Hot Deals

[Shaw] Shaw 150 $60 no contract 12 months

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 4:38 pm
Apr 28, 2011
188 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Did anyone else's Wi-Fi get alot slower ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5997 posts
1697 upvotes
Canada
RiCHC3 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 1:01 pm
As a side, anyone else feel like their upload is throttled on bittorrent with Shaw?
at one time it was 3, now I'm certain it's 6.
so yes they are throttling.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2012
4897 posts
353 upvotes
Canada
raspeed wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:05 pm
at one time it was 3, now I'm certain it's 6.
so yes they are throttling.
No shaw doesn’t throttle. What benefit would that be to them?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5997 posts
1697 upvotes
Canada
AquaticZERO wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:13 pm
Yes, they do.

It's clear if you are a regular torrent user.

I can have 6 torrents going and they will all add up to 6, when one finishes, the rest get faster and the total is 6 still. It's always been this way. It was 3 for a while, and I'd say for at least the last 6 months it has been 6.

It's painfully apparent on my system.

I do not have any restrictions with any other form of downloading or streaming, but torrents always max at 6, regardless of how many I have going.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2012
4897 posts
353 upvotes
Canada
raspeed wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:35 pm
Yes, they do.

It's clear if you are a regular torrent user.

I can have 6 torrents going and they will all add up to 6, when one finishes, the rest get faster and the total is 6 still. It's always been this way. It was 3 for a while, and I'd say for at least the last 6 months it has been 6.

It's painfully apparent on my system.

I do not have any restrictions with any other form of downloading or streaming, but torrents always max at 6, regardless of how many I have going.
I’ve been torrenting for probably 15 years. You’ll never get the same download or upload as your internet service.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.howtoge ... y-for/amp/
Nov 7, 2017
94 posts
39 upvotes
john69est wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:29 pm
Did anyone else's Wi-Fi get alot slower ?
yes,,,i end up calling to have my modem refreshed on their end.
it got better but is not the same as before.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5997 posts
1697 upvotes
Canada
AquaticZERO wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:07 pm
I’ve been torrenting for probably 15 years. You’ll never get the same download or upload as your internet service.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.howtoge ... y-for/amp/
So have I, and it's clear that when my max download is always sitting at 6.0Mbps and when one finishes, the others get faster until the total DL speed is exactly 6.0, it's clear it's throttled.

I don't think you are downloading enough to notice, that is the difference.
Nov 24, 2016
19 posts
46 upvotes
Shaw rep told me to refresh your routed once a week (click the reset button on the back of the router with a pin)

I've been doing that every week and my speeds are from 130mbps to 160mbps everytime i check
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2012
4897 posts
353 upvotes
Canada
raspeed wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:40 pm
So have I, and it's clear that when my max download is always sitting at 6.0Mbps and when one finishes, the others get faster until the total DL speed is exactly 6.0, it's clear it's throttled.

I don't think you are downloading enough to notice, that is the difference.
Lol. Ok. Believe what you want. I’ve only worked for Shaw for 10 years installing internet
Dec 6, 2017
1 posts
AquaticZERO wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:47 am
Thumbs Up Sign
Not sure how to send PM's (or even if I can on a new account) but can you shoot me one?
I'm currently with shaw for tv/home phone/ internet 150, paying 105$ for the internet alone (-25.10 until sept 2018) on a 2 year contract.
Any way you can help?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2012
4897 posts
353 upvotes
Canada
justhereforthedeals wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:18 pm
Not sure how to send PM's (or even if I can on a new account) but can you shoot me one?
I'm currently with shaw for tv/home phone/ internet 150, paying 105$ for the internet alone (-25.10 until sept 2018) on a 2 year contract.
Any way you can help?
Only the Loyalty dept can promo an existing service. Try calling the office and asking for them.
Nov 20, 2017
6 posts
So with the discount you're paying 80$ which is the normal second year price.
Dec 24, 2016
19 posts
6 upvotes
AquaticZERO wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:13 pm
I am calling you out. You know that is not true. Shaw prioritizes the maximization of profit way too much!
Shaw wrote:Traffic Management Policies

Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.

Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.

Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.

The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

Source: https://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Terms ... ternet.pdf
And for comparison:
Telus wrote:What is TELUS’ Internet traffic management policy?

TELUS manages Internet traffic on small portions of our network to ensure our customers have the best Internet experience possible.

What this means for you

Most customers will not experience any change. This change will only impact a small number of customers in communities where demand for Internet usage is greater than the available network capacity.

Only at times of congestion, a small number of customers using the most bandwidth will be affected and may notice slower speeds. This will allow us to provide the majority (upwards of 80%) of customers using less bandwidth with a better experience and more consistent Internet speeds.

At TELUS, we are continually investing in our networks and are working hard to alleviate congestion from all affected communities. We know a reliable Internet experience matters to you, and we’re on a continuous journey to provide you with the best service possible.

Why is TELUS applying traffic management policies?

Canadians are relying on the Internet for more and more of their communications and entertainment needs. At TELUS, we’ve experienced this trend first hand and witnessed Internet traffic double on our network over the past two years alone as customers enjoy increasing amounts of HD video and interactive content online. We understand that our customers want reliable access to high quality Internet and invest heavily in our networks every year.

We are continually investing in our networks and are working hard to keep pace with demand and alleviate congestion from all affected communities. In select areas we will be temporarily managing Internet traffic during peak periods of use until we have completed the necessary network builds, expansions, and upgrades to meet customer demand.

We’ve put this change in place because we want all of our customers to have a great Internet experience.

How does this policy impact Internet traffic?

We manage Internet traffic by identifying congestion on portions of our network. At times when congestion is present, our traffic management practices work to ensure Internet traffic is split fairly among all customers.

This practice measures overall Internet usage in a given area over a recent interval of time. Only at times of congestion, TELUS will redistribute network capacity across all users by temporarily reducing the speed of the few heavy users; this will provide better speeds to the majority of other customers (upwards of 80%). This ensures that Internet capacity is distributed fairly amongst all users.

This measure treats all types of Internet traffic equally; it does not discriminate by content or application.

Does this change impact me?

Most customers will not experience any change. This change will only impact a small number of our customers in communities where demand for Internet usage is greater than the available network capacity.

As of March 1, 2016 TELUS will be managing Internet traffic during times of congestion on portions of our network in the following communities:*

Bearspaw Hartley Road Peace River
Big Hills Lloydminster Ponoka
Dawson Creek MissionRoberts Creek
Fort St John Nanaimo Salmon Arm

We’re on a continuous journey to improve our services and provide you with the best experience possible. If you have any questions about this change, we’d love to hear from you. Chat live with one of our representatives at telus.com/chat

* Communities impacted by traffic management practices are subject to change without notice.

Source: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/ser ... management
But these are not on the same level, as Shaw actively targets everyone, at least in part because they see it as competition to traditional service, while Telus only impacts a few in comparison, in places where congestion is a legitimate, temporary issue. Shaw violates net neutrality.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7504 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
I was on Shaw up to 3 years ago (when I was on the 50mbps plan) and I wasn't throttled (of course it could change). I've been on Telus for the past 3 years and they don't throttle me either.

I will say if you read the Shaw forums on dslreports .com there's quite the hate on for the modems that come with 150mbps service. Apparently they're pretty bad (and could explain your slow speeds, and why the other poster mention you have to reset them all the time). It's one of the reasons I stayed with Telus as their slower speeds (well that and every time you call to cancel they give you a pretty good deal to stay).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)