• Oct 19th, 2015 12:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
LNahid2000 wrote: Nah I mean the food court that closed a couple of weeks ago. It still had that 1970s feel with the glass floor and neon lights.
I'm guessing you weren't around in the '70s or at least don't remember them very well. The original food court had a '70s feel because it was from the '70s. The food court that just closed was definitely not '70's. It was more early '90s.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1387 posts
58 upvotes
Raggie wrote: Yes I don't see anything special with the food court other than its modernized and trendy looking. Would love to see more independent or original eateries offered tho.
Would never happen with rents mall charge
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Swarez99 wrote: Would never happen with rents mall charge
+1. They wouldn't survive.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
^The malls are deliberately flushing out the ma and pa shops-not just the food court either. Clothing stores etc as well. They are invited to stay @ 40% more rent but they all realize that kind of rent is not realistic.
At best, maybe the ma and pa food shops can survive across the street from a mall, maybe...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: I'm assuming the Villa Medina is gone? I liked their shawarmas, but then they raised the price and reduced the toppings.
Villa Madina, KFC, Hero Burger, that Chinese food place that was next to Teriyaki Experience, that Korean (I think?) place next to McDonalds, the Crepe place, Caribbean Queen, Booster Juice, and maybe something I'm forgetting are all gone to my knowledge.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7083 posts
5213 upvotes
Look at the ownership of Oxford Properties and Cadillac Fairview.

Oxford Properties is owned by OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System)
Cadillac Fairview is owned by OTPP (Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan)

What do you think these organizations want?

They probably want low risk and long life tenants for a reliable stream of income.

They don't really want to deal with smaller outfits that rent a location for 3 months a year and then want out. They want to deal with one company that wants a location in all of their properties for 3-year contract as a minimum.

Regardless, I believe Retail Shopping is changing and I think most malls have seen their traffic decrease over the years with the growth of online shopping and the decline of living standards for average Canadians (bless Globalization which brings about an equalization of standards ... just sucks to be on the side that declines instead of rising).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
The quality of food at the new Sherway food court hasn't been very good for me the both times I visited.

Today I went to Chipotle, and the chicken was extremely salty. They also don't fill the pop up to the top of the cup, which I find strange... Make sure you request they fill the cup.

The other day I bought some sushi from Umi Sushi... I selected smoked salmon roll in error thinking it was a regular salmon roll. Also selection wasn't that great. (And this was on a weekend). Today, I took a look at what Umi had to offer... The sushi shelf was basically empty.

I think going forward I'm going to skip eating at that mall and instead wait til I'm finished shopping so I can go elsewhere to eat. I really miss Hero Burger that used to be upstairs.

Aroma Espresso downstairs was great tho. Much better made than the SQ1 location...
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: They also don't fill the pop up to the top of the cup, which I find strange... Make sure you request they fill the cup.
I find that strange too. How much does ice cost (them)? Why not just add a tiny bit more ice so the cup can at least look to be full?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
Ice really doesn't cost them anything, its probably a lazy employee
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
It wasn't a lazy worker since I brought my cup up for a refill and the second worker also did not fill the cup (almost two inches empty). I think they are told not to fill the cup (aka cheap owner, ripping off customer, etc.).
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
88 upvotes
Raggie wrote: It wasn't a lazy worker since I brought my cup up for a refill and the second worker also did not fill the cup (almost two inches empty). I think they are told not to fill the cup (aka cheap owner, ripping off customer, etc.).
Chipotle is corporate owned not franchised.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Raggie wrote: It wasn't a lazy worker since I brought my cup up for a refill and the second worker also did not fill the cup (almost two inches empty). I think they are told not to fill the cup (aka cheap owner, ripping off customer, etc.).
ddp wrote: Chipotle is corporate owned not franchised.
Interesting, never knew that. From the FAQ on their website:

[INDENT]Can I start a franchise or be involved in owning a restaurant in any way?

Nope. We’re not into franchising. But if you have a recommendation for a location, hit up the Development section of the site. You should also note that we are a publicly traded company on the NYSE. So, you can get a piece of the action by investing in CMG.[/INDENT]

Source: http://chipotle.com/faq
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
onlineharvest wrote: Interesting, never knew that. From the FAQ on their website:

[INDENT]Can I start a franchise or be involved in owning a restaurant in any way?

Nope. We’re not into franchising. But if you have a recommendation for a location, hit up the Development section of the site. You should also note that we are a publicly traded company on the NYSE. So, you can get a piece of the action by investing in CMG.[/INDENT]

Source: http://chipotle.com/faq
Same. Always thought some of them were franchises. In that case, I think I will write the company about this little issue... :D D
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: Same. Always thought some of them were franchises. In that case, I think I will write the company about this little issue... :D D
Sooooo...is this a location issue? Or a company wide issue? Any other locations failing to fill the cup all the way?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Yorkdale and Eaton Centre have fancier food courts. Sherway Gardens is a lot less interesting to go to than the former mentioned as well.
Yorkdale has some new restaurants that recently opened or are opening sometime in the near future.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Meh at best, all the places are 'boring'
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Yorkdale and Eaton Centre have fancier food courts. Sherway Gardens is a lot less interesting to go to than the former mentioned as well.
Yorkdale has some new restaurants that recently opened or are opening sometime in the near future.
The Keg is still a nice addition to Sherway though. :arrow: https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/locations ... y-gardens/