• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2015 8:34 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 30, 2014
55 posts
40 upvotes
Manitoba
Inclemental wrote: Doesnt the new audi has shift lock? I had a 05 a6. Every time coming out from a car wash, i have to press the brake to disengage the shift lock in order to shift from neutral to drive. Same as my cousin's vw GTI. The pedal light on dash will tell u to press the brake.
Had to press brake to go to and from P. But not from N to D.
Jan 1, 2008
860 posts
139 upvotes
Blainville
I'm an hyper miller and i can tell you, never coast on neutral, it will yield higher fuel consumption. If you coast in gear you don't use any fuel, if you coast in neutral, you will burn fuel.

The only time you can save, is to put it in neutral while waiting at a red light.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
joejoem wrote: :facepalm:

most auto require you to step on the brake to shift from N back to D, this makes it very dangerous if something happens and you need to accelerate out of harm's way.
Nope, nope, nope.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If done properly you can save some fuel, at the risk of a ticket, and accident or death. Not worth it.
If you want to save gas learn to drive with economy in mind (fuel efficient driving), speed limit on the highway (energy consumption increases as a squared value of speed), accelerate briskly (not too slow or too fast), avoid routes with traffic, unsynchronized lights or many sharp turns.
As few engine starts as possible (your car can use up to 1L just to warm the engine to operating temperature, so also combine errands and don't spend too long in the store), avoid driving in winter, don't drive into headwinds, avoid use of A/C, drive mostly highway when possible, and stay on top of necessary maintenance (spark plugs, air filter, fluids).
There is more you can do but these are the basics, and you want to start with a fuel efficient car.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 30, 2014
55 posts
40 upvotes
Manitoba
shingor6 wrote: I'm an hyper miller and i can tell you, never coast on neutral, it will yield higher fuel consumption. If you coast in gear you don't use any fuel, if you coast in neutral, you will burn fuel.

The only time you can save, is to put it in neutral while waiting at a red light.
Actually most hypermilers will suggest coasting in neutral. Coasting in gear is using engine braking, it slows you down a lot faster than coasting in neutral, so you have to get back onto the gas faster. You generally don't want to use engine braking unless you actually want to slow down.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
kppanic wrote: Nope, nope, nope.
i wouldnt say most . but there is a percentage of german cars where this is true...i have dealt with virtuously every car out there and i can say this as fact..i know as some vw's had a bad brake light switch and would not let you shift from park,,or from neutral...this i have experienced in over 10 different vw's
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
gotrice111 wrote: you're straying off topic somewhat, but to address your point, are you actually saying you would rather use your engine to brake rather than your brakes(the things that were actually put on your car to stop the car)?
What would you rather wear down, your engine or your brakes?
What's more expensive? engine or brake pads/rotors?
...lol
Yes, many people use the general compression of an engine(without applying any gas) as a brake form. I presume the concept is fairly new to you.
Aug 25, 2011
314 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: ...lol
Yes, many people use the general compression of an engine(without applying any gas) as a brake form. I presume the concept is fairly new to you.
wow, you are really reaching there. nice try buddy.
I just find it hilarious that you are here advocating not using your brakes to stop, even though that's the only reason they were put on the car.
What's next? Are you going to tell ppl to cut a hole in the bottom of the cars and stop their cars with their feet like the flintstones? because using your brakes will wear them out, and that's a big no no.

LOL
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
gotrice111 wrote: wow, you are really reaching there. nice try buddy.
I just find it hilarious that you are here advocating not using your brakes to stop, even though that's the only reason they were put on the car.
What's next? Are you going to tell ppl to cut a hole in the bottom of the cars and stop their cars with their feet like the flintstones? because using your brakes will wear them out, and that's a big no no.
A good driver will take their foot off the accelerator pedal as it approaches a traffic light and let the vehicle speed slow enough before applying their brakes. I never contended not to use the brakes.Bud, I have been driving cars for more than 30 years including tractor trailers. If you would like to put your driving experience to test..just tell me where and let's see. :lol:
Aug 25, 2011
314 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: A good driver will take their foot off the accelerator pedal as it approaches a traffic light and let the vehicle speed slow enough before applying their brakes. I never contended not to use the brakes.Bud, I have been driving cars for more than 30 years including tractor trailers. If you would like to put your driving experience to test..just tell me where and let's see. :lol:
eldiablo wrote: :lol:

