• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2017 6:43 am
Tags:
Jul 7, 2005
403 posts
49 upvotes
Karala wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 1:04 am
I meet so many people with dogs, especially with the types of traits exhibited in a Shiba, where the owner wants their dog to be "more obedient" or "less aggressive" etc... it's like, why did you get this breed again? You can't train these traits away. It is essential to go in expecting every potential negative and make sure you want and/or can handle those traits in your dog.
I like this, this is what I used when deciding to get a Shiba I researched on everything under the sun on how to handle an aggressive, territorial, resource guarding, non food motivated kinda dog, I thought these may be the worse traits ever; however, when I got her she was nervous, cautious and fearful something you would ever expected from a "free spirited, bold, canine sociopath".

On a side note... If this breed is not recommended for first time owner, wouldn't rescuing one be worse without previous knowledge of handling or quirks??
Having one myself I can't imagine someone rescuing and getting slapped in the face with little big dog, the scream and their stubbornness lol

Anyways, I believe the question Why a Shiba Inu? should've been asked lol and just checking on YouTube there are quite a bit of video's answering this, with their own varying reasons. I can say with my 4yr old Shiba: they are super healthy, intelligent, very clean, independent and a year round dog with the OMFG shedding.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2891 posts
422 upvotes
waitin4boost - The attributes you have listed for the Shiba Inu are the same for our double-coated, white Spitz. Except that the OMFG shedding needs to be said X6 when it comes to the Eskie. But at least he does not have short-hairs that catch in our feet. We used to have short-haired dogs so know all about that.
May 12, 2009
617 posts
118 upvotes
Haha, this "free spirited, bold, canine sociopath" totally describes my dog, a spitz-type.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2891 posts
422 upvotes
pimom wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 9:48 am
Haha, this "free spirited, bold, canine sociopath" totally describes my dog, a spitz-type.
Agreed! Good thing we love this type of dog.
Mar 15, 2003
618 posts
97 upvotes
I had a shiba back in the 90's before they were well known, definitely didn't know what I was getting into, lots of good information above so not going to repeat. Great dog in the house with the family, not so much outdoors with strangers. She lived for 18 years, next dog will probably be a lab.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel