• Jun 21st, 2017 4:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
DanTou wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 5:45 pm
Now $1500 at my local Costco in Quebec City.
Wow that's an unbelievable deal! So first you guys got cheap electricity and $8/day daycare, and now you have cheap TVs to go along with it. Mon Dieu. I wonder if Visions would give me price protection. Would you mind taking a picture of the price sign the next time you're there?
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Mar 7, 2011
38 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DanTou wrote: Now $1500 at my local Costco in Quebec City.
Wow! Would you mind taking a picture of the price next time you are at the Whitehorse?
Mar 7, 2011
38 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone, I bought this tv on sunday and yesterday it was delivered. I was playing a little bit with it, and found out I didn't get the latest update.

Old firmware: V00.01.00a.G0922
New firmware: V00.01.00a.G1114

I tried several things:
- Factory Reset
- Connect via WiFi/Ethernet
- Connect to VPN with US IP address
no luck at all.
I called HiSense Canada and they gave me their "we are working on a firmware" answer. So I called to Sharp/HiSense USA, explained the problem and they sent an email with a link to download the firmware and instructions on how to update the firmware to the latest version.
They told me this firmware enabled the TV to display HDR images coming from XBOX One S.

After following all the steps I can't make the tv start the upgrade process. Tried different USB drives. Has anyone been successful updating their TV?
Instructions:

1. Follow the link above and download the file. The file will be compressed, so using a built-in or downloaded (i.e. Winzip) unzipping software, extract all files.
2. Locate the file ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’. Copy and paste this file into an EMPTY FAT32 formatted USB Stick.
a. Please ensure that NOTHING ELSE is on the USB, ONLY the ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’ file.
b. DO NOT CHANGE OR RENAME THE ‘upgrade_loader.pkg’ FILE!
3. Safely Eject the USB from your PC by right clicking on the USB(on your Desktop or in your My Computer) and selecting ‘Eject’, then unplug the USB from your PC.
4. Turn OFF the Sharp TV.
5. Plug the USB in to the TV’s top most USB port (located on the rear of the TV).
6. Press and hold the POWER button on the Hisense TV Remote Control, once you see “Software updating…” appear on the screen you may RELEASE the power button.
7. Please wait and let the Software Update process finish.
a. The Software Update Process will complete without any further user interaction.
b. The Process should take between 5-8 minutes.
c. Please DO NOT turn OFF the TV during this process.
8. When the update is complete, the “Software updating…” Screen will disappear and the TV will come up as it normally does.
9. Remove the USB from the back of the TV.
10. Power ON the TV and press MENU or the Gear-Shaped Button on your remote.
11. Go down to System and press the right directional button to move into the System Menu
12. Go down to HDMI Function and press OK
13. Go to HDMI 2.0 Format and press OK. A pop-up window will appear listing 2 options – Choose Enhanced HDMI to enable HDR via HDMI.

And now your TV is updated!
Mar 7, 2011
38 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nevermind, I was able to solve it.

I had to disconnect the TV from the power outlet and plug it again for it to read the USB drive
arielcanarg wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:15 pm
Hi everyone, I bought this tv on sunday and yesterday it was delivered. I was playing a little bit with it, and found out I didn't get the latest update.

Old firmware: V00.01.00a.G0922
New firmware: V00.01.00a.G1114

I tried several things:
- Factory Reset
- Connect via WiFi/Ethernet
- Connect to VPN with US IP address
no luck at all.
I called HiSense Canada and they gave me their "we are working on a firmware" answer. So I called to Sharp/HiSense USA, explained the problem and they sent an email with a link to download the firmware and instructions on how to update the firmware to the latest version.
They told me this firmware enabled the TV to display HDR images coming from XBOX One S.

After following all the steps I can't make the tv start the upgrade process. Tried different USB drives. Has anyone been successful updating their TV?
Sep 23, 2012
1 posts
Vancouver
Can you share a link to the firmware download? Thanks :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
Thank you @arielcanarg! That is extremely helpful. I had a feeling Hisense would come through for you guys. It's disappointing that the Canadian department was not aware of this.
Mar 7, 2011
38 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pauldon wrote: Can you share a link to the firmware download? Thanks :)
This is the info I got:

Directions for updating the firmware on your television:

1. Go to: http://drive.hisense.us/owncloud/index. ... TGLjvjwcx6
2. Download the update to your computer
3. Copy the designated software ”upgrade_loader.pkg” into the root of a blank USB thumb drive.
4. (Please do not change the file name)
5. Plug the USB into TV with TV off (as shown in attached instructions.)
6. Turn TV on with remote.
7. Follow instructions prompted by TV
8. Once TV is and you can unplug the USB and enjoy your TV.
9. The software update process will continue without additional user interaction.

After the TV not reading my USB drive, I unplugged the tv and left it unplugged for 2 minutes. After plugging it back again, TV started updating process.
Images
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2617 posts
139 upvotes
Anyone know if this is available in Ontario anywhere still...?
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1281 posts
118 upvotes
Thanks for the info!!

After upgraded how to set the HDR future? Couldn't find it from the setting menu.
arielcanarg wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 5:11 pm
This is the info I got:

Directions for updating the firmware on your television:

1. Go to: http://drive.hisense.us/owncloud/index. ... TGLjvjwcx6
2. Download the update to your computer
3. Copy the designated software ”upgrade_loader.pkg” into the root of a blank USB thumb drive.
4. (Please do not change the file name)
5. Plug the USB into TV with TV off (as shown in attached instructions.)
6. Turn TV on with remote.
7. Follow instructions prompted by TV
8. Once TV is and you can unplug the USB and enjoy your TV.
9. The software update process will continue without additional user interaction.

After the TV not reading my USB drive, I unplugged the tv and left it unplugged for 2 minutes. After plugging it back again, TV started updating process.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
Star* wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 7:14 pm
Thanks for the info!!

After upgraded how to set the HDR future? Couldn't find it from the setting menu.
There is no "setting" to enable HDR. It's always turned on. You just need to stream some HDR content to the TV. You should make sure that the "enhanced" mode is enabled in your HDMI settings, that will give you proper 4k HDR support over HDMI.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
Star* wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:38 pm
Thank you!
You're welcome! Enjoy the TV! :)