Computers & Electronics

Shaw High Speed Lite Internet Bandwidth and Restrictions?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2004 1:52 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver

Shaw High Speed Lite Internet Bandwidth and Restrictions?

For the Shaw Internet reps and Internet techies out there...

NE of you know what the UL/DL limitations are for Shaw Lite?
Also, how much bandwidth do we have b4 being caught by Shaw?

Just got shut down today... let's just say the landlady wasn't happy. @@
I used to be on regular high speed. When Shaw reps cut me in the past, they say that ul/dl should be kept below 30GB/month... but then another guy on RFD here said that as long as I keep below 50 and don't ul too much, I should be safe. Kept w/ that and I've always been safe.... Hopefully there's something similar w/ Lite...
17 replies
Aug 26, 2003
514 posts
54 upvotes
My understanding (and I could be complete wrong here) is that Shaw usually takes the top 5 downloaders in each region/area (however they divide it up) and send them the usual "Cut it out!" e-mail messages.

I got one over a year ago when I did over 65GB in one month (just after I discovered the joy of bittorrent!)

Any Shaw people here that can confirm this?
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
if that's a theory,then you are completely wrong

anyways, there's not that much speed with high speed lite for you to go over the limit anyways
just get i-xtreme or ADSL if you are worry
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
AnimeEd wrote:if that's a theory,then you are completely wrong

anyways, there's not that much speed with high speed lite for you to go over the limit anyways
just get i-xtreme or ADSL if you are worry

I'm renting... Internet is included..... so switching is not really worth it...
as for not much speed to go over the limit... lol.. I already did..... I did over 70GB last month alone... that's why I got dc'ed....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6348 posts
1610 upvotes
why dont you call shaw or watever and ask them. or email the.

I use adsl so it's all good. Though i admit, it's not as fast as cable
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Tsuioku wrote:I'm renting... Internet is included..... so switching is not really worth it...
as for not much speed to go over the limit... lol.. I already did..... I did over 70GB last month alone... that's why I got dc'ed....
I'm saying there's not much speed with Shaw lite
it only gives 128 kbps down and 64 kbps up
the max you're ever go with Shaw lite is 59.3GB a month assuming you get perfect speed (you won't) and you download 24/7
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
AnimeEd wrote:I'm saying there's not much speed with Shaw lite
it only gives 128 kbps down and 64 kbps up
the max you're ever go with Shaw lite is 59.3GB a month assuming you get perfect speed (you won't) and you download 24/7
Where did you get 59.3GB from?
[128k/s * 60s/min * 60 min/hr * 24hr/day = >10GB/day]

I understand your gist... Should this be Rogers... This is true... However, Shaw functions a bit differently.

The UL cap is overall (sum of all concurrent ULs)... while the DL cap is per connection (ignoring degradation from many connections due to saturation and local area bandwidth but I rarely hit that point except when I use BT)...

The UL cap used to be per connection before (it may still be...) but I got capped when my bandwidth exceeded 100GB/month (Regular Hi-Speed 3 years ago). I'm expecting another sort of cap on my connection though... guess I'll find out soon enough.
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Tsuioku wrote:Where did you get 59.3GB from?
[128k/s * 60s/min * 60 min/hr * 24hr/day = >10GB/day]

I understand your gist... Should this be Rogers... This is true... However, Shaw functions a bit differently.

The UL cap is overall (sum of all concurrent ULs)... while the DL cap is per connection (ignoring degradation from many connections due to saturation and local area bandwidth but I rarely hit that point except when I use BT)...

The UL cap used to be per connection before (it may still be...) but I got capped when my bandwidth exceeded 100GB/month (Regular Hi-Speed 3 years ago). I'm expecting another sort of cap on my connection though... guess I'll find out soon enough.
um... (insert bits and bytes discussion here)
anyways,
128kbit/s = 16k/s
64kbit/s = 8k/s
since Shaw counts up and down traffic as the same, you're counting 24k/s
that in a month is 59GB
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
icic..

Either my landlady is lying or Shaw decided to be generous...
Shaw Lite goes more at 128 kBytes/64kBytes.....

I've managed to DL at speeds exceeding 128... more in the 50s for UL though
Banned
Apr 17, 2002
501 posts
I normally use up about 20-40 GB a month with the normal shaw high speed internet, haven't gotten any emails lately..

although about 3 years ago, I did get one when I bumped up to about 25GB from an average of 5-10GB.

I think that they have upped their higher end limit warning letters.

