• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 11:58 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2008
500 posts
121 upvotes
London

[Shaw] Shaw Direct Ontario Package Deal and receivers

This has been an ongoing deal for new customers in Ontario for Shaw Direct. Similar packages are available in other parts of the country but i do not have specifics on them.

What i read on other forums is that current customers have had varied success at trying to change to this package, but the best luck has been through emailing customer service and asking them to switch to this package.

I just signed up for this package through a direct sales rep as the person at Shaw wouldnt offer it to me. (EDITED because of the previous forum, PM me if you want the contact information for the sales rep)

I was able to get 3 HD receivers each at $100 + a one time imediate account credit of $125 + a 50$ pay per view credit good for 8 movies within 3 months. I am getting it installed on Saturday but definetely a good deal for the receivers and for the package of programming its the best ive seen.
Ontario Value Package 38.99
Multi receiver fee 5.99
Movies 15
Total monthly fee = 60$.

Also Shaw doesnt have any extra fees like Bell's $3 one

Shaw was going to offer me my first HD receiver for 49$ and then 200$ each for the next 2 and a 100$ instant credit and the 50$ payper view credit, but they were not able to offer that direct sales package for some reason.

The only thing that i just read is that the receivers might become discontinued at the end of the summer and new ones released, but still cant complain for this deal, alot better then what i found for Bell or Rogers.

UPDATE: I have updated the channel listing above because mine was out of date. Pretty similar package, just a few more channels have been added however the price for HD sports has increased because more channels have been added. Also note all the pick and play channels that you can add to this package.

Also ill explain the receiver promotions better. Promo prices are:
SD = 49.99
HD = 99.99
HD PVR = 249.99 (refurbished but comes with the same warranty ect)

On top of those promo prices you get an instant credit of $75 for the first receiver no matter which one of the above you order and then $25 in additional credit for each additional receiver no matter which of the above.

On top of these credits you will receive the $50 pay per view credits that are good for 8 movies over 3 months time. Hope this helps to clarify things

UPDATE: THE PRICES HAVE INCREASED TO 40.98 for the bundle itself and i believe some of the add on packages have increased a buck each or something.

UPDATE 2: Here are the promos for the new receivers

630 hdpvr $299
605 hd $99
209 $49
$75 discount on the fisrt reciever and then 25$ on any additional

UPDATE 3: Here is the new channel lineup called digital indulgence. It replaces the Ontario Extra Value Package.

Image[/IMG]
1921 replies
[OP]
Oct 15, 2008
500 posts
121 upvotes
London
NG wrote:
May 12th, 2010 5:12 pm
This is only for houses btw. Even if you're at the right angle and can mount a dish at your apt they still won't give you this deal.
That may be the case if ordered through Shaw themselves, but this guy i would assume wouldnt care and would give you the deal. He asked me if i had an appt number at the adress i was giving him, so thats why i assume that, worth a shot trying if your interested in the deal atleast i would say?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
I haven't heard of any such deals in BC. Has anyone?

I currently have pay about $58 in BC for something similar to this deal that's being offered in Ontario for $38. Shaw scumbags.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1787 posts
287 upvotes
I don't see it listed but OasisHD is also currently available for free to ShawDirect subscribers (channel 258).

More info here.
Dec 9, 2007
881 posts
337 upvotes
NG wrote:
May 12th, 2010 5:12 pm
This is only for houses btw. Even if you're at the right angle and can mount a dish at your apt they still won't give you this deal.
I'm in St. Catharines got this deal installed on May 1st on my Apartment. I don't think they really care.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2008
500 posts
121 upvotes
London
eugeneo wrote:
May 12th, 2010 8:19 pm
I'm in St. Catharines got this deal installed on May 1st on my Apartment. I don't think they really care.
How do you like the service so far out of curiosity since im getting it saturday.. is the quality good?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1370 posts
118 upvotes
We signed up for the same 1 year package last Fall, its OK but now lacking in HD Ch. A few were moved or changed the HD movie Ch was cut & pissed me off.
It’s a half decent way to go when starting out with SAT. As long as you stay just with the original pack & don’t add other items, its reasonable.

Each referral directed to the salesperson = 1 month FREE basic service.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1749 posts
133 upvotes
For more info you can read previous treads here and an 'older' list of channels here
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Nov 29, 2006
996 posts
82 upvotes
Im moving into a new place in a couple of months and I'm actually looking for Shaw cable/internet combo deals.....anyone know of any? They currently have a promotion for new customers where their basic cable is $25 for the first 6 months then 45 there after......and $10 for the net for the first 6 months but then 50 after....
Jan 15, 2008
866 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
I got this flyer in the mail too. Im considering it for sure. Might use its price plan and call Robbers to see if they will match.
What i want is a PVR...Does Shaw provide this?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1061 posts
105 upvotes
Warning: The current line of Shaw receivers only have DVI (and NOT HDMI) outputs. This might be an issue for some people.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2008
500 posts
121 upvotes
London
Genblue wrote:
May 13th, 2010 12:39 pm
Warning: The current line of Shaw receivers only have DVI (and NOT HDMI) outputs. This might be an issue for some people.
Ya, but you can get a dvi to HDMI so you are able to still input it into your TV. You just need run audio seperately to the TV. They are supposed to be coming out with new receivers some time in the near future (3-4 months)
Jan 15, 2008
866 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
Im assuming the satellite dish and installation is included in the price?

Flyer says I choose between a SD or an HD receiver... I may as well pick the HD receiver if its free right? I don't have an HD tv (good ol CRT), so I should take the HD receiver for now so that im ready for when my tv dies and I finally upgrade.
Dec 9, 2007
881 posts
337 upvotes
FunkyC wrote:
May 12th, 2010 10:47 pm
How do you like the service so far out of curiosity since im getting it saturday.. is the quality good?
Coming from Basic cable I love all the new channels i'm getting. Furthermore given the cost of Cogeco Digital or even Cogeco Analogue, its miles better. Also the incentives that they gave me ($100 Promo Credit, and $29.99 for a HD receiver) its a fantastic value.

I'm in the process of procuring another dish and receiver for my cottage. As far as I know they don't care if you have them in multiple locations.