I thought so!!
Do you always have conversations with yourself to convince yourself that you won?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: You are transferring the momentum of the vehicle from the engine braking to your mechanical/hydraulic system. It will exacerbate in wear rate of your rotors/pads +shoes/drums. I seriously doubt that you would actually see any fuel savings compared to additional wear on the brake components.
.... I transfer the acceleration of my car through my mechanical/hydraulic system too. Maybe I'll stop accelerating (?). :P
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Akizuki wrote: shifting to neutral on an auto car should be fine. Manual cars always go from gear to neutral while in motion all the time

My parents do this on their auto car.
Huh? Explain what you are saying. If you are saying they pass through neutral when shifting, well, sort of, but the clutch is depressed so it is not exactly the same.
joejoem wrote: :facepalm:

in most cases, shifting into neutral actually cost you more fuel.
when you are in neutral, the engine pumps fuel to keep your car idling at 800~rpm
when you are coasting in gear, your car actually doesn't consume ANY gas at all

Facepalm because it is DANGEROUS to shift into neutral when you are moving, especially with an auto.
most auto require you to step on the brake to shift from N back to D, this makes it very dangerous if something happens and you need to accelerate out of harm's way.
None of what you say makes sense.
OilyBob wrote: To answer, on older cars, yes it saves fuel. On newer cars (anything newer than about 1990), it does not.
Please explain that to me. Why is there a 1990 cut off for saving fuel when in neutral? I don't think neutral and idles has changed since 1990.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Don't know why ppl keep thinking higher rpm means consuming fuel. Car is using the same amount of fuel as idling IF you don't depress the gas pedal. Has NOTHING to do with the RPM which is simply following the matching speed of the car when no fuel is delievered. You put it to N and rpm reduced simply because the engine has been disengaged from the wheel. You put it back to D and it will go up. RPM doesn't related to fuel saving IF the gas pedal is NOT depressed. My car has an instant gas consumption display. I got 2.0L/100km when I release the accelerator although the car still in gear.
However coasting at D does save you some braking distance (brake pad) as you are using the slower engine to slow down the wheeels hence engine braking (more efficient in manual).
I wouldn't recommend shifting to N for auto. You will save more gas by gradually accelerate/decelerate.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Avatar wrote: Don't know why ppl keep thinking higher rpm means consuming fuel. Car is using the same amount of fuel as idling IF you don't depress the gas pedal. Has NOTHING to do with the RPM which is simply following the matching speed of the car when no fuel is delievered. You put it to N and rpm reduced simply because the engine has been disengaged from the wheel. You put it back to D and it will go up. RPM doesn't related to fuel saving IF the gas pedal is NOT depressed. My car has an instant gas consumption display. I got 2.0L/100km when I release the accelerator although the car still in gear.
However coasting at D does save you some braking distance (brake pad) as you are using the slower engine to slow down the wheeeels hence engine braking (more efficient in manual).
I wouldn't recommend shifting to N for auto. You will save more gas by gradually accelerate/decelerate.
Higher Rpm does mean more gas consumed, put your car in neutral and see how many liters per hour are used at 3000rpm vs idle. Most of the fuel is used to spin the engine. That said like you mentioned in gear the car if designed should have a fuel cutoff since the engine is kept spinning by the road/tires.

This is why you will get much better mileage at any speed in a higher gear then a lower one, test it out
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
gotrice111 wrote: Do you always have conversations with yourself to convince yourself that you won?
Only when the other side is spewing BS.
Aug 25, 2011
314 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Only when the other side is spewing BS.
That mean's a lot, coming from someone who hasn't contributed anything meaningful to this thread.
It's weird. You say you have 30 years of driving experience but I feel like I'm arguing with a teenager here.
LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
The savings are so minuscule, if any...why bother when driving an auto.
Want to go in and out of neutral, get a manual car.