Ongoing Deal Discussion

Shaw

Shaw Direct Ontario Package Deal and receivers

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2023 1:46 am
Nov 29, 2006
996 posts
83 upvotes
The Master wrote: Im moving into a new place in a couple of months and I'm actually looking for Shaw cable/internet combo deals.....anyone know of any? They currently have a promotion for new customers where their basic cable is $25 for the first 6 months then 45 there after......and $10 for the net for the first 6 months but then 50 after....
anyone?
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
paulo500 wrote: Thanks FunkyC.
So even if i go with the HD receiver, i dont need to subscribe to HD packages? (Discovery HD, HD Sports, etc.)? I can utilize the "No Extra Cost HD Package" which im assuming is included with the "Ontario Extra Value Package" $39 option?
ya you would get the no charge HD channels if they are included in the standard package. But you obviously wont be able to watch the HD channels unless you have an HD TV.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
If the receiver is free you might as well get the HD one since the HD pack includes WGN which isn't in the standard package *and* the logo colour is dfferent than the WGN in the movies pack which suggests one is WGN Chicago and WGN America (two different feeds aside from news).
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
NG wrote: If the receiver is free you might as well get the HD one since the HD pack includes WGN which isn't in the standard package *and* the logo colour is dfferent than the WGN in the movies pack which suggests one is WGN Chicago and WGN America (two different feeds aside from news).
For the free HD channels you only get them if you have already subscribed to the equivelant standard def channel. So most likely you would not be able to get that. I have heard that there is a way to order the american superstations (CW, WGN, KTLA ect) seperately from the movie channels, but i am un sure of the cost.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
Anyone know if I can apply this to a current account. I'm really pleased with Shaw service. Can't beat the price, especially compared to Bell or Cogeco.

I would even consider cancelling my current subscription and resubscribing as a renter. Would like the contact info from OP if possible.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
mocha'n'me wrote: Anyone know if I can apply this to a current account. I'm really pleased with Shaw service. Can't beat the price, especially compared to Bell or Cogeco.

I would even consider cancelling my current subscription and resubscribing as a renter. Would like the contact info from OP if possible.
I dont believe he would be able to do anything for you. If you in Ontario, i have read that ppl have sent an email through the contact us link on Shawdirects website asking to be switched to that package. They have had more success with that compared to phoning. Be polite the first time you ask and then if it doesnt work the first time send a response saying you will cancel if they dont change it the first time. Usually works with a few trys
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
btw Funky thanks for the apt fyi. When ala cart comes around next year, if Shaw Direct offers it, I'll def go through the rep instead of customer service to see what deals he can offer.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
NG wrote: btw Funky thanks for the apt fyi. When ala cart comes around next year, if Shaw Direct offers it, I'll def go through the rep instead of customer service to see what deals he can offer.
not a problem!

I will update this forum with my installation experience tomorrow and let everyone know how it went.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
This is so shady. How do you even sign up?
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
ItemFinder wrote: This is so shady. How do you even sign up?
I have the contact information for the sales representative that was able to sign me up. I was thinking it was shady at first as well. But i have seen the charge for the receivers go onto my visa with Shaw as the payee and Shaw just phoned me today to confirm installation for tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1426 posts
139 upvotes
Nothing is for FREE . . .

There is a Discount on either the REG or the HD recievers, you still pay for them.

If you stay with Shaw for a year you get to keep the receivers..

BUT if you cancel before 1 years time you must either pay the full price for the receivers or send them back to Shaw.

ITs a reasonable cost starter pack, but therès nothing here for FREE.

We have had this Shaw Packsge for 9 mo 2-reg receivers & 2- HD receivers
I find it lacking in HD Ch.
Dec 19, 2007
171 posts
19 upvotes
far away
just want to say thank-you to FunkyC

and hope this thread lasts longer than MJB and Darrington Darque's :lol:
Banned
Aug 28, 2005
4338 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton
Just ordered, thanks to Funkyc.

This is the package I got:

$38.98 + $2.99 + $4.99 = $46.86/mo

Total channels:

86 Non-HD Channels
37 HD Channels

I bought their HD receiver, regular $200, I got it for $40.

In comparison to Cogeco HD TV offer:

96 Non-HD Channels
24 HD Channels

$63/mo.

So by going with shaw you save $16/mo and get more HD channels, but less Non-HD channels.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
FlintBlade wrote: Just ordered, thanks to Funkyc.

This is the package I got:

$38.98 + $2.99 + $4.99 = $46.86/mo

Total channels:

86 Non-HD Channels
37 HD Channels

I bought their HD receiver, regular $200, I got it for $40.

In comparison to Cogeco HD TV offer:

96 Non-HD Channels
24 HD Channels

$63/mo.

So by going with shaw you save $16/mo and get more HD channels, but less Non-HD channels.
Just to note the above price for $40 takes into account the instant credit that is applied to your account that i talked in the first post. The receiver is 99 before an instant credit of 75$ for the first receiver and 25$ for each receiver after that.
Banned
Aug 28, 2005
4338 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton
FunkyC wrote: Just to note the above price for $40 takes into account the instant credit that is applied to your account that i talked in the first post. The receiver is 99 before an instant credit of 75$ for the first receiver and 25$ for each receiver after that.
Damn, I wasnt offered $25 for the next receiver. It was $100 for the next HD and $20 for SD
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
FlintBlade wrote: Damn, I wasnt offered $25 for the next receiver. It was $100 for the next HD and $20 for SD
the 20$ for the SD takes into account the extra 25$ as they are on for 49.99 before the discounts. he just explained it to u in an easier way.. just the net cost after all is said and done.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
Thoughts on Rogers matching this? :)
Jul 26, 2007
438 posts
693 upvotes
paulo500 wrote: I got this flyer in the mail too. Im considering it for sure. Might use its price plan and call Robbers to see if they will match.
What i want is a PVR...Does Shaw provide this?
Yes. They have PVR's but they are significantly more expensive. If you are willing to pay. Shaw Direct is great, i've had it for a year and the quality and service is great. The only time I have had a problem is a couple times in the winter when there were heavy snow storms... but that is expected with any satellite service.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
juched wrote: Thoughts on Rogers matching this? :)
highly doubt youd even get close. I know people in the previous forums have talked about rogers trying to match it but had no luck
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
apex1903 wrote: Yes. They have PVR's but they are significantly more expensive. If you are willing to pay. Shaw Direct is great, i've had it for a year and the quality and service is great. The only time I have had a problem is a couple times in the winter when there were heavy snow storms... but that is expected with any satellite service.
Ya the PVR's are a little expensive but they are currently on special for 249 less the 75 instant credit so you can get one for 175. I hear they dont work that great though, people have had issues with them, but 175 for a PVR is pretty good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)