Shaw price increase AGAIN!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2011 10:49 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2007
424 posts
25 upvotes

Shaw price increase AGAIN!

Saw a notice on this month's bill that my bill is increasing $5 effective Nov 2011. They already increased it back in April. From 2005 til now my bill has gone from $65 to $108 for THE SAME Service!

Boy do I miss Rogers.
14 replies
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
205 upvotes
Rageness wrote:
Sep 20th, 2011 9:45 pm
Saw a notice on this month's bill that my bill is increasing $5 effective Nov 2011. They already increased it back in April. From 2005 til now my bill has gone from $65 to $108 for THE SAME Service!

Boy do I miss Rogers.

call retentions????
Apr 29, 2006
492 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Good opportunity to cancel any contracts if you are locked into anything.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1172 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
moxy wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2011 2:41 pm
Good opportunity to cancel any contracts if you are locked into anything.

Shaw doesn't have contracts.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1761 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
There was an offer on my bill for $29.95 for 50mbit service for 6 months. I called them up and after a little bit of resistance, I managed to get this deal, reducing my bill from $59 (soon to be $62) down to $30. Even if I keep the 50mbit service for 1 year (it goes up to $74.90, maybe $76.90 with the price increase?) the average cost winds up being $52.45/month for the year. :twisted:

·You will most likely be told you are not elligible, to which the reply should be "Why is it on my bill then?".
·I was then told "It's only for certain customers that have tv and no internet", to which I replied "I *only* have internet, so it seems to me that Shaw really wants me to have 50mbit service for 6 months @ $29.99".
·Then of course there was mention of "other terms & conditions", to which the offer (at the bottom says) 'Visit Shaw.ca for more details'. So I went to the appropriate page and at the bottom, there is a grey-coloured 'Terms & Conditions' click-open section, which mentioned *nothing* about eligibility. The rep and I read through it together to confirm this.

A few minutes on hold and TADA! got the deal :lol:

GYR8
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3952 posts
17 upvotes
Rageness wrote:

Boy do I miss Rogers.

Why not give TELUS a try? Lack of channel selection?
Feb 11, 2010
198 posts
39 upvotes
My retention deal is up in a month so I'll have to start researching what the competition (Telus) is offering right now.
Back when I was living at home we got shafted quite regularly by Telus for both their phone and internet, and to this day I harbor a grudge against them but the way the pricing is going for Shaw I may have to actually consider them.

I got cable for a year just so I could get a bundle deal, but considering how much I actually watched it I'll probably cut it...maybe I should look into TekSavvy instead.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1482 posts
152 upvotes
Hey folks, are there any specials, deals or promos available with Shaw in Alberta (Calgary) currently? After many years of willingly paying stupidly high prices for TV, internet and phone I've decided that I need to get Shaw to either provide a much better deal or I'll have to look into getting Telus to provide my TV, internet and phone needs.

Before I get around to talking with Shaw I'd like to know what I should expect right now. Also would it be better to call the customer service number and wait on hold to talk with someone or should I just walk over to the Shaw office (not even two blocks from my office)?

My current monthly bill is about $130 which includes digital TV (no HD), probably a middle tier internet package and basic home phone. I've decided that I have paid way too much for way too long.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4900 posts
825 upvotes
BC
calgaryhhr wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2011 5:11 pm
Also would it be better to call the customer service number and wait on hold to talk with someone or should I just walk over to the Shaw office (not even two blocks from my office)?

My current monthly bill is about $130 which includes digital TV (no HD), probably a middle tier internet package and basic home phone. I've decided that I have paid way too much for way too long.

They do offer a call back option with an estimated time window when they will call you. If you value your time - choose that.

If the Calgary office is anything like the Victoria one, I'd stay away unless you have to (like returning equipment when you cancel).
Too many people lining up just to discuss their bill, pay it, or do anything else that they don't need to do in person.

You have been paying too much for too long, and that is part of the reason that Jim Shaw walked away with a $16,000 pension - that's per day. See:

http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... stics.html
Jan 18, 2009
298 posts
28 upvotes
Duncan
Rageness wrote:

Boy do I miss Rogers.

