side now.
Maybe you can plant tobacco on her front yard? She can dry and smoke it to hasten her early death and it won't be as bad as dandelions for spreading weeds.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1553 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
put a hedge down the middle of the lawn