Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 22, 2012
118 posts
7 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Shaw or Telus for Home Internet and TV?

I'm moving into a new place shortly (my first home!) and will make the choice between Shaw and Telus for TV and Internet. This was always in my rent before and never paid much attention to it tbh. I have a valid student card, we use internet for simple things, not for streaming or uploading or whatever, and watch sports, movies, news and minimal other tv shows. What do people recommend in Vancouver (or anywhere I suppose) for the fairest price to match our needs? And do month to month deals usually save more money or cost more compared to 2 or 3 year contracts? And yes I will accept a PM offer from reps of Shaw or Telus.
13 replies
Feb 25, 2015
162 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
With student id Telus gives big discount on internet. I believe we save 30-40$ just because of my student id.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul" ;) :cool:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6116 upvotes
In the Hot Deals forum there are threads for each Telus and Shaw - rep's from each will respond with the best deal they can offer. I am unsure if the student promo's are still on, however for Telus you would get 12 months of internet for $25 or $30. The student promo's will be great deals.

I personally bounce around between Telus and Shaw - now that the hardware is typically included in your rental there is no reason not to. Often the retention offers are not that great, but the new customer offers are.
Nov 20, 2013
138 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TrevorK
Could you please say more about how do they compare? Any noticable differences in speeds, stability, support?
I am with Shaw-30 and quite dissatisfied. Speed is at least twice slower than 30, and most of the time is actually even lower.
I have no student ID. Is it some real student offer or one could be kind of student? (you know, some deals just let you say yes Im a student and there you go)
Btw, I've tried dedicated Telus/Shaw threads, and reps did respond, but they offer nothing fresh, just usual stuff from their websites.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6116 upvotes
pimpilsang wrote:
Nov 17th, 2015 1:29 am
TrevorK
Could you please say more about how do they compare? Any noticable differences in speeds, stability, support?
I am with Shaw-30 and quite dissatisfied. Speed is at least twice slower than 30, and most of the time is actually even lower.
I have no student ID. Is it some real student offer or one could be kind of student? (you know, some deals just let you say yes Im a student and there you go)
Btw, I've tried dedicated Telus/Shaw threads, and reps did respond, but they offer nothing fresh, just usual stuff from their websites.
I had Internet 15 with Shaw, Internet 25 with Telus. The easiest way for me to accurately answer is my overall experience downloading torrents - when downloading torrents it was 1.8mbps on Shaw and 2.8mbps on Telus. So both were very close to their advertised speeds in my mind (when it came to downloading). I had no problems with reliability with either provider - their modems had about the same range and with my iPhone I had the same problem of dropping the signal in one end of my house on occasion. Honestly, I noticed no difference. I never really contact support - everything operates fine (except the one instance below where the cable box was hit).

Personally I would contact "good deal bc" because he's always been super helpful for my Telus signups, has no issue with telling me to call back after I switch to Shaw and want to switch back, and because you are a "new" customer you can deal with him (it seems if you are an existing customer the reps really don't help you much and just tell you to call retentions).

One thing I have is a "booster" for Shaw. When we used them for cable someone hit the cable box with a car and the signal really degraded, so while they were waiting to repair they put in this "booster". It's some Motorola device that all my cable outlets plug into and it has a power cord itself, and at least for cable TV it did wonders (as I had major issues with my TV at the time that were instantly resolved).

That's odd with your experience from the reps - whenever I have asked for a response I get something different than is on the website. In fact, there was even one occasion where my initial bill was wrong ($5 too much for internet) and the Shaw rep I called to correct (didn't want to bother the RFD guy) said I was lying about the rate and they cannot honour it, that it's "just not possible". Then, a couple days later after contacting the Shaw rep that signed me up, my rate was magically adjusted. So in my experience they can, or have at least in the past, offered me rates that are unavailable on the website. It sucks your experience is not the same because for me those reps have been great.

I cannot comment on "real" or not "real". I can tell you I did not have to provide my student ID when signing up, and from reviewing the thread, it seems many others do not until several years later. For the record, I do have a valid student ID.
Feb 13, 2008
410 posts
136 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I use Shaw for tv and Telus for home phone and internet. From time to time I call them up and I get discounts of up to ten dollars a month. Shaw gave me a free pvr to keep me happy.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10351 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
Can someone direct me to the Shaw thread? Where I can ask a rep what , if any offers are available for a new customer?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
Reason why I use Shaw is because they don't charge you overcharges when you go over their caps. Telus has 250GB cap for their 25 Internet. My family blows through that to 500-750gb.

Can't find that shaw thread anymore. It may have got taken down. Maybe someone else can dig it out.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10351 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
Can someone tell me if the non gateway equipment has changed in the past 5 years? I still own a PVR and looking to sign up again. Probably save money using my own pvr?

Any ideas what I should do? I live in an apartment and own 1 tv.

Cheers
Sep 14, 2007
124 posts
26 upvotes
Vernon.BC
The Shaw promo thread is in the expired promo section.Wonder why?
Jul 19, 2011
10 posts
Burnaby
I've been paying $35 + tax for Shaw Internet 30 for about a year and the promo rate is ending soon. I'm looking to switch to Telus, or have my wife sign-up as a new customer with Shaw. I'm looking for basically the same deal and was wondering if anyone had heard of any deals? Ideally I'd like a year at the promo rate, but I'd settle for 6 months. I'm in BC.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2013
3640 posts
194 upvotes
Vancity
Shaw , has new 3 month & 6 month ( Value Plan ) offers .
Dean Hamaguchi
Shaw Communications
Apr 12, 2016
7 posts
Im with Shaw, and my student promo is running out soon( i believe end of April), which sucks since i'm still a student during the summer months ... Called the shaw customer serv number and the guy from india said they cant do anything about it. Then tried to upsell me to "Save more money" by bundling with tv.

I just want internet, and i've realized that telus apparantly has 12 month student promos, wherase shaws is only 8. Anyone switch over to telus and have good responses?