I also noticed this too... But I'm not sure what service they are increasing by $5... Were you able to tell which service it was?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1482 posts
152 upvotes
I finally got around to talking with Shaw to see what they could offer me in order to reduce my bill. I was looking on their website and I priced out an HD with Digital Basic and HD Plus tv package (I previously only had digital TV so HD is an upgrade for me) along with Broadband 50 and Home Phone Basic. The package came to $104.85 per month but that includes 6 months of "special pricing" on the BB50 and Home Phone which Shaw says is only for new customers even though there is no mention of that on their website anywhere. This would have saved me $15 a month while having HD instead of digital although the savings would only be for 6 months while the internet and phone were discounted.

The Shaw rep said they couldn't offer me this because I wasn't a new customer. They offered to give me HD tv but my rate would stay the same. I've decide to cancel my account and set up a new account in my girlfriends name to get the 6 month pricing after which point we'll probably cancel her account and open one up in my name again to take advantage of whatever offer is available. I don't want to play this stupid account juggling game but if that is what is required in order to get decent pricing that is what I will do.

I asked the Shaw rep what was the best way to cancel and she said they require 10 days notice. I asked why that was and she replied it was as a consideration to them because they don't require contracts like other companies who make it much more difficult to cancel services. I asked if it was written anywhere and she said it was in the "Terms of Use." I looked the Terms of Use and it doesn't say anything about 10 day notice:
Customer-Initiated Termination
You may terminate the Services for any reason at any time by notifying Shaw of your desire to terminate. Such termination shall take effect upon the expiration of the then current billing cycle. Since you would have paid for the Services you are terminating in advance up to the next billing cycle date, no credit or refund will be payable in respect of such terminated Services and you will remain responsible to pay any charges due and payable as of the date of termination.
You agree that if the Services are terminated for any reason you will:
pay Shaw in full any amounts due and outstanding for your use of the Services and return the Rental Equipment to Shaw; and
permit Shaw to access the Service Location at a mutually agreed upon time to remove the Rental Equipment and any other equipment or materials provided by Shaw if you fail to return same to Shaw as required under these Terms of Service.
Why is it that Shaw and their reps are always making up bogus excuses and lies and why don't they show their current/long term customers any respects and consideration?
Mar 21, 2008
288 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
It's November 1, 2011 and the new prices are up on shaw.ca

HD with Digital Basic/Digital Basic +$2 from $38.95 to $40.95
HD Basic/Digital TV +$2 from $64.95 to $66.95
High Definition TV +$2 from $80.95 to $82.95

Lite Internet (1Mbps down/.256Mpbs up) +$2 from $27 to $29
High-Speed Internet (7.5Mbps down/.512Mbps up) +$3 from $39 to $42
Extreme Internet (25Mbps down/2.5Mbps up) +$3 from $49 to $52

Interesting, the Broadband internet packages as well as Personal TV are not going up at all. I think that Shaw is trying to push people onto the personalizer, but I wonder why? What benefit does it give Shaw?
Dec 14, 2009
15 posts
Called to complain about the Extreme prices going up again. Lady was very friendly. Instead of haggling, I asked about broadband. She gave me 3 months of broadband 50 @ $19.95 followed by regular price. I currently have extreme and basic phone and I am paying $72.95. After the 3 months, it will be $79.95. Is paying $7 more for broadband worth it? Not sure, but factoring in the $120 savings, it approximately works out to the same price as my old plan for a year. Could I have done better if I would have been more persistent?
Jun 10, 2008
60 posts
5 upvotes
Wow, must be nice to live in Calgary. My latest Shaw bill for High Speed was $60.42 including tax here in Southern BC. And no, that's not Extreme, just your basic internet without any other service.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2453 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
CADman wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 9:23 pm
Wow, must be nice to live in Calgary. My latest Shaw bill for High Speed was $60.42 including tax here in Southern BC. And no, that's not Extreme, just your basic internet without any other service.

you want better pricing? you gotta haggle sir
give em a call and see what you can get
Free: 1. ShawDirect receivers
Looking for: 1. Cheapo 3/4g tablet
For Sale: 1. Thomson DCM476 Cable Modem
× < >