Shopping Discussion

Is Shaw the cheapest high speed internet provider in vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2010 4:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 31, 2007
263 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver

Is Shaw the cheapest high speed internet provider in vancouver?

I hear from everyone hear that Shaw is the best high speed internet provider in terms of service and price. Is that true? I need a high speed internet provider!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1204 posts
216 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Depends on where in Vancouver you are, really. Shaw tends to offer special prices for different areas, although I'd much rather go with Novus if I was in a building served by them. Additionally, Shaw really sucks if you're on a crowded node. I recently moved from Shaw to Telus's fiber service and I like it quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
Telus or Shaw . . . 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I've been with both alternately for about 15 years now and barely notice the diff (mind you, I don't use the fastest level, super-ultra-mega-insane-extreme-whatevertheyrecallingiitthismonth service. Pricing see-saws a bit and bundling can help, but overall the bill has always been around $30-$35 a month for my highspeed, whether with Telus or Shaw.

I like Shaw much better from a customer service perspective . . . no contracts, generally friendly and helpful installers, and you get to speak to reasonably knowledgeable people in Canada if you phone in for account or tech support issues. Most of Telus' CSRs are in the Philippines and seem to know very little of anything about anything.

When you say Vancouver, do you mean the actual City of Vancouver, or one of the other 'burbs that comprise Greater Vancouver? Not all areas are served by Shaw; there are still some areas controlled by other local cable companies, so Shaw might not necessarily be an option for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
6668 posts
640 upvotes
Burnaby
Telus has a 10/10/10 deal in certain areas of Vancouver, check the hot deals forum
Nov 1, 2005
159 posts
31 upvotes
Personally, i've always preferred a dsl connection (hence telus and all others that provide it in that fashion). being in vancouver, and with such a dense population around me (apartments and townhouses), cable i find is too slow during peak periods, when i will use it most.

Both shaw (cable) and telus (dsl) can provide competitive pricing, and its up to you to get the best deal. most prices are short term (eg telus 10/10/10 deal) with cheap pricing for 3 or 6 months before back to normal price. I've seen shaw pricing for $9.95 for 3 or 6 months as well, but will revert back to its $30-$50 pricing depending if you have other services bundled.

Customer service, i've rated equal. both have their pros and cons, and i've used both in the last decade.
Sep 7, 2009
271 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Novus is the best, if it's available where you live.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4741 posts
745 upvotes
BC
MarvelQuiz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2010 1:19 pm
Both shaw (cable) and telus (dsl) can provide competitive pricing, and its up to you to get the best deal.
Customer service, i've rated equal. both have their pros and cons, and i've used both in the last decade.
+1

It depends on your exact location, and what the competitors are offering there.

Shaw can have what looks like cheaper short-term deals, but you will paying their really high rate after the 3 or 6 mos.

The Telus deals are usually over a longer period, such as 12 mos. (no contract required).

Customer Service - what people will tell you is based on their own criteria for customer service.
That may be different from yours.

Telus is more geared toward self-installs by mailing you the modem, whereas with Shaw you have to schedule a (needless) technician visit,
within a time window that can be really inconvenient to you. Particularly when they come early, or cancel.

Telephone wait times with Shaw can be really long, but helpfulness and knowledge of staff is fairly consistent.
With Telus, you are more likely to get a quicker response, but the quality of that response is highly variable, depending on who you get.
Can be excellent, or terrible.
Feb 16, 2010
10 posts
?
I've never used Telus but I'm happy with Shaw.

The past couple times I called in, the wait times weren't long and the CSR's were friendly and helpful.
× < >