• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2017 10:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes

Sharp 75" 4k HDR TV owners thread

Hey guys I'm creating this thread because a lot of us got in on the deals on this TV recently from Costco and Visions. Actually I'm still hearing about people buying them from Visions so they could even still be available at the clearance price (~$2000CAD).

I have spent over a week with the TV now and I really like it overall. HDR content looks stunning. Uniformity is excellent overall aside from a couple of issues. Sports also look great and the 120hz feature works well. Here are some details you guys might want to know about this TV:

- HDMI ports 3 and 4 are full HDMI 2.0 ports and they can do 4k resolution at 60hz, with 4:4:4 chroma for PC use (make sure you choose "enhanced" in the HDMI settings in the TV)
- when you first set up the TV, make sure you set the region to USA and also use wifi to connect; apparently other regions won't get the HDR firmware update if you don't use USA as your region to begin with, and also I'm hearing that using wifi seems to be a more reliable way to get the update
- HDMI port 2 is for ARC, although I couldn't get it working with my Samsung sound bar
- the TV has an auto brightness sensor that works well
- the TV is *extremely* heavy; you will need two strong people both to get the box into your house and also to unpack it
- the legs are already attached
- both the feet and the outer edge frame of the TV are metal
- input lag is decent for gaming but not outstanding; it's better with the "game" mode enabled, but then the picture quality suffers
- the upscaling on this TV is outstanding

Overall I'm extremely pleased with mine and I don't think it's far off from the Samsung and LG TVs from this tier. I am hearing that the panel in this TV is still made by Sharp even though they are now owned by Hisense.

People are reporting that for technical support with this TV you need to contact Hisense Canada.

My TV came with no dead pixels. So far I have only noticed two minor problems:

- there is a very minor uniformity problem near the bottom corners on a white screen; approximately 4" up on the side edges there is a small bright spot (it's barely noticeable and I'm probably just being way too fussy)
- there appears to be some minor flashlighting from the bottom edge in a pitch black room on a completely black screen; I haven't had a good look at this to test it further but I did notice it last night for the first time (this is not noticeable unless your room is completely dark; you don't see it at all with any sort of ambient light)

I hope that helps you guys! Let's keep this thread going to help all the new owners. It would be great if you guys could also share your thoughts on this particular model (Sharp LC-75N8000U).
Last edited by SickBeast on Jun 2nd, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Zoomer customer.
85 replies
Sep 7, 2003
391 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks for creating this. I picked mine up from Costco a few weeks back when the price dropped to $1999. So far I'm really happy with it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by ARC? I have a Onkyo receiver that I'm using via HDMI to hook up to the TV. For this I used the HDMI 1 port. Should I be using HDMI 2? What would be the difference as I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to take the panel off the wall (heavy!!!).

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes
vistokid wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 2:58 pm
Thanks for creating this. I picked mine up from Costco a few weeks back when the price dropped to $1999. So far I'm really happy with it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by ARC? I have a Onkyo receiver that I'm using via HDMI to hook up to the TV. For this I used the HDMI 1 port. Should I be using HDMI 2? What would be the difference as I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to take the panel off the wall (heavy!!!).

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure HDMI ARC is supposed to be through HDMI port 2. Is your receiver a 4k receiver? Does it have HDMI 2.0 ports? The problem with HDMI port 2 is that it's only HDMI 1.4 and can therefore only do 30hz at 4k resolution. I also don't think it has HDCP 2.2. I really think the ARC feature on this TV is best suited for a sound bar. What I tried to do was hook my soundbar up to HDMI port 2 for ARC and then I hooked up my Wii U to the soundbar. Unfortunately I couldn't get ARC working, probably because my Samsung soundbar can only do it with a Samsung TV. What ARC does is it allows you to use the TV volume control to control the volume of your speakers or your soundbar. It's a convenience thing.

If you have a modern 4k receiver that has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you're going to want to hook it up to either HDMI port 3 or 4 because they are both HDMI 2.0 ports with support for HDCP 2.2 and also 4k resolution at 60hz and also 4:4:4 chroma for PC usage.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you are able to get ARC working if you decide to try it.

Also, can you tell us how you were able to wall mount this TV? I'm hearing really bad things about the wall mount screws and setup.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 29, 2006
264 posts
159 upvotes
Quebec city
For wall mount, I used the Kanto FMX3 sold at Costco.

Unfortunately, the studs in my wall were on the left side of the FMX3 which didn't quite reach the next one.

I removed a 32 inch by 24 inch of dry wall. Replaced it with half inch plywood. The plywood was screwed to 3 studs with 6 inch screws.

Then I installed the FMX3 over plywood. I think this is the easiest and stongest way.

About than ARC HDMI. I don't used it either. It's HDMI 1.4.

I bought a 4K receiver. Everything is plugged into the receiver. The receiver is plugged into HDMI3.

For the TV apps, I used the optic out of the TV.

This is the best way I found, but necessitate the purchase of a receiver.
Jul 29, 2006
264 posts
159 upvotes
Quebec city
It looks like this while wall mounted. The guitar gives you a sense of the size. Picture is from floor to about 8 inches from the ceiling.

The black bars are really black. Even in the upper left right corner where there is more light.

Keep in mind it's not exactly like that: it's the best I could do with my phone. But it's very close. It's a little bright.

Sharp wall mounted

Speakers will be painted this weekend. :)
Sep 7, 2003
391 posts
28 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 3:03 pm
I'm pretty sure HDMI ARC is supposed to be through HDMI port 2. Is your receiver a 4k receiver? Does it have HDMI 2.0 ports? The problem with HDMI port 2 is that it's only HDMI 1.4 and can therefore only do 30hz at 4k resolution. I also don't think it has HDCP 2.2. I really think the ARC feature on this TV is best suited for a sound bar. What I tried to do was hook my soundbar up to HDMI port 2 for ARC and then I hooked up my Wii U to the soundbar. Unfortunately I couldn't get ARC working, probably because my Samsung soundbar can only do it with a Samsung TV. What ARC does is it allows you to use the TV volume control to control the volume of your speakers or your soundbar. It's a convenience thing.

If you have a modern 4k receiver that has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you're going to want to hook it up to either HDMI port 3 or 4 because they are both HDMI 2.0 ports with support for HDCP 2.2 and also 4k resolution at 60hz and also 4:4:4 chroma for PC usage.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you are able to get ARC working if you decide to try it.

Also, can you tell us how you were able to wall mount this TV? I'm hearing really bad things about the wall mount screws and setup.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. How would I know if ARC is working? I use my speaker system for audio so essentially the TV is just a monitor.

The mounting was actually really easy! I had a 70" Sharp already so I just used that mount (monoprice - about 7 years old). The 70" Sharp went in the family room and this one is now in the bonus room. The only thing that we had to do was move the mount up about 2 feet because for some reason this tv sits lower. But yeah took about 20 minutes to do.
Images
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes
vistokid wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:02 pm
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. How would I know if ARC is working? I use my speaker system for audio so essentially the TV is just a monitor.

The mounting was actually really easy! I had a 70" Sharp already so I just used that mount (monoprice - about 7 years old). The 70" Sharp went in the family room and this one is now in the bonus room. The only thing that we had to do was move the mount up about 2 feet because for some reason this tv sits lower. But yeah took about 20 minutes to do.
If ARC is working I'm pretty sure you will be able to adjust the volume on your receiver using the TV remote. I've never actually successfully enabled ARC though so perhaps someone with more experience can chime in. I'm glad to help!
I am a Zoomer customer.
Sep 7, 2003
391 posts
28 upvotes
Did you get yours from Costco? If so did you buy the extended warranty for $100? I'm still wondering if it's worth it to get it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1291 posts
119 upvotes
vistokid wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:02 pm

Same here, I had a 70" Sharp too.

ARC controls your other devices volume, turn on and off through TV.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes
vistokid wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:31 am
Did you get yours from Costco? If so did you buy the extended warranty for $100? I'm still wondering if it's worth it to get it.
I got mine at Visions. They wanted $289 for the warranty so I didn't get it. Also the Visions warranty only gives you a $1000 replacement value after 3 years apparently.

$100 for the warranty at Costco is a no brainer IMO. I would definitely buy the Costco warranty.

Is this TV still available at Costco?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 29, 2006
264 posts
159 upvotes
Quebec city
There was stock at Costco in Quebec city wednesday.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes
What's interesting is that this TV has 88% wide color gamut coverage, which is the same as the Sony X850E which costs $4500CAD and has an IPS panel with inferior contrast ratio and blacks. I don't even think the Sony has local dimming.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10467 posts
3787 upvotes
Do any of you guys have any uniformity issues with this TV? I have a slightly bright spot on the left edge of the screen 4" up from the bottom. It's a very small spot but it's bright enough that I notice it during normal viewing. I just really think Sharp would say that it's within spec and normal if I say anything about it. I'm just wondering if you guys see it on yours. I also see it a bit on the right edge in the same spot. I figure it's just the way the backlight is designed on this TV. I would appreciate it if you guys can see it on yours also. I notice it most on a white screen. I guess I can't expect this thing to be perfect.
I am a Zoomer customer.