Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2487 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto

Shiba Inu in Toronto.

Any recommendations as to where to get a Shiba Inu puppy in Toronto?

Any input is much appreciated!
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
19 replies
Apr 25, 2011
624 posts
212 upvotes
British Columbia
Sorry, I have no knowledge of breeders.

I just wanted to make sure you have done your research on the breed. They are not an easy breed. I see far too many people getting dogs like this without considering the Shiba/Akita/Chow personality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2487 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:52 pm
Sorry, I have no knowledge of breeders.

I just wanted to make sure you have done your research on the breed. They are not an easy breed. I see far too many people getting dogs like this without considering the Shiba/Akita/Chow personality.

You are correct and this will be my first dog; I have been doing some readings since 4 years ago (but not about this breed) in order to properly prepare myself as I do not want to ruin his/her life. Perhaps it will be another 2-3 years before I get an actual dog :)
Apr 25, 2011
624 posts
212 upvotes
British Columbia
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:59 pm
You are correct and this will be my first dog; I have been doing some readings since 4 years ago (but not about this breed) in order to properly prepare myself as I do not want to ruin his/her life. Perhaps it will be another 2-3 years before I get an actual dog :)
I would strongly advise getting another breed as a first time dog owner. Even an experienced owner may not be ready for these types of dogs, they are quite different than many other breeds.

This breed does what it wants and has a very high prey drive and most do NOT do well with any kind of restraint... so I see their poor qualities frequently as I work in a veterinary office. I see a Shiba, I immediately don't trust it when handling.

This list is really spot on:
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shibainu.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2487 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the information; definitely need to do more reading. Perhaps I would just stick with Golden Retriever as it will be more compatible with kids.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
There are breed specific forums (just Google) that have questions and answers from owners of the dogs. There is a Shiba Inu forum. I would be shocked if there is not one for Golden Retrievers.

If your kids are young I would wait.

Dogs have temperaments ranging from mild to alpha - often right across a breed of dog. I do know a couple of Retrievers who are definitely not mild mannered. There has been so much in-breeding and genetic mucking about with pups that many "safe" breeds of old no longer fall into that category.

I do agree that a Shiba Inu pup is not for everyone - particularly a first time dog owner with kids. Personally they love me (we do not have one) but we do have a Spitz who is not the easiest dog in the world.

Re the prey drive, many dogs have super high prey drives - and owners had better have their feet firmly planted just in case. I know a woman with a Greyhound who is a couch potato at home but on the street when he sees "prey" he is off pulling her behind or she is on the ground.

We used to have Terriers - they have high prey drives, as does our Spitz. Alpha Terriers are also dogs who like to be in charge.

The good thing about our Spitz is that he is good with our vets and the groomer (and people that he knows and likes). They were surprised! There used to be a Spitz breed specific forum that was eventually closed down - many of the participants went to Facebook. However, I found the site extremely useful - many of the Spitz Moms and Dads had the same issues that we did/do.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2747 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Shiba Inu is a doge.
This, IMO, is the BEST breed of dog.

If you don't believe me, please google "doge"
Sep 19, 2013
715 posts
313 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've always heard Shibas are really cats stuck in a dog's body. They're mad cool tho and look really cute.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12904 posts
8277 upvotes
Toronto
Nfsryder wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 3:58 pm
I've always heard Shibas are really cats stuck in a dog's body. They're mad cool tho and look really cute.
my little brother wanted a Golden Retriever years ago as his first dog. My dad bought him a Shiba instead . Wrong choice. Standoffish, anti social, bit every dog she met even after lots $ spent on training/socialization,etc. . Finally she passed away . Now brother has a Golden. World of difference. Easy to train, great with other dogs, etc. Definitely do your research.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2487 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 2:13 pm
my little brother wanted a Golden Retriever years ago as his first dog. My dad bought him a Shiba instead . Wrong choice. Standoffish, anti social, bit every dog she met even after lots $ spent on training/socialization,etc. . Finally she passed away . Now brother has a Golden. World of difference. Easy to train, great with other dogs, etc. Definitely do your research.

