Health & Wellness

Shingles vaccine

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2024 12:16 pm
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth[/ I love them too. We could learn a thing or two from them. Loving, gentle, what more can you ask!
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Something that surprised me was when my son had shingles 2 years ago. Mild case, but he was 38 years old. It kind of struck fear in me. I was 73 when I had it and wasn't bad at all. it concerns me when a young man has it at such young age.
Regarding price of shingles vaccine. When I inquired about price I went to smaller pharmacies and all of them had price in similar range. Shoppers Drug Mart was most expensive. I mean is there anybody bigger?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
serbianbelle wrote: Regarding price of shingles vaccine. When I inquired about price I went to smaller pharmacies and all of them had price in similar range. Shoppers Drug Mart was most expensive. I mean is there anybody bigger?
Large companies arent the best companies. They are profit mongerers. Everything at SDM is priced 25-35% higher than everybody else. Not a shocker. I mean look at their brick and mortar stores, the rent paid, all their employees, labor costs, rising min. wage expense, etc. They wont be cheaper than a mom n pop which are primarily family run. Small pharms are giving it away at cost plus $20-30 dollars profit whereas SDM wants a margin of 40-50%. Big difference.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth What's even worse SDM is everywhere. I avoid going to SDM, Had my flu vaccine there, otherwise I don't go or shop at Shoppers. Who would have thought monopoly can become annoying!
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t Thank you, I read the articles. Very informative. Still worry about my son. I've only known of people over 50 who've had shingles. While we all carry the virus, what triggers the attack?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
serbianbelle wrote: gh05t Thank you, I read the articles. Very informative. Still worry about my son. I've only known of people over 50 who've had shingles. While we all carry the virus, what triggers the attack?
Looks like the weakening of the immune system as one gets older as already mentioned by aznnorth.
This may be due to many things including other illnesses that tax the immune system leaving one vulnerable to secondary infections.
Some people may not have developed a strong enough response to the herpes virus that cause chicken pox as well.
It may not have therefore been eradicated to the degree that it might have in others.
In my case I had to use both an antibiotic and an antiviral to deal with mine.
Not sure if this is a good thing in that my immune system did not fully fight it off on it's own.
The other is how much of the dormant virus was left in your system.
At the time I was also a new immigrant, was in University and experiencing depression due to family problems at the time.
So my immune system was not it's best at the time though I was younger.
Genetics may play it's role as it does in many illnesses and diseases. sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious.
One of the studies I quoted mentioned only a small sample of shingles occurrence between 50 and 60 years of age compared to above 60.
It does not mean that people in their 50's cannot get it, but from an economic standpoint, because of the high costs of the vaccine, it's better to get it from 60 onwards as risk increases if one is economically challenged to do so in their 50's.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
Surprising that no healthcare professionals have chimed in here, considering how many there are on RFD.

Regarding vaccine pricing, keep in mind that Zostavax II is a 1-dose vaccine, whereas Shingrix is a 2-dose. So total cost of immunization with Zostavax II will be around $200-220, and with Shingrix it will be $320-330. Is the extra cost justified, considering that Shingrix has been shown to be more effective? I think yes. Also, seeing how many people get shingles way before they hit 65, it's definitely not a good idea to wait until you can get it for free (unless you absolutely cannot afford it).

SDM as a general rule will have the highest pricing for everything. A lot of people don't realize this. Find a small independent pharmacy and support them. You'll get better prices and service.
May 12, 2009
409 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
alex_d10 Thank you, I avoid going to SDM. They monopolize the market any way they can! Annoying, to say the least.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
alex_d10 wrote: Surprising that no healthcare professionals have chimed in here, considering how many there are on RFD.

Regarding vaccine pricing, keep in mind that Zostavax II is a 1-dose vaccine, whereas Shingrix is a 2-dose. So total cost of immunization with Zostavax II will be around $200-220, and with Shingrix it will be $320-330. Is the extra cost justified, considering that Shingrix has been shown to be more effective? I think yes. Also, seeing how many people get shingles way before they hit 65, it's definitely not a good idea to wait until you can get it for free (unless you absolutely cannot afford it).
My wife and I got Zostavax less than 5 years ago. A friend of ours got a severe case of shingles last year, and after seeing the impact on her life, I would like to get Shingrix now since it seems to offer much better protection for people of my age. But I don't know if taking Zostavax disqualifies me from taking Shingrix now. I have gone through the Glaxo website but this is not mentioned, and my doctor doesn't know much about Shingrix yet.

