Computers & Electronics

Shaw FreeRange TV App on Android TV Box?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 1:12 am
Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2013
112 posts
40 upvotes
If you're running Android 7 Nougat on your Nexus Player - I believe that is the problem. I just downgraded to 6.01 Stock and the older Shaw app works.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1431 posts
122 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is the older version still working
Dec 6, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby
EdT586 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 12:56 pm
blazed16 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 11:40 pm
Works on one of my boxes but the other mxq pro it does not and error says this can only be used on a mobile device or something like that.
Devices send out an ID to the server and if it is not on the their list it will not work. Most will exclude STBs that can be played on a HDTV. You can trick their server by modifying the firmware with another device like a tablet or smartphone model that works on their server.
is this something you edit through the android's "Build.prop" file in the system directory? If so, which lines are required to change?

I'm trying to get the app working myself. Of course its giving me the error that playback can only be accomplished on mobile devices. Is it a check that they do serverside, or is it something built into the application (solved by reverting back to a previous .apk)?
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5874 posts
1001 upvotes
remlapw wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 12:29 pm
EdT586 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 12:56 pm
blazed16 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 11:40 pm
Works on one of my boxes but the other mxq pro it does not and error says this can only be used on a mobile device or something like that.
Devices send out an ID to the server and if it is not on the their list it will not work. Most will exclude STBs that can be played on a HDTV. You can trick their server by modifying the firmware with another device like a tablet or smartphone model that works on their server.
is this something you edit through the android's "Build.prop" file in the system directory? If so, which lines are required to change?

I'm trying to get the app working myself. Of course its giving me the error that playback can only be accomplished on mobile devices. Is it a check that they do serverside, or is it something built into the application (solved by reverting back to a previous .apk)?
Yes it is done through the Build.prop file. It is done through their server side with an approved list of devices.
The only thing you can do is to trick their server as one of the approved devices.
Feb 27, 2011
725 posts
381 upvotes
Regina
jun3280 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 12:00 am
If you're running Android 7 Nougat on your Nexus Player - I believe that is the problem. I just downgraded to 6.01 Stock and the older Shaw app works.
Thanks for this. My son had his old NP still on 6.0 and Shaw works on it using 1.3.0.012.
See my Buy Sell Trade ad for Replacement Panasonic Shaver Blades and Foils.

--------------------------------------------------
"PC LOAD LETTER!!. What the f^@# does that mean?"
Oct 27, 2013
112 posts
40 upvotes
RoughriderFan wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 1:48 pm
jun3280 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 12:00 am
Thanks for this. My son had his old NP still on 6.0 and Shaw works on it using 1.3.0.012.
Glad I could help. That said - if you're comfortable with custom ROMs, I highly recommend this one :
http://www.videomap.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1609

This basically turns your Nexus Player into tablet mode, but it has great compatibility with 99% of the apps. However, you'll need to use a wireless mouse to navigate or use droidmote.
Dec 14, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
Coquitlam, British C…
any idea how to get it to work on amazon fire tv ?
Feb 27, 2017
1 posts
Use Miracast and use the wi-fi on the tv for it. If you have no wi-fi on the tv, use the AV jacks on the since Shaw has them DRMed with digital inputs such as HDMI and DVI.
Mar 25, 2006
322 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
any updates on getting it to work on shield Tv with Android 7. The older version listed here wont even open the app.
Feb 12, 2013
30 posts
20 upvotes
Kitchener
If it helps anyone, you can cast from a chrome tab to get freerange to your TV. Not as convenient as an app, but close.
Oct 29, 2014
604 posts
251 upvotes
Brampton, ON
There's now a modified version of the Shaw FreeRange TV app (v4.1.0.015) thanks to aiemassfiria at the XDA Developers forum.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... stcount=65

His release removes the HDMI checking code but he doesn't have a Shaw account to test with (and neither do I) so maybe we can get some current results from users here who do have access to this service.
May 31, 2004
181 posts
12 upvotes
British Columbia
I can confirmed this mod works for Nvidia Shield TV 2015. Thanks Gabby.
Oct 29, 2014
604 posts
251 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Seal wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 1:38 am
I can confirmed this mod works for Nvidia Shield TV 2015. Thanks Gabby.
Good stuff. Is your NVIDIA Shield TV running the stock ROM with Android 7.x Nougat?
Jul 23, 2014
90 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
GabbyWC wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:44 pm
There's now a modified version of the Shaw FreeRange TV app (v4.1.0.015) thanks to aiemassfiria at the XDA Developers forum.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... stcount=65

His release removes the HDMI checking code but he doesn't have a Shaw account to test with (and neither do I) so maybe we can get some current results from users here who do have access to this service.
On my Mi box this crashes the moment i try to launch it. Any suggestions?