Does anyone know how the telus newsgroups compare to Shaw's?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3426 posts
80 upvotes
I was going to ask the same thing about Telus newsgroups as I just got the dreaded e-mail from Shaw. The one saying "you are using 30-50 times the average bandwidth...blah,blah,blah" I use newsgroups for about 95% of my downloading and I find that Shaw here in Alberta has a high retention (usually 3 to 4 days) and they don't sensor any groups. I am seriously considering going over to Telus ADSL and telling Shaw to shove it. For now I think I'll just make up some excuse like I must have a trojan or something and maybe try to cut things back a bit. I think I will put up a thread about Telus Newsgroups in Alberta and see what people have to say.
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
Banned
Apr 17, 2002
501 posts
Mike71 wrote:I was going to ask the same thing about Telus newsgroups as I just got the dreaded e-mail from Shaw. The one saying "you are using 30-50 times the average bandwidth...blah,blah,blah" I use newsgroups for about 95% of my downloading and I find that Shaw here in Alberta has a high retention (usually 3 to 4 days) and they don't sensor any groups. I am seriously considering going over to Telus ADSL and telling Shaw to shove it. For now I think I'll just make up some excuse like I must have a trojan or something and maybe try to cut things back a bit. I think I will put up a thread about Telus Newsgroups in Alberta and see what people have to say.
What GB level did you reach to get the email from shaw?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3426 posts
80 upvotes
I think I got a warning e-mail last November and then for this October. Not sure what the cut-off is for a warning or maybe it varies depending where you are etc. Also downloading from the newsgroups is internal traffic as far I can figure so you think they wouldn't have too much of a problem with that. Also my upload totals are very low so I'm kinda surprised I got a warning. Last November I downloaded 61 gigs and uploaded 2, and this October I downloaded 49 gigs and uploaded 1.2 gigs. The totals in between where I did not get a warning were anywhere from 5 gigs download to 34 gigs download, and 300 megs upload to 1.8 gigs upload. Download average for no warning months was about 23.3 gigs and upload average was about 800 megs. Hope this info helps :)
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
Banned
Apr 17, 2002
501 posts
Mike71 wrote: Last November I downloaded 61 gigs and uploaded 2, and this October I downloaded 49 gigs and uploaded 1.2 gigs. The totals in between where I did not get a warning were anywhere from 5 gigs download to 34 gigs download, and 300 megs upload to 1.8 gigs upload. Hope this info helps :)
My highest monthly number this year is 45GB just last month, and no letter so far, but I usually average about 10-20GB/month.

I wish they could offer some kind of terminal room service or something at their head office in Calgary where customers could just access a news reader and bring an external usb hard drive to hook up :D
Apr 30, 2004
41 posts
here in BC, they gave me a limit for the next 2 months. im only allowed 20Gb's in total for 1 month. thats dl only i have no upload limit. in the past 12 months. shaw said i have used 645Gb's Dl only. and i dropped my jaw. then i went to my bros computer. and looked at the packets sent/recieved on his NIC and it said
"625,255,264,264,754,375,145" so now his PC goes through mine. he had 45 DIFFERENT TORRENTS going.
|Home| AMD 2500+ Unlocked Oc'ed to 3400+| Soltek FRNL-2| 2x512mb PC400 Samsung Ram (Dual Channel) |1x100Gb WD| 1x80Gb WD| 1x40Gb Maxtor| 1x20Gb Maxtor| XFX 6600 GT 128MB DDR3| 16x Samsung DVD Burner (DL +/-)
|Mobile| Dell 6400 (E1505) | 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo | 2GB Ram | 120 GB 5400rpm HD | Nvidia 7300 Go | 15.4 WSXGA+ with Trulife Screen | 3 Hours Per Battery (2 Batts)
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Seeker_beta wrote:here in BC, they gave me a limit for the next 2 months. im only allowed 20Gb's in total for 1 month. thats dl only i have no upload limit. in the past 12 months. shaw said i have used 645Gb's Dl only. and i dropped my jaw. then i went to my bros computer. and looked at the packets sent/recieved on his NIC and it said
"625,255,264,264,754,375,145" so now his PC goes through mine. he had 45 DIFFERENT TORRENTS going.
wow, just wow

anyways, newsgroup traffic is still counted
Sep 9, 2003
509 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
Seeker_beta wrote:here in BC, they gave me a limit for the next 2 months. im only allowed 20Gb's in total for 1 month. thats dl only i have no upload limit. in the past 12 months. shaw said i have used 645Gb's Dl only. and i dropped my jaw. then i went to my bros computer. and looked at the packets sent/recieved on his NIC and it said

I only got one word for you... "DIAM"...
Also, they didn't state an UL limit? They normally give you a total limit rather than a DL only limit. From my previous experience, they value UL more than DL and w/ your bro and his torrents, I expect your UL to also be extremely high.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Your bro is a stud. Seriously, that's insane...I've never gone higher than ~30.

Never got warned for that, only got warned when my DL was at the absolute worst that I'd have in years. Yup.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)