Shaw

Shaw Direct Ontario Package Deal and receivers

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2023 1:46 am
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
I just had my service installed yesterday and so far so good. The installation went smooth ran all the satellite wires to the basement and just hooked them up to my wires that run across the house. Took like 1.5 hrs. The guy was good and placed the dish where i wanted it to be.

The programming is pretty sweet, i get all the stations i ever watch. Like i said the basic difference between this package and Shaws digital favourites is that you dont get manitoba time shift. You get toronto stations and vancouver, other than that it seems to be the same.

The HD boxes are a little outdated, no HDMI which i knew, but it comes with a cable to go DVI to HDMI so not a big issue. The receivers however are pretty wide when you compare it to anything from bell or rogers that are out right now, other than that they look good.

Also i have updated the original post with more information and an updated channel listing. If anyone has any questions just let me know.
May 31, 2008
463 posts
73 upvotes
FunkyC wrote: Ya, but you can get a dvi to HDMI so you are able to still input it into your TV. You just need run audio seperately to the TV. They are supposed to be coming out with new receivers some time in the near future (3-4 months)
You do need to plug dvi directly into TV, NOT into AV receiver. The programmers have never managed to get HDCP working correctly.

(This is a minor annoyance - the TV needs 15 seconds boot up before the Harmony remote can send the switch source command.) Overall, I like ShawDirect.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
I feed my 530 PVR through a DVI>HDMI patch cord into a 4 position HDMI switchbox and then into my projector. It seems to get along better than the Samsung Bluray, Toshiba HD-DVD or XBox 360 ..... no problems getting the projector to fire up immediately or switch back and forth between the computer and the Shaw PVR during commercials.
Oct 14, 2005
530 posts
53 upvotes
I've been a customer on the Ontario package for about 3 years now. I asked if I could get the HD sports added for $2.99 and was quoted $4.99. Is this normal now?
[removed for signature violation]
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
husdaman wrote: I've been a customer on the Ontario package for about 3 years now. I asked if I could get the HD sports added for $2.99 and was quoted $4.99. Is this normal now?
ya they have increased the price for HD sports because it now offers more channels
Sep 15, 2008
31 posts
8 upvotes
Belleville, ON
I have nothing but praise for Shaw Direct. I've been a customer for five years and you can always reach a rep. live. If you don't want to wait in the queue, the first available rep. will call you. You can have up to five receivers on your account; they don't care if the other receivers are in another room or another city. I had it installed @ my cottage, then canceled cable in the city as I could get it free @ home for only a $4.95 multiple receiver fee.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
Does each receiver come with a satellite dish? Or you have multi-receivers and 1 satellite dish? Anyone know if there's a contract too? Is there any stores in Toronto to pick up the flyer ads for the extra value package programming list? Also does Shaw offer chinese channels?
Dec 22, 2006
132 posts
36 upvotes
humane wrote: You can have up to five receivers on your account; they don't care if the other receivers are in another room or another city.
Actually you can have up to six on one account, I currently have this. Also, I wouldn't tell them you have receivers outside of one home. Maybe some reps don't care but most will. That's a BIG NO NO. But it CAN be done though, just don't tell them. ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15688 posts
11077 upvotes
My parents are 15 year Starchoice/Shaw Direct customers, and want a PVR. Can they get the refurb for $250? And if so, how?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
20 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: My parents are 15 year Starchoice/Shaw Direct customers, and want a PVR. Can they get the refurb for $250? And if so, how?

Thanks.
Just a fyi they will be coming out with new hardware shortly to replace the 505/530. As for getting it cheaper there are two ways, use the "ask Jim" tab on starchoice's web site or call SC and talk to a rep.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
rain wrote: Does each receiver come with a satellite dish? Or you have multi-receivers and 1 satellite dish? Anyone know if there's a contract too? Is there any stores in Toronto to pick up the flyer ads for the extra value package programming list? Also does Shaw offer chinese channels?
They only install one dish. They bring it with them and however many receivers you bought. There is no real contract, however if you leave within a years time you might have to return the receivers i am unsure though, how that works because you technically bought them.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
webbyx wrote: Actually you can have up to six on one account, I currently have this. Also, I wouldn't tell them you have receivers outside of one home. Maybe some reps don't care but most will. That's a BIG NO NO. But it CAN be done though, just don't tell them. ;)
Thats strange, i can see if your putting it on another house then yes you cant do that, but on Shaws website they even say they will come install another dish at a cottage for free as long as its not extremely remote.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I've been with Shaw for the last year on the Silver Package, I sent them an email through their contact information and was able to get switched over to this package. They did they programming change within minutes and I'm quite pleased.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
Does anyone have the channel numbers for the channel listing? The TV Guide option is hard to go through for the full listing. The listing on their website under "Channel Lineups (Classic and Advanced)" doesn't seem to have the correct numbers listed for my area.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
webbyx wrote: Actually you can have up to six on one account, I currently have this. Also, I wouldn't tell them you have receivers outside of one home. Maybe some reps don't care but most will. That's a BIG NO NO. But it CAN be done though, just don't tell them. ;)
You may be referring to account sharring. IE two people/families using the same account rather than one person/family using the same account at a different address.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
Does this new deal have time shifting, or for that matter, was the deal posted before Christmas supposed to have time shifting? My folks got it during the last thread, and I was home recently and it's like every other channel isn't available. You have to go through a bunch to find one that works, that's if you can even find one.

Speaking of, is there an easier way to make it so the guide doesn't show all those channels that you don't get, aside from having to program them out? I programmed them out before, but either a power outage or the receiver having to be unplugged reset them all, and it's a huge pain to keep making that list.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
voodoo401 wrote: Just a fyi they will be coming out with new hardware shortly to replace the 505/530. As for getting it cheaper there are two ways, use the "ask Jim" tab on starchoice's web site or call SC and talk to a rep.
Unfortunately "shortly" in Shaw Direct terms can mean anything from "later this year" through to "never" when we are talking about hardware. I have SD and the service is great but the hardware is now pretty ancient - and for anyone thinking of running DVI to HDMI out of the current HD receiver, don't count on it - it's temperamental to say the least based on my experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2820 posts
985 upvotes
GTA
poster referring to the channelisting on the website, if your channels start at 2, you have the advanced channels, if your channels start at 299 you have the classics. You can call in to change which one you prefer. The advanced listing was created mainly for customers who was with cable before where the channels started at 2. New customers are setup on the new advanced list automatically. I have all the answers. Pm me if you have any questions.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
dgs wrote: Unfortunately "shortly" in Shaw Direct terms can mean anything from "later this year" through to "never" when we are talking about hardware. I have SD and the service is great but the hardware is now pretty ancient - and for anyone thinking of running DVI to HDMI out of the current HD receiver, don't count on it - it's temperamental to say the least based on my experience.
im running DVI to HDMI out on all three of my receivers and havent had any issues yet. obviously have to run audio seperately, but thats not a big deal
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
rain wrote: Does anyone have the channel numbers for the channel listing? The TV Guide option is hard to go through for the full listing. The listing on their website under "Channel Lineups (Classic and Advanced)" doesn't seem to have the correct numbers listed for my area.
This is the channel listing that was posted on another forum. I believe it is the older line up not the current advanced lineup

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/starchoi ... gs-824439/