Fashion & Beauty

Are "Sharkskin" suits acceptable in a business environment or in any formal setting?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 6:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1305 posts
113 upvotes

Are "Sharkskin" suits acceptable in a business environment or in any formal setting?

i saw some suits labeled as "shark skin".

i googled on what they are and they basically have a slightly adjusted material in them mixed in the wool.

they dont look that much different from the photos online, but most ive seen are all "stock" photos and even the close ups dont help.

i know from elementary school sharks ahve a sand paper like skin. is it just a rough finish? would these suits be acceptable in formal settings?

i saw some on sale and wanted to check before i pull the trigger: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Product ... 0095848974
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3130 posts
1901 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
May 30th, 2018 7:23 pm
i saw some suits labeled as "shark skin".

i googled on what they are and they basically have a slightly adjusted material in them mixed in the wool.

they dont look that much different from the photos online, but most ive seen are all "stock" photos and even the close ups dont help.

i know from elementary school sharks ahve a sand paper like skin. is it just a rough finish? would these suits be acceptable in formal settings?

i saw some on sale and wanted to check before i pull the trigger: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Product ... 0095848974
Sharkskin is fine for work.

For $400 you can get yourself a better suit from https://ca.suitsupply.com/

If your budget can be slightly higher, I'd recommend https://www.oliverwicks.com/
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3751 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
Depends where you work. For me, business suits aren't really formal. I mean I wouldn't wear a Don Cherry suit, but it's not at the same level as a formal dinner. Sharkskin, birdseye and other textures would be fine for work in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11753 posts
1686 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Thought sharkskin means the suit has a sheen or irridescence.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3130 posts
1901 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
May 31st, 2018 1:57 am
do u own a sharkskin? what exactly is the difference?
No but I've seen plenty in person. I own a navy bird's eye suit, which is a very similar pattern to the sharkskin.

What other suits do you own? I'd recommend a navy suit as your first suit as it's by far the most versatile.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4870 posts
165 upvotes
I own sharkskin suits and use for business environments. There's no big difference even though people say there's more sheen/shine to it. It's only a bit more than the regular colour suits.

It adds a bit of texture so it isn't as flat as a plain navy/grey/black suit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1305 posts
113 upvotes
Omakase wrote:
May 30th, 2018 8:25 pm
Yup looks good
Manatus wrote:
May 30th, 2018 8:43 pm
Depends where you work. For me, business suits aren't really formal. I mean I wouldn't wear a Don Cherry suit, but it's not at the same level as a formal dinner. Sharkskin, birdseye and other textures would be fine for work in my opinion.
Becks wrote:
May 31st, 2018 3:11 pm
Thought sharkskin means the suit has a sheen or irridescence.
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 2:20 am
I own sharkskin suits and use for business environments. There's no big difference even though people say there's more sheen/shine to it. It's only a bit more than the regular colour suits.

It adds a bit of texture so it isn't as flat as a plain navy/grey/black suit.
so i ended up picking up the shark skin suit i linked. it was on clearance and i thought what the heck, can return if it doesnt look good. i currently have a navy MDM, and a black suit and advice from other threads about suits suggested charcoal or grey of some kind as a good third suit.

to anyone looking at this thread, the sharkskin material is still wool, says 100% on label, but it feels and looks different. looks, it adds a bit of a "sheen" as another RFDer mention. and the feel, if u ever felt those microfiber cloths before, thats exactly how it feels, very soft and nice to the touch.

the suit is amazingly made in canada from michael kors.

its SUPER slim fit, like it should have been labeled as "extreme slim fit".

how do you guys think it looks? i need to get the legs hemed and the waist extended by 1 inch since its a 29 and i usually wear 30 if i decide to keep.

the jacket is a 36 S. arm length and jacke tlength look good. the shoulder "feel" a bit tight but "looks" ok? debating whether to exchange it for a 38 to try.

what do you guys think of how it looks/fits?

it was 299...plus import feels and taces brought it nearly 400 XD
Images
  • 061A9312.jpg
  • 061A9313.jpg
  • 061A9314.jpg
  • 061A9315.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1305 posts
113 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:34 pm
Nice & clean white socks.
my focus was on the suit and the pants werent even hemmed so i forgoed the dress shoes.

how does it look mebiuspower?
Nov 29, 2017
900 posts
660 upvotes
Looks great and I think it was a wise purchase
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7269 posts
1228 upvotes
I have wore Sharkskin to almost any type of event so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the color is dark enough, you can get away.

On the suit, if I must, I say the fit is okay but could be a bit more fitted but if you are young, you may want to leave some room for growth anyway.

For the overall look, may be consider a tie that is a bit narrower too, right now looks a bit wide or try a smaller knot, like a half windsor and see if it helps.

All in all, not a bad purchase.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: