Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
394 posts
88 upvotes
Chilliwack

Shaw vs Telus internet

We currently have Shaw High Speed 25 (25 Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up/250Gb monthly) and are contemplating moving to Telus' High Speed Turbo 25 (21 - 25 Mbps down /2.5Mpbs up/500Gb monthly) and was wondering if anyone had an opinion. Though Shaw has been great during the day we find that during the evening it can really slow down so that's why we were thinking maybe Telus as I've been told it's not a shared connection and may be more consistent. Optik TV is not an option for us as we don't watch tv and don't currently have a tv package with Shaw. Thanks!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1037 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton
I've also noticed Shaw to be pretty slow sometimes, I read recently telus is lowering data usage by 50% on some plans, looks like Turbo 25 is included "Turbo 25 users will see their bandwidth cap drop a staggering 50%, from 500 to only 250 gigabytes."

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/telus-shr ... 2012-12-06
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1910 posts
119 upvotes
Never used Telus Optik.

Used Telus ADSL for years and hated it. 1 outage per month, AFAIK that is totally region dependent. Speed fluctuated quite a bit. With the amount that Telus mobility F'd me on billing I'd never want to do business with them again, never had a problem with billing for landline/ADSL though.

The single biggest alarm bell for me though, would be the fact that they're trying to get people to sign a term commitment contract and offering incentives.

Not an apples to apples comparison but my $.02.

I've had one outage in 3 years on Shaw. I pay 1/3 more than I paid Telus and receive more than triple the service I was getting, I recommend them to everybody.
Nov 2, 2006
842 posts
15 upvotes
Personally I think they're pretty equal. Just go with whichever gives you the best price. Some people jump back and forth depending on the promotions.
Jan 1, 2008
57 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
Hands down Shaw. Telus and their BS contracts, their speeds are slower from my experience and their customer service is the worst.

Shaw, great service, pretty good speeds and NO contracts.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1032 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver
Telus is fine, I have no contract, pay 15 bux for 15mbs. Hasn't been down in the 6 months I've had it, no limits, caps, etc

Nyd
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9770 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I've had Telus DSL for over ten years, and don't really have anything to complain about. It has been stable for me.

That said, I don't think either is really better; it just depends on conditions of where the user is. My brother in another area of Vancouver also has Telus, and he used to get outages far more often than me. Best to ask around your local area for feedback, as opposed to a Canada-wide forum. Try DSL Reports' forums.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
394 posts
88 upvotes
Chilliwack
rabbit wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 3:14 am
I've had Telus DSL for over ten years, and don't really have anything to complain about. It has been stable for me.

That said, I don't think either is really better; it just depends on conditions of where the user is. My brother in another area of Vancouver also has Telus, and he used to get outages far more often than me. Best to ask around your local area for feedback, as opposed to a Canada-wide forum. Try DSL Reports' forums.
You're right, I think the best thing to do is ask my neighbours how Telus works for them. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
1816 posts
377 upvotes
Kelowna
I had Telus Optik 15 for a while and hated it. When we would watch tv, my internet would slow down immensely! watching one HD channel would drop my speeds to about 9mbps, watching an hd channel and recording something with the pvr? Speeds now down to 6mbps. Run the vacuum or a kitchen appliance? tv freezes completely. If one computer was downloading something and taking up all the bandwidth, my other devices wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi. Even the computer that was downloading couldn't browse the web at the same time. Also I was told be telus that you should power cycle the modem once a month to clear the internal buffers otherwise your modem will keep slowing down more and more.

I would not recommend Telus for internet. It was a joke.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
394 posts
88 upvotes
Chilliwack
Sinyk wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 12:27 pm
I had Telus Optik 15 for a while and hated it. When we would watch tv, my internet would slow down immensely! watching one HD channel would drop my speeds to about 9mbps, watching an hd channel and recording something with the pvr? Speeds now down to 6mbps. Run the vacuum or a kitchen appliance? tv freezes completely. If one computer was downloading something and taking up all the bandwidth, my other devices wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi. Even the computer that was downloading couldn't browse the web at the same time. Also I was told be telus that you should power cycle the modem once a month to clear the internal buffers otherwise your modem will keep slowing down more and more.

I would not recommend Telus for internet. It was a joke.
Actually I'm looking at the regular Telus internet, not Optik. Optik isn't an option for us as we don't want to subscribe to tv. And as for the modem, we have to power off our Shaw modem at least once a week to keep it running properly, I think that's just the way hardware is.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6592 posts
724 upvotes
BC
beth1791 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 5:16 pm
We currently have Shaw High Speed 25 (25 Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up/250Gb monthly) and are contemplating moving to Telus' High Speed Turbo 25 (21 - 25 Mbps down /2.5Mpbs up/500Gb monthly) and was wondering if anyone had an opinion. Though Shaw has been great during the day we find that during the evening it can really slow down so that's why we were thinking maybe Telus as I've been told it's not a shared connection and may be more consistent. Optik TV is not an option for us as we don't watch tv and don't currently have a tv package with Shaw. Thanks!
All internet gets shared somewhere along the way; the few times I've had Telus I found it to slow down more in the evenings than Shaw did (which was quite a feat considering how much slower Telus was to begin with). If you're in an area where Shaw has oversubscribed nodes it might be worth trying Telus, but it could also help if you were able to get a DOCSIS 3 modem from Shaw, although to do that you'd need to move to the 50Mb tier.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1748 posts
442 upvotes
For your consideration, Shaw has much better routing than Telus. For example if you're a Telus customer in Vancouver, your traffic to Seattle is likely to be routed via the east coast, making ping time ridiculously high. If you use something like VoIP or play online games that benefit from low latency, you should choose Shaw. If on the other hand you do things like Netflix, YouTube, email, and general web browsing, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1303 posts
90 upvotes
I have been promo hopping between Shaw and Telus. Currently on Telus 15dn/1up plan. Today (Friday) at 6pm, I was getting 12Mbps to Telus' speedtest.net server, but only 2Mbps to other non-Telus speedtest.net servers. This is pretty typical for me, and I have given up watching YouTube HD videos unless I preload it first. Tried with multiple PCs, OSes and phones/tablets, pretty sure it's not a problem on my end since I consistently get 10-15Mbps to Telus. I always want to go back to Shaw, but they keep extending my discount rate... Shaw on the other hand is happy to let you leave.
PianoGuy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 9:38 pm
For your consideration, Shaw has much better routing than Telus. For example if you're a Telus customer in Vancouver, your traffic to Seattle is likely to be routed via the east coast, making ping time ridiculously high. If you use something like VoIP or play online games that benefit from low latency, you should choose Shaw. If on the other hand you do things like Netflix, YouTube, email, and general web browsing, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference.
Thanks! This explanation makes a lot of sense to me, even at the minimal 2-3Mbps, this should be enough for online gaming, but I experience lag spikes all the time in Star Trek Online and couldn't figure out why.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
If you want to check out routing yourself, try Ping Plotter

Enter a destination url and it shows you exactly what nodes your packets are bouncing through on the way to and from that url, and the real-time delay at each node, with a nice chart.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
394 posts
88 upvotes
Chilliwack
Kwirky wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 8:46 pm
but it could also help if you were able to get a DOCSIS 3 modem from Shaw, although to do that you'd need to move to the 50Mb tier.
We were on BB50 until a week ago but they gave us a Cisco router instead of the one you mentioned.
× < >