• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2015 5:35 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 16, 2013
118 posts
2 upvotes

Shaw sucks - Disappointing retention deal

I called Shaw recently to cancel services and was left with just Shaw Internet. The price of my package is $59/month and they offered me a $5/month discount not to cancel internet. So for the next 6 months, I pay $54/month.

New customers get 50% off Shaw pricing for 6 months while long term customers like myself (20 years), get just $5 off. I understand that companies are looking for new customers but studies do show it is easier to retain existing customers then to seek new ones.

What I'm wondering is has anyone managed to recently get a better retention deal with Shaw than the $5/month that I was offered on my service.

After 20 years of service, I'm thinking of leaving Shaw for Telus or one of the other locals.

Thank you
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
1. You have to actually cancel to get a retention deal. Schedule your cancellation for the end of the month to give Shaw time to respond. They are quite resistant to offering any deals to existing customers who are just testing the waters.

2. Wait at least a week before you assume they have no retention deal to offer. Shaw is slow to follow up, either because they want to be sure you are serious, or it just takes them that long. They probably lose a lot of customers that way - in my case they offered a much better retention deal than I was expecting, easily enough to have kept me as a customer, but a week too late.

3. There are pros and cons for waiting until the end of a fiscal year or quarter to do this. On the one hand, both Telus and Shaw are keen to produce high customer attraction and retention rates prior to their quarterly and year-end reports, but on the other hand they may super-busy around that time, especially with students returning to school in the fall.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
If you are in BC then they will probably fight hard to keep your service because telus fibre is just around the corner!!
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
magical wrote: If you are in BC then they will probably fight hard to keep your service because telus fibre is just around the corner!!
Or Teksavvy, lightspeed, etc..
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
Shaw has not been at giving out good retention deals in the last 6-12 months, unlike the past. No need to wait and stay. Many long time Shaw customers like yourself cancelled Shaw, went with just Telus Internet 50 and are super happy. Telus gives you the good 6 month pricing, then it bumps up to regular. Internet has been better for many old Shaw customers after they went to Telus.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
JamesA1 wrote: 1. You have to actually cancel to get a retention deal. Schedule your cancellation for the end of the month to give Shaw time to respond. They are quite resistant to offering any deals to existing customers who are just testing the waters.

2. Wait at least a week before you assume they have no retention deal to offer. Shaw is slow to follow up, either because they want to be sure you are serious, or it just takes them that long. They probably lose a lot of customers that way - in my case they offered a much better retention deal than I was expecting, easily enough to have kept me as a customer, but a week too late.

3. There are pros and cons for waiting until the end of a fiscal year or quarter to do this. On the one hand, both Telus and Shaw are keen to produce high customer attraction and retention rates prior to their quarterly and year-end reports, but on the other hand they may super-busy around that time, especially with students returning to school in the fall.
this.
You have to be prepared to actually leave for best results and this is for both Shaw and Telus.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Just keep switching between TELUS and Shaw every 6 months.
Jul 16, 2013
118 posts
2 upvotes
magical wrote: If you are in BC then they will probably fight hard to keep your service because telus fibre is just around the corner!!
I did not know this and Googled it to find out that they are in some of the local municipalities but just not in mine.

Sounds like they are charging $55 for fiber during a promo period after which the price jumps to about $90...at least that's what I read on some blogs, just not sure how accurate this is.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
Yesterday, I got a call to switch to Telus fiber for ~$50 per month. I'm on Shaw. Doesn't sound like it is FTTH, but the guy insisted that my house was already wired up. It was 15Mbps, which wasn't very attractive considering I used to have 25Mbps VDSL2 with Telus at the same location 2 years ago.

Does anyone know the full details of the fibre roll out? The Telus rep couldn't answer my technical questions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
If it's 15 Mbps it's most likely just VDSL2 over copper. As far as I know Telus hasn't run fiber to existing homes in any community without everyone hearing about it. In most places it just runs to neighbourhood nodes that are then connected to homes by VDSL2 over copper lines.

But the place to ask would be http://www.dslreports.com/forum/telus, where a lot of Telus reps and technical experts hang out.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: If it's 15 Mbps it's most likely just VDSL2 over copper. As far as I know Telus hasn't run fiber to existing homes in any community without everyone hearing about it. In most places it just runs to neighbourhood nodes that are then connected to homes by VDSL2 over copper lines.

But the place to ask would be http://www.dslreports.com/forum/telus, where a lot of Telus reps and technical experts hang out.
Telus signed agreement with at least 1 community to run fiber to the home, no?
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Why are you leaving? Just to see how big of a discount you would get? If you are not happy, why stay?
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
Funny 20 year customer, well my mom, and we were offered the same $5/month discount on each service, what a joke!!
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Im with Shaw too and the last time I called they offered me nothing at all. I will be leaving them soon I think.

I sent a PM to the guys here and they didn't even bother responding either...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4111 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: I sent a PM to the guys here and they didn't even bother responding either...
They only care about new customers, that's why.
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
hvwozq wrote: They only care about new customers, that's why.
Yup, also pm'd someone without a reply back.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
638 upvotes
BC
Depends on what you want. I have Internet, TV and Phone with Shaw for many years (more than 10). Haven't had a breakdown (well maybe 2-3 in a few years). Own my own PVR (2 DCT 3410?) and my own modem. Reluctant to change since have no reason (unless cost is a factor). To go to Telus means getting new PVRs and modem. Then its the download factor. Shaw has NEVER questioned the amount I download. So if it ain't broke I'm reluctant to fix it. :D Just my experience. YMMV.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I was happy enough with Shaw for several years, but they kept raising the price for the same old service. Eventually I decided to leave, but they gave me a retention deal that included TV + free PVR rental + phone for the same price I was previously paying for just the internet portion (not that I needed or ever used their phone service, but it was a necessary part of the package so that I would be a "new or upgrading customer").

After 6 months Shaw put the price way up again, so I switched to Telus. A week after I canceled, Shaw came back with a retention offer to extend their original deal for another year, but I was already out the door.

Telus gave me internet + TV for $30/month for 6 months with no contract, no installation fees - and they gave me a 100% rebate on a purchased refurb Telus PVR. Now my 6 month promo has run out with Telus, but their ongoing price is still cheaper than Shaw's, and I have no reason to be very unhappy with Telus until they raise their price or cut their service beyond what I think is reasonable. But sadly, I'm sure that will happen before too long. I doubt I would go back to Shaw at this point. I wasn't ever unhappy with Shaw's service, but their pricing wasn't good and my impression is that it has gotten worse. I think the next step would be to an independent cable or DSL ISP for about a 30% discount on internet, and just cut the cord completely on TV service since we're already fully set up for that and watching more internet TV than cable anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)