Computers & Electronics

Shaw FreeRange TV App on Android TV Box?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 1:12 am
Tags:
None
Jul 3, 2017
361 posts
199 upvotes
What's the point? It's only a few selected Canadian channels, and it only works if you already have a Shaw cable TV subscription.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6817 posts
997 upvotes
Is more for mobile devices, so you can still watch when you are outside or in the toilet, etc...

Or in a room you want to watch tv but doesn't have a cable outlet.
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:06 pm
What's the point? It's only a few selected Canadian channels, and it only works if you already have a Shaw cable TV subscription.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 3, 2017
361 posts
199 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 3:05 am
Is more for mobile device
But it won't run unless you're on a Shaw WiFi connection, right? Or maybe it allows mobile networks, if anyone wants to burn that much data to watch TV on their cell phone - I've never bothered to try that.
Dec 2, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
Newfoundland
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 9:36 am
But it won't run unless you're on a Shaw WiFi connection, right? Or maybe it allows mobile networks, if anyone wants to burn that much data to watch TV on their cell phone - I've never bothered to try that.
Doesn't have to be a mobile network or a Shaw WiFi connection, at least in what I have experienced. Installed this as a test on an Android set-top box last evening for my sister for her upstairs TV so her husband didn't have to run cables. Seemed to work okay but not sure how stable. They are Shaw Direct customers with satellite, Internet is with Bell.
Strong-willed & Opinionated Woman. Early adopter of technology & first generation geek.
Jul 3, 2017
361 posts
199 upvotes
brookgirl wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:07 am
Doesn't have to be a mobile network or a Shaw WiFi connection, at least in what I have experienced. Installed this as a test on an Android set-top box last evening for my sister for her upstairs TV so her husband didn't have to run cables. Seemed to work okay but not sure how stable. They are Shaw Direct customers with satellite, Internet is with Bell.
I had problems with a Telus connection, but maybe it's only some channels that are blocked if you aren't on a Shaw connection.
Dec 2, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
Newfoundland
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:10 am
I had problems with a Telus connection, but maybe it's only some channels that are blocked if you aren't on a Shaw connection.
That's quite possible. Didn't do extensive testing. i'm sure I will hear if things aren't working. My sister is the homemaker, I'm the geek. lol.
Strong-willed & Opinionated Woman. Early adopter of technology & first generation geek.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10372 posts
662 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
They don't allow internet streaming for all channels, probably to prevent sharing your account with friends. It seems the IP location matters, too, as it wouldn't work in Germany (said "out of range" or something like that).