• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 5:27 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2009
142 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

SHINGLES VACCINE

I had shingles 2 or 3 years ago. Didn't know I could have had a vaccine to prevent shingles. My doctor told me after that episode there is a waiting period of 2 years after which I can get a vaccine. I've read one can wait 1 year? Since my GP works at a clinic, patients are expected to get everything they need at the clinic. Which means clinic controls prices, for things not covered. That includes shingles vaccine. So I started asking around. Went to Guardian Pharmacy, the cost is $224.00, visited Shoppers Drug Mart, $420.00, Rexall was $214.00. I've been told and have read the vaccine is over $200.00. What surprised me is the price difference. How can one pharmacy charge double? Are all pharmacies providing same vaccine?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1532 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Thank you for creating this thread! I had no idea that different places had different prices for vaccines. Does anyone know Costco pharmacies offers vaccine service?
[OP]
May 12, 2009
142 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Becks Now that you've mentioned Costco, never thought of them and I'm a member. Thanks, I'll look into that. You are right about this thread, It's important information and people should know about it. The same Shoppers pharmacy, when I went to get my flu vaccine in mid October, I was asked by a pharmacist to send complimentary comment about the service there. Same individual told me about cost of shingles vaccine! No way will I refer anyone to pay over $400.00 for a shingles vaccine at Shoppers, when people can get it for half price elsewhere.
Aug 29, 2011
70 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Just wondering if Shoppers is offering the latest shingles vaccine that just came out that is more effective then the older version and costs more. Also I assume you are under 65 otherwise it is free in Ontario between ages 65 and 70.
The Duke
[OP]
May 12, 2009
142 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
garytheduke I had no idea it's free. I'm 75, that's not bad. Regarding the vaccine, I wondered about the type of vaccine available. If it is the same in other pharmacies. Worth looking into it! Thank you for it bringing to my attention.