sharpening saw blades

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 1:10 pm
Nov 13, 2007
326 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto

sharpening saw blades

Does anyone get their dull saw blades sharpened? Is this even done anymore. I am in the south end of Toronto and have a number of 10 and 12" blades that would be a shame to not give more life to.
4 replies
Jan 11, 2017
164 posts
90 upvotes
yes, i'm not in your area so i cant speak on cost or a location but you pay per tooth. it is worth it up to 40 tooth blades but 60 and higher start to become questionable for sharpen vs replace. you can sharpen 2x usually and they can braze new carbide teeth on .
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
I have a sander that does it, I'm in the south west end. I'm not cheap tho :)
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
People (including me) do it all the time. I find a re-sharpened blade is smoother and keeps its edge longer than a factory sharpened one. That way I can justify paying more for Freud Industrial or Premier blades (basically anything non-diablo). Higher quality blades are night and day better when cutting anything with glue that dulls the blade in 15 minutes and starts chomping into the wood instead of cutting clean (laminate, melamine, mdf).

I don't know anywhere in Toronto but many places in Ottawa have a drop by 5 pick up by noon next day service for contractors (runs about $20 for 60 tooth). Little side note; when I hire a contractor I always notice his blade. If it's some older blade with worn out lettering that's been sharpened a large number of times (and likely re-carbided many many times) I know he'll probably do a meticulous job of whatever I hire him for. If he's installing a brand new home depot $9.99 special before starting his day I know he doesn't take care of or value his tools...which is probably the level of care I'm getting with his work.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I used to get my blades sharpened locally for $20ish bucks by a couple that did it out of their garage. They did a great job. They moved and moved into a proper shop and doubled their prices to a minimum of $40. Considering I still have an "in" with a few tool companies, I can't justify the price except on some of my most expensive blades like my melamine, fine tooth wood trim and flooring blades that were each ridiculously expensive.

I need to start doing it myself as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)