Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1239 posts
59 upvotes

Shaw BB50 + Cisco 3825 (Bridge Mode) + Two Routers

Hi:

I want to setup two networks in my house. I believe Shaw gives you two ip addresses - is it possible to use the Cisco 3825 and put it in bridge mode (since the wireless sucks) and then connect two wireless routers to the modem?

I want to have seperate networks (one for tenants and one for me).

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20495 posts
1253 upvotes
Aurora
You have a BB50 (SMC) Cable Modem

You want to connect a Cisco 3825 and two additional routers?

The Cisco is an over kill

Put the BB50 into Bridge Mode, connected it to a simple 4 port switch. Then cables from the Switch to the WAN Ports of your wireless routers.

This will seperate your network, but depending on how Shaw assigns the Public IPs, they may still get into your network through the WAN

The only sure fire way is to get a managed switch, create a VLAN and isolate the network.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
shaw gives 1 public IP.
that public ip is assigned to your modem.
everything behind your router is on a separate subnet and is assigned a class c ip.
i do not understand why you need 2 seperate networks if you are both on the same network to begin with?
just setup 1 router and have ip rules established and ap isolation ON in your router.
that way wireless clients will NOT be able to establish contact with each other and ONLY with the router.
if you want to go one step further uncheck file and printer sharing in the properties of your wireless connection.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20495 posts
1253 upvotes
Aurora
I can't speak for Shaw, but Rogers offers a second IP for $10 per month. This was for people who had multiple computers and no router. So you just needed a basic switch
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
The Cisco router would be useful if you has an assigned block of IPs (but even then it'd still consider it MEGA super duper overkill). However, you're most likely going to be receiving your IPs via DHCP, in which case your layout should look like this.

Modem --> 10/100 switch (don't waste $ on Gbit) --> 1 port for your tenant, 1 port for you, each with a public IP. --> Your router/your tenant's router on each port connecting to "WAN" port of each router.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1239 posts
59 upvotes
Hi thanks for the comments. Sorry about the confusion.

I have a Cisco 3825 Router/Modem right now and want to make the router / modem into a modem only and then attach two routers to this modem. Primarily I was wondering if the Cisco 3825 Modem in bridge mode would become a 4 port switch and if Shaw gives two IPs for BB50.

I should have checked earlier... but I found this thread:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-v ... n-1089365/

Jlee says that the modem can be used as a 4 port switch when turned to bridge mode.

Thanks for your advice.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
Phoenix88 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2012 10:38 pm
Hi thanks for the comments. Sorry about the confusion.

I have a Cisco 3825 Router/Modem right now and want to make the router / modem into a modem only and then attach two routers to this modem. Primarily I was wondering if the Cisco 3825 Modem in bridge mode would become a 4 port switch and if Shaw gives two IPs for BB50.

I should have checked earlier... but I found this thread:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-v ... n-1089365/

Jlee says that the modem can be used as a 4 port switch when turned to bridge mode.

Thanks for your advice.

You have a "Cisco DPC3825", you do not have a "Cisco 3825 router". Google Cisco 3825 and you'll understand why you must make this distinction.

This is making more sense now.. So to answer your question, you would be correct in your thinking, configure the DPC3825 to bridge the modem to the switch ports (bridge mode) then connect a router to each of the switch ports. In this mode you're just passing WAN directly through to the switch ports, or at least should be.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
× < >