• Mar 7th, 2018 2:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga

Shermag Baby Crib Review

I just noticed Shermag has another recall on baby crib which reminds me my story with Shermag.
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-al ... 6r-eng.php

I purchased baby crib for my first daughter in 2009 (http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-al ... 2r-eng.php) and it worked fine. I was not aware of the recall until when I tried to set it up again for my second daughter after couple years. I noticed the recall and contacted Shermag to require a replacement based on Health Canada's recommendation.

Here is the response I got.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon,

The recall was on all Michelle cribs though only a few showed splinters. Health Canada having the highest standards in babies furniture, they asked for a recall on all of them.

Please examine carefully your own crib to see if there are any splinters as illustrated on the attached picture. There is also the official document about the recall.

Further to that, if your crib is in perfect condition, you could indeed keep using it without any problem, along with your side rails or as a crib.

If you prefer to benefit from the recall, just let me know and I will send the appropriate paperwork for it. Please note that the recall process offers $99 per crib and the crib must be destroyed once the process is completed.

Thank you and have a nice day!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After waiting for a month, they told me they won't offer a replacement. They only offer 99 CAD if I destroy the crib which I spent around 500-600 CAD to purchase through Toys R Us back then including side rails. I contacted health Canada and they told me I should not use it since it has been recalled. If something happens because of damaged crib, it is my responsibility BUT they can't control what manufacture does. They recommend manufacture to replace it however the final decision is on manufacture. The agent was nice and called Shermag for me once but I guess Shermag told her the same answer. I also contacted Toys R Us but they could not do anything either.

As results, I ends up using the recalled crib. I wasn't happy about Health Canada since they only issue a recall but don't enforce manufacture's actions. I wasn't happy about Shermag since the profit is the only thing they care and customer comes to the last. I wasn't happy about Toys R Us since they were the only distributor for the crib which has been recalled and it was the biggest distributor too at that moment. Toys R Us should have influence on manufactures like Shermag.

Curious what happens with cribs recalled recently. Anyone has own stories?

I also noticed no places you can leave reviews for Shermag brand. Google review/manufacture reviews are all turned off. Only reviews on specific products can be posted through Amazon and etc...

I share this story and hope it might help someone. oh,by the way, the crib still works.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
I realized with Baby Cribs, I should have bought one from Ikea ... their quality seems OK and they'll stand by a safety recall. Price is good too.

But like you, I decided to buy a fancy looking crib but the quality wasn't any better than what I could have gotten at Ikea. In fact, the crib we got several years ago looks almost exactly like your Shermag...
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:55 am
I realized with Baby Cribs, I should have bought one from Ikea ... their quality seems OK and they'll stand by a safety recall. Price is good too.

But like you, I decided to buy a fancy looking crib but the quality wasn't any better than what I could have gotten at Ikea. In fact, the crib we got several years ago looks almost exactly like your Shermag...
I never paid attention to recalls until having kids, but I've since learned that there is minimal enforcement of recalls other than telling the buyer to dispose of the product. Even the requirements for recall notices are pretty weak; I monitor the Health Canada recalls list on a weekly basis now as a result. I've started to pay the premium for better known brands and larger stores now because they tend to take recalls more seriously.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi Mikaelali,

I can't agree more. It is sad to see how much Health Canada can do. We are the only ones who can protect ourselves. Other than monitoring recalls, Consumer Reports is another way to go in my opinion.

Terry
Mar 11, 2007
805 posts
36 upvotes
So I contacted Shermag. They are giving me 300 for the crib but want me to saw it. Why should I need to saw it. I would discontinue using it (my daughter is slated to move to a bigger bed) but I’m not planning on playing Carpenter here... annoyed
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
How much did you pay for the grib? Was 300 enough to cover your loss?
scorpion2886 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 8:21 am
So I contacted Shermag. They are giving me 300 for the crib but want me to saw it. Why should I need to saw it. I would discontinue using it (my daughter is slated to move to a bigger bed) but I’m not planning on playing Carpenter here... annoyed
Mar 11, 2007
805 posts
36 upvotes
lasttibet wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 9:33 am
How much did you pay for the grib? Was 300 enough to cover your loss?
Mine was like 450. Its bs. I should get the full amount or replacement not get 300 and hack to take a hack saw to it,