Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2015
148 posts
139 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
protege2k wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 7:45 am
or, $200 / 95 days = $2.10 / day vs $180/90 days = $2 / day. Depends how you want to look at it....

I used the app for shell last year and it's very unreliable (perhaps just for the shell location I went to). The worst thing is wasting 20 min (or more) lining up, only to have the app not work, annoy everyone else that's lined up behind you while you fiddle with the app, then having to maneuver your car out of the car wash line (if even possible - though most wash stations should have an escape path).
I think of it this way: each wash is $12.99, so a $200 prepaid card would give me just over 15 washes in 95 days
pretty sure that I'd put my car through 15 washes in 95 days
the rest is bonus for my friends and family
the card is a huge convenient, a time saver versus having to buy a wash everytime
Mar 2, 2015
148 posts
139 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
i-o_o-i wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:22 am
Depends where you are, in my area there are more Shell locations and they're all touchless wash while the Petro Canada locations closest to me are still soft cloth.

I used it last year on my Samsung S6 Edge and my mom's iPhone 6 both worked fine, however last year it only worked with the latest/newer gen Android and iPhones, the other people we shared the pass with had to pass along with the card and sometimes the card reader would not work. Aside, from that I was very satisfied with the Shell washes, the 2 locations nearest me had the trackless touchless system, cleaned my cars very well and even had a wheel cleaner that comes out.
indeed, it depends on where you are
I can only speak for Ottawa area
there are many more Petro-Can stations with car wash in Ottawa than Shell stations with car wash
Oct 29, 2014
55 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
omg. for android phones, the app accepts Nexus 6 or S6 ONLY

that makes the deal cold!
Mar 2, 2015
148 posts
139 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mtlmonk wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:28 am
No QC...there's one a corner away from my house...that would've been awesome!
no problem if you live in Gatineau
Ottawa is just a hop across the river
lots of people live in Gatineau and work in Ottawa
Mar 2, 2015
148 posts
139 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
GSD wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:33 am
I have used the Petro-Canada season pass for four years. Last year I decided to use the Shell season pass for the first time. What a nightmare. The card sometimes never worked at the car wash, the gas station staff were useless. The manager at the location was plain rude and swore at me. He asked me to leave the card at the location (which is a no no as lost cards cannot be replaced, unlike Petro Canada which allows replacements). Shell's 1800 customer service (based in South Africa) were just as useless not crediting missed washes due to an inoperative season pass card.

Buyer beware I say for Shell (hell) season pass I am sticking with Petro Canada season pass.
so Petro-Can allows card replacement
that's really good to know; thanks
this alone solidifies my pick
I'm gonna go with the Petro-Can pass
Dec 23, 2011
250 posts
176 upvotes
Anyone knows which type of car wash is this from shell, is it just the basic or ultimate?
Jul 14, 2009
406 posts
782 upvotes
GTA
ryanpuge wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:24 am
We use this last year with the app.. Definitely worth it..
Thanks OP

Well the app clearly said that it will only work for Iphone 5 or higher and SG4 or higher...
I tried sideloading the APK with my oneplus1 - i got it installed but then had a problem at the car wash (ended up getting a new code in store and was lucky there was no lineup)
the other users who were in the same pool with my 90 days pass didn't have any problem.
2 users with SG6 - used it in Scarborough area
1 user with iphone 6 - used it in North York area (Keele and Wilson i think)
1 user with S4 - used it in Ajax
1 user with iphone 5 - used it in Ajax
then I have the card with 2 cars

Overall, we were happy with the app and the 90 day pass
Thanks for your post, puts me more at ease in recommending this to my winter wash group.
How easy was it to print codes off in-store if anything went wrong?
Jul 19, 2010
484 posts
118 upvotes
Calgary
I got the app to work on my Samsung S5, but you can't download the apk from the app store.. have to side load it

ahzimzim wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:54 am
omg. for android phones, the app accepts Nexus 6 or S6 ONLY

that makes the deal cold!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1912 posts
207 upvotes
Petro Canada pass prints are acceptable ?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4760 posts
815 upvotes
my only worry is when the app fails in line like others have said; you would have a lot of pissed off people in line as you get out of your car to run in to wait in line for a print ticket... might end up with some scratch marks after the wash.. or even worse.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dang, none of the Shells in my area are available for me to us the app at. Too bad.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4468 posts
1394 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cant see it in the terms or OP, are there taxes on top of the $179.95?

Also, Can you just photocopy the card and use that at the wash? or do you have to go inside to scan the actual card (if not using the app)
Last edited by canuckcolehead on Nov 22nd, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 16, 2008
293 posts
60 upvotes
TimBitz wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 1:03 pm
Thanks for your post, puts me more at ease in recommending this to my winter wash group.
How easy was it to print codes off in-store if anything went wrong?
it happened to me once (first day I used the pass).
I spoke the attendant over the intercom then after the failed retries, the attendant came out to input the code.
Jan 16, 2008
293 posts
60 upvotes
coleworld wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 1:55 pm
Cant see it in the terms or OP, are there taxes on top of the $179.95?

Also, Can you just photocopy the card and use that at the wash? or do you have to go inside to scan the actual card (if not using the app)
this is interesting... would like to know to or I will try it once I get the card...
Fyi, there is also a group buy thread on this car wash..
shell-car-wash-pass-1922551/7/
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15500 posts
1448 upvotes
GTA
Does shell have any locations that don't have a guide rail damaging sports cars, body work and wheels?