Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Shell 91 gasoline (no ethanol) vs. every other Brand of gasoline

Is Shell the only station or brand to offer premium gasoline with no ethanol (they advertise this on their v-power)? Even ultra 94 tends to have a little ethanol in it.
--
I like detailing cars!
13 replies
Nov 3, 2009
623 posts
222 upvotes
If you read the sticker, I believe it says 91 no ethanol..."where available".
Mar 24, 2009
405 posts
47 upvotes
starchland wrote: If you read the sticker, I believe it says 91 no ethanol..."where available".
+1

E10 is mandated by law in Ontario and Quebec.
Dec 27, 2008
174 posts
4 upvotes
Deaks2 wrote: +1

Regular Gasoline is Still an Option
The regulation calls for an annual average of five per cent ethanol, so it is likely that consumers will still be able to buy ethanol-free gasoline, although the price may be higher in some areas. To help facilitate supply of ethanol-free gasoline, the regulation also exempts fuel suppliers from balancing the requirements for volumes of gasoline with marine, aviation, off-road, and antique vehicle end-use, provided that the end-use can be demonstrated.
Nov 8, 2009
135 posts
9 upvotes
I just hate additives that add cost without purpose. I understand the use of ethanol in gasoline during winter, but what's the use in summer? They say it's apparently "cleaner." What I see in terms of cleanliness is that it cleans out your pocket; ie, you get less mileage when compared to ethanol-free gas. Gas prices are really jacked up here, and one would want to get the most out of every tank. I'm sick and tired of comparing our gas and other merchandise with the States. Many of the States have mandatory ethanol-free gas laws; not to mention they have way cheaper gas.

Here in Canada, we have really strict emission laws; one of the toughest in the world. Why the extra bull?
"I start thinking where you stop thinking"

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/691176690.png[/IMG]
Mar 24, 2009
405 posts
47 upvotes
fsalim wrote: I just hate additives that add cost without purpose. I understand the use of ethanol in gasoline during winter, but what's the use in summer? They say it's apparently "cleaner." What I see in terms of cleanliness is that it cleans out your pocket; ie, you get less mileage when compared to ethanol-free gas. Gas prices are really jacked up here, and one would want to get the most out of every tank. I'm sick and tired of comparing our gas and other merchandise with the States. Many of the States have mandatory ethanol-free gas laws; not to mention they have way cheaper gas.

Here in Canada, we have really strict emission laws; one of the toughest in the world. Why the extra bull?
? Our emissions laws are a joke compared to California or the EU. We don't even require emissions control devices on trucks, and e-testing is left to the provinces, most of which don't mandate it in their laws.

Not to mention ethanol is an effective octane booster, and much safer than MTBE which was the previous industry norm.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
fsalim wrote: I just hate additives that add cost without purpose. I understand the use of ethanol in gasoline during winter, but what's the use in summer? They say it's apparently "cleaner." What I see in terms of cleanliness is that it cleans out your pocket; ie, you get less mileage when compared to ethanol-free gas. Gas prices are really jacked up here, and one would want to get the most out of every tank. I'm sick and tired of comparing our gas and other merchandise with the States. Many of the States have mandatory ethanol-free gas laws; not to mention they have way cheaper gas.

Actually, ethanol does not add cost, it lessens it. Ethanol is a "filler". Add 10% ethanol, lowers the the petroleum cost by 10%, decrease the mileage you get in the car etc. It is just a win for the gas companies, mandated by Government.
You are actually quite wrong with your emissions standards statement. We in Canada are average at worst and the same as 49 states at best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
Pete_Coach wrote: Actually, ethanol does not add cost, it lessens it. Ethanol is a "filler". Add 10% ethanol, lowers the the petroleum cost by 10%, decrease the mileage you get in the car etc. It is just a win for the gas companies, mandated by Government.
You are actually quite wrong with your emissions standards statement. We in Canada are average at worst and the same as 49 states at best.
on who's POV.
It lessens the cost on the producer by adding ethanol as a filler.
It's never a win-win. It's a win-lose. win for mfr, lose for consumer.
Just as the HST is a win for gov't, store owners. Lose for consumer.

In terms of emission standards, you're correct.
California emission is the toughest out there.
Europe is quite up there as well, higher than Canada, which is why petrol costs so much there, but it's also cleaner too. I don't think petrol prices in Europe is justified. Which is why many people drive regular cars and use public transportation. Not too many people drive high end luxo's.

In NA, people want people to know they have $$$. While in europe most people want to be remain understated.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2032 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Are there any stations in North York area that carry 87 grade ethanol free gas ?
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
maniacshopper wrote: It's never a win-win. It's a win-lose. win for mfr, lose for consumer.
Just as the HST is a win for gov't, store owners. Lose for consumer.
He was saying it's win-win for the oil companies. Ethanol blend is cheaper to produce, and it's gets lower mileage so customers need to fill up more often.
Banned
Feb 25, 2007
35 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Deaks2 wrote: +1

It's actually 5% and AVERAGE only.
Shell has 10% fro Bronze, 5% for Silver and 0% for Gold. Their average is below 5%.
Link for the law and formula.
Jul 5, 2006
314 posts
45 upvotes
nolssoft wrote: It's actually 5% and AVERAGE only.
Shell has 10% fro Bronze, 5% for Silver and 0% for Gold. Their average is below 5%.
Link for the law and formula.

Interesting, so in Ontario what are we actually buying when we fill up with V-power? I'm expecting 0% ethanol but it's pretty clear by the link that all petrol in Ontario must be minimum 5% ethanol by volume.

This might explain why I get slightly better mileage when using V-power over Petro 91 and then a very noticeable increase in mileage when buying premium in the states.
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
mark001 wrote: Interesting, so in Ontario what are we actually buying when we fill up with V-power? I'm expecting 0% ethanol but it's pretty clear by the link that all petrol in Ontario must be minimum 5% ethanol by volume.

This might explain why I get slightly better mileage when using V-power over Petro 91 and then a very noticeable increase in mileage when buying premium in the states.
You're still getting 0% ethanol with V-power. The link states that of all the fuel a vendor sells, it has to have an AVERAGE of 5% ethanol. Meaning with 10% ethanol in 87 (which outsells premium), 5% in 89 and 0% in 91, you still have an average that is greater than 5% ethanol. From the formula in the link “B is the volume of non-ethanol-blended gasolines that the fuel supplier placed in the Ontario market in the compliance year".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
starchland wrote: If you read the sticker, I believe it says 91 no ethanol..."where available".

crap, so the claim is busted because the term "where available" is just a clause. If they run out of no ethanol they can substitute with e90, without false advertising.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)