Anybody heard anything about this?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
alex_d10 wrote: SDM as a general rule will have the highest pricing for everything. A lot of people don't realize this. Find a small independent pharmacy and support them. You'll get better prices and service.
Yes, I hate Shoppers for that reason. I keep getting nailed at SDM for stuff at outrageous prices when we are sick and don't have time to shop around. They make you pay high prices and then want you to study their encyclopedic small-print flyer for minor discounts, and to chase points. That is always the flyer I chuck first on flyer day. Who has time for that? I do find that SDM has a good pharmacy, at least the one close to me does. But I am on the ODB, otherwise I would be at Costco for my scrips. I don't find small pharmacies or Rexall to have better prices overall.

If I need a high price item I go to Costco and they can often order it for me at a lower price. I also shop there if I can use a large size, like for daily aspirin or supplements. I use eye drops that cost $45 at SDM that Costco will order for $32. I stock up on other stuff at Target or Walmart in the US, like ACT mouthwash, those breathing strips for your nose, generic Imodium and Zantac, and hand wash. For eau de cologne we went to Amazon last week. And I have convinced my dentist to sell me 12-packs of his logo'd GUM toothbrushes for $13.50 a pop when I do my cleaning at his office, which SDM would sell for say, $3.99 each.

So I am getting SDM out of my life as much as possible.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: My wife and I got Zostavax less than 5 years ago. A friend of ours got a severe case of shingles last year, and after seeing the impact on her life, I would like to get Shingrix now since it seems to offer much better protection for people of my age. But I don't know if taking Zostavax disqualifies me from taking Shingrix now. I have gone through the Glaxo website but this is not mentioned, and my doctor doesn't know much about Shingrix yet.

Anybody heard anything about this?
Having Zostavax does not disqualify you from getting Shingrix. Whether you should get it or not depends on your specific health situation and judging the cost vs. the potential benefit. Your pharmacist is the best person to discuss this with.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
2019 update:

Zostavax is the vaccine covered by OHIP in Ontario and is a one shot treatment. Shingrix is a newer two shot vaccine and is much more effective. It is bought by the patient so prices vary by pharmacy and province. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/shin ... -1.5259495

Also, if you don't know that you've ever had chickenpox, you can get a blood test to check that. There is no point in getting vaccinated for shingles if you've never had chicken pox.

Haven't yet checked the latest prices of Shingrix but was told it's now $150 - $200 for the two shots (buy at pharmacy and have doctor/nurse do the injections).

UPDATE: Costco (Etobicoke) Shingrix $142.45 per dose for vaccine only. Additional charge for them to administer.
Shoppers Drug Mart $158 per dose. Additional charge for them to administer.
Walmart $154 per dose.
Last edited by Jimbobs on Sep 19th, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
The $150 to $200 you are quoting is per shot not total since 2 are required for shingrix. And even Costco and family doctors charge to give the injection since OHIP doesn't cover it. Last hear Costco was charging around $210 plus the pharmacist injection fee. You need to wait between 3 and 6 months for the 2nd injection if I remember correctly.
Last edited by George613 on Sep 18th, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
George613 wrote: The $150 to $200 you are quoting is per shot not total since 2 are required for shingrix. And even Costco and family doctors charge to give the injectuin since OHIP doesn't cover it. Last hear Costco was charging around $210 plus the pharmacist injection fee. You need to wait between 3 and 6 months for the 2nd injection if I remember correctly.
Some group health plans cover Shingrix. You need to call Group Health insurance Co to confirm as some plans say they don't cover vaccines in writing but if you call they will say they will. Mine covered Shingrix. It's a minimum 2 mo wait time (maximum is 6 mos) between shots.

If you've had shingles in the past, I think they say you need to wait a year before you can have the Shingrix shot.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: 2019 update:

Zostavax is the vaccine covered by OHIP in Ontario and is a one shot treatment.
For adults aged 65 to 70 only. Not a great policy since a lot of people get their initial shingles episode in their 50's...

Most private plans do cover Shingrix. So if you have coverage, you may not even have to go to Costco, line up for 45 min to drop off, and another 60 min to pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Marubozu wrote: For adults aged 65 to 70 only. Not a great policy since a lot of people get their initial shingles episode in their 50's...
Yes. I should have stated that in my post.
Marubozu wrote: Most private plans do cover Shingrix. So if you have coverage, you may not even have to go to Costco, line up for 45 min to drop off, and another 60 min to pick up.
Personally, I have never experienced any greater delay at Costco than at any other pharmacy. A few minutes at busy times but no more than that. Plus, there is plenty to do while waiting for pickup in contrast to most other pharmacies :)
Last edited by Jimbobs on Sep 19th, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)