Thank you for your input. As a side question do you guys purchase pet insurance? I know vet fees can be very costly. Let me know!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16390 posts
910 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Another breed you can look at is Eurasiers. They are re also from the Spitz family but have been bread to be a companion dog so are much easier to deal with than Shiba's.

They aren't too large either. They look big because of the fur but generally 40-50 pounds.
Jul 7, 2005
433 posts
61 upvotes
I love my doge lol I was a first time dog owner at the time zero experience and got a Shiba. Everyone and every website said "stay away from this breed" I love the breed and similar kinds, Akita, Kai, Shikoku all the nihon ken. Their personalities are similar to myself, she cracks me up all the time her little brain is spectacular.

Everything they say about the breed is probably true....but theres no way in hell your going to win the Shiba Inu lottary and have all those traits in your dog, I have perhaps half of them in mine. I used to read this blog Misanthropic Shiba she had a Husky & a Shiba imagine that, I think this might be the same person http://shibainus.ca/ the "shiba guide" in it is spot on.

You don't train this dog the "conventional way", don't treat them like any other dumb animal...DO NOT train the Caesar Milan way, no dog should be subjected to that level of trauma ROFL

In Japan the Shiba inu is a first time dog, they're all over the place.....i don't get why people say not a first time dog lol
So are people suppose to get a Lab first then 15+ yrs later get a Shiba? How does the dog ownership training wheels work?
Apr 25, 2011
624 posts
212 upvotes
British Columbia
waitin4BOOST wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 5:44 pm
In Japan the Shiba inu is a first time dog, they're all over the place.....i don't get why people say not a first time dog lol
So are people suppose to get a Lab first then 15+ yrs later get a Shiba? How does the dog ownership training wheels work?
People say they are not a first time dog because in most cases people have no experience with the breed or dogs in general and get a Shiba based on looks or because it is the "in" thing to get -- which are the last reasons to get a dog. I realise in some cultures this breed is often got as a "first time" dog but that doesn't mean it should be.

For people with no dog experience getting a dog that comes when it is called (which with any breed still takes a consistent approach), is not seen as aggressive/high prey driven, doesn't need quadruple the socialization at a young age, can be trusted around strangers/children/other animals, and wants to please is usually the best way to go. A more laid back and manageable approach. You learn from there if taking on a total 180 in personality is something you want to do, not jump right into a more difficult type of dog.

If someone wants Shiba personality traits (even if they only get half of them that is half too many for me) well then it might be the dog for them but most people don't know what they're getting into and are over their head from the get go, ending up with a poorly socialized and at least somewhat unmanageable dog.

In all dogs I do believe in individuality
because every dog is unique, I don't think anyone should go in expecting the "breed standard", especially when in some breeds their personalities can vary erratically. That said, I have found most Shiba to be fairly consistent with their predominant traits and those traits are frequently not easy to deal with in many situations.

I meet so many people with dogs, especially with the types of traits exhibited in a Shiba, where the owner wants their dog to be "more obedient" or "less aggressive" etc... it's like, why did you get this breed again? You can't train these traits away. It is essential to go in expecting every potential negative and make sure you want and/or can handle those traits in your dog.

Evaluate what you want in a dog. For example, my main points will always be: intelligent, obedient, easy to groom (no need for an expensive groomer but not a crazy shedder either), good with other animals, not a larger dog, fairly healthy breed. I have had all the opposites of this list (except a large dog) and know I don't want to deal with these issues if it can be helped.

Regarding Pet Insurnce, I rarely see it pay off. Some people see the peace of mind it brings as a value however. In a few instances it has helped with sudden unexpected expensive surgeries, but often after the deducatables and all the other years of paying they've done to get there it hasn't actually got them ahead. The companies are out to make money after all. I've heard of people denied coverage because their pet simply has too many problems despite that they've had coverage since before the problems began; or their dedutable gets so high due to a pets issues that the entire point of the insurance is defeated. I personally just hope for the best and try to have enough saved up so I can afford a surgery or expensive dianotic tests if necessary (and a trip to emergency is a lot of money!).