Computers & Electronics

Shaw second year negotiation techniques.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 12:55 am
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
2254 posts
660 upvotes
Richmond, BC

Shaw second year negotiation techniques.

So last year my GF and I got a deal from shaw for our condo. It was $69.99 for internet 150 + TV. Apparently this year it jumps it $145 yikes! Anyone have any success negotiating a better deal on the second year and beyond? I'f not I'll just cancel and go with telus. From a quick google search, the early cancellation is only $15/ month. $15 * 12 is only $180. I can go with telus and get something else for cheaper even with the $180 fee.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
You would have known about the second year costs before you jumped onto the deal...why did you go into a contract knowing the price will go up to more than you want to pay the second year. Shaw wasn't giving their services for cheap for a reason, it was to get people to sing up so they can pay the full cost the following year.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rather than relying on Google, why not just try calling Shaw and asking what your options are? $145/m for 150 and tv sounds like regular price so im wondering if you are even in a contract. You dont have to do much dancing with shaw and telus home, unlike cell phone companies. Just ask them what your current situation and what your options are, given the upcoming giant price increase.

Really though, if you are certain you are under contract then I gotta side with the poster before me: you were aware of the pricing you were agreeing to. It's a contract. Contracts shouldnt be signed lightly. This is adulting.
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
2254 posts
660 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Well when we signed the contract it said it would increase to $100 after one year which isnt too bad. that should still only be $112 with taxes. I did call shaw and they gave me the "prices subject to change after first year" spiel.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
syn3rgetic wrote: Well when we signed the contract it said it would increase to $100 after one year which isnt too bad. that should still only be $112 with taxes. I did call shaw and they gave me the "prices subject to change after first year" spiel.
While you were on the phone with Shaw did you ask them for a discount?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Read the 2 year agreement. It'll show on there when the discounts expire. They can't just take off the discounts unless the agreement you signed only states discounts for one year.

I find the only way to negotiate a great deal is to sign up for services elsewhere. Go see what Telus is offering, and they may even pay off your existing contract. Only then will Shaw give you a winback offer. Then you can tell Telus about the winback offer and see if they will beat it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
eblend wrote: You would have known about the second year costs before you jumped onto the deal...why did you go into a contract knowing the price will go up to more than you want to pay the second year. Shaw wasn't giving their services for cheap for a reason, it was to get people to sing up so they can pay the full cost the following year.
I’m not sure what your point is? Shaw has a loyalty department to work with customers to avoid having the contract bought out for $15/mo.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
syn3rgetic wrote: Well when we signed the contract it said it would increase to $100 after one year which isnt too bad. that should still only be $112 with taxes. I did call shaw and they gave me the "prices subject to change after first year" spiel.
Really? That aint cool and a bit surprising. Sorry OP. Talk to loyalty for sure
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
I believe it's $20 per remaining month to cancel early if you have an internet and TV contract. The very fact that they have such cancellation penalties tells you that they have a lot of unhappy clients who want to cancel early.

Both Shaw and Telus make liberal use of "contracts" that aren't really contracts as you would understand it. Obviously price would be one of the essential elements of any contractual agreement, and they wouldn't be allowed to change it arbitrarily. But what you have is actually a "service agreement", a sort of one-sided pseudo-contract where you agree to take their service for a specific term, no matter what it costs, and they are free to increase the price without notice whenever they feel like it. Your sole "out" is to pay the cancellation penalty for the remainder of the term. Yes, it's deliberately deceptive, but it's the established way they do business. Their own customer service staff have been caught many times telling potential customers that the contract price was fixed, when in fact it wasn't.

Telus has been known to renegotiate a lower price after increasing it in the second year of a contract, but not Shaw as far as I know.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1998 posts
619 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bomber17 wrote: Read the 2 year agreement. It'll show on there when the discounts expire. They can't just take off the discounts unless the agreement you signed only states discounts for one year.

I find the only way to negotiate a great deal is to sign up for services elsewhere. Go see what Telus is offering, and they may even pay off your existing contract. Only then will Shaw give you a winback offer. Then you can tell Telus about the winback offer and see if they will beat it.
Agree about reading the agreement.
Shaw has a loyalty department and depending on the services OP has I would definitely try contacting that dept. but yeah don't get into a contract and then "yikes price went up"
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1998 posts
619 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Exp315 wrote: I believe it's $20 per remaining month to cancel early if you have an internet and TV contract. The very fact that they have such cancellation penalties tells you that they have a lot of unhappy clients who want to cancel early.

Both Shaw and Telus make liberal use of "contracts" that aren't really contracts as you would understand it. Obviously price would be one of the essential elements of any contractual agreement, and they wouldn't be allowed to change it arbitrarily. But what you have is actually a "service agreement", a sort of one-sided pseudo-contract where you agree to take their service for a specific term, no matter what it costs, and they are free to increase the price without notice whenever they feel like it. Your sole "out" is to pay the cancellation penalty for the remainder of the term. Yes, it's deliberately deceptive, but it's the established way they do business. Their own customer service staff have been caught many times telling potential customers that the contract price was fixed, when in fact it wasn't.

Telus has been known to renegotiate a lower price after increasing it in the second year of a contract, but not Shaw as far as I know.
You think they are out to get your soul? Lol wait till you see the interest rates charged by money marts that are in triple digits. That my friend is selling your soul. By the way customers are responsible for signing these agreements and have the right to cancel within a certain time frame. Ps Telus isn't the only one that is able to help customers out in a contract.

And for the part in bold that's just generalization. Most ppl never remember or read the agreement as long as the first few bills are in order. Without agreements everyone would go from one promo to another (which ironically costs them more since they end up not paying the high bill and it goes to collection potentially damaging their credit. Bottom line be careful what you sign before you sign it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)