• Feb 23rd, 2018 2:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7646 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 7:10 pm
The virus that causes chicken pox is the same virus that causes shingles - varicella zoster virus. Hence, where the name zostervax vaccine comes from (ding, ding, ding!!). When you are a child your immunity is at it's weakest and therefore this virus is most likely to break out. However, as you age your immunity breaks down around middle age aka 50. That's why older peeps are more susceptible to diseases, virus, and other medical conditions. Thus, this virus creeps its ugly head as shingles (basically the adult form of chicken pox). The virus tends to affect nerves which is why you often feel the effects of shingles as initially sharp piercing pain at nerve endings. Often sharp throbbing headaches around the parietal lobe nerve endings and sometimes in the front lob nerve endings of the head. Over the years as medical tech improved, more and more kids received vaccine shots to prevent chicken pox as children resulting in less and less kids getting chicken pox as kids. This creates a 2 pronged effect. When you dont get chicken pox as a child the probability of getting shingles as an adult is greater. Likewise, if you do get chicken pox as a kid the likehood to get shingles as an adult is less. This is why shingles cases has increased over recent years. When kids who never had chicken pox as a child get shingles, the cases are much greater in number as adults. This explains why stats are now 1 in 2 or 50% get shingles as an adult.
This is why parents have chicken pox parties. lol
Seems the virus gets totally eradicated when even the weaker immune system of the child develops and counteracts it.
when one gets chicken pox later into adulthood, the complications and outbreaks seem more severe and greater chance on not totally eradicating the virus.
The remaining live virus then lodges itself in the base of the spine where it remains dormant for years before it could potentially rare it's ugly face again later in life as shingles.
Virus have no brain but yet are so smart.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11050 posts
1296 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gh05t wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 7:18 pm
This is why parents have chicken pox parties. lol
Seems the virus gets totally eradicated when even the weaker immune system of the child develops and counteracts it.
when one gets chicken pox later into adulthood, the complications and outbreaks seem more severe and greater chance on not totally eradicating the virus.
The remaining live virus then lodges itself in the base of the spine where it remains dormant for years before it could potentially rare it's ugly face again later in life as shingles.
Virus have no brain but yet are so smart.
Correct.. and what kept the virus dormant is immunity. When your body is strong or immunity is high, the virus remains inactive. When your immunity is low the chance of the virus becoming active is greater triggering break-outs which explains why from the time you eradicate the chicken pox as a child to the time you get shingles as an adult, it is immunity of the body aka anti-bodies which kept the virus from appearing. As immunity decreases over time the virus is more likely to activate.
Last edited by aznnorth on Jan 31st, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
You mentioned sores in the mouth. I forgot, I used to get those too. If you don't mind I love the picture of the dog. Yours?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11050 posts
1296 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Update: Cost of vaccines. Lowest I could find is $200 at a mom n pop pharmacy. Vaccine only covered under OHIP between 65-70. So if you're over 70 or under 65 you pay out of pocket. *welp*
Last edited by aznnorth on Feb 2nd, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11050 posts
1296 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
serbianbelle wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 8:27 pm
You mentioned sores in the mouth. I forgot, I used to get those too. If you don't mind I love the picture of the dog. Yours?
Yes, I've had 2 golden retrievers. One present and other as a child. Best dog breed imo.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth[/ I love them too. We could learn a thing or two from them. Loving, gentle, what more can you ask!
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Something that surprised me was when my son had shingles 2 years ago. Mild case, but he was 38 years old. It kind of struck fear in me. I was 73 when I had it and wasn't bad at all. it concerns me when a young man has it at such young age.
Regarding price of shingles vaccine. When I inquired about price I went to smaller pharmacies and all of them had price in similar range. Shoppers Drug Mart was most expensive. I mean is there anybody bigger?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11050 posts
1296 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
serbianbelle wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 11:32 am
Regarding price of shingles vaccine. When I inquired about price I went to smaller pharmacies and all of them had price in similar range. Shoppers Drug Mart was most expensive. I mean is there anybody bigger?
Large companies arent the best companies. They are profit mongerers. Everything at SDM is priced 25-35% higher than everybody else. Not a shocker. I mean look at their brick and mortar stores, the rent paid, all their employees, labor costs, rising min. wage expense, etc. They wont be cheaper than a mom n pop which are primarily family run. Small pharms are giving it away at cost plus $20-30 dollars profit whereas SDM wants a margin of 40-50%. Big difference.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth What's even worse SDM is everywhere. I avoid going to SDM, Had my flu vaccine there, otherwise I don't go or shop at Shoppers. Who would have thought monopoly can become annoying!
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t Thank you, I read the articles. Very informative. Still worry about my son. I've only known of people over 50 who've had shingles. While we all carry the virus, what triggers the attack?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7646 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
serbianbelle wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 10:34 am
gh05t Thank you, I read the articles. Very informative. Still worry about my son. I've only known of people over 50 who've had shingles. While we all carry the virus, what triggers the attack?
Looks like the weakening of the immune system as one gets older as already mentioned by aznnorth.
This may be due to many things including other illnesses that tax the immune system leaving one vulnerable to secondary infections.
Some people may not have developed a strong enough response to the herpes virus that cause chicken pox as well.
It may not have therefore been eradicated to the degree that it might have in others.
In my case I had to use both an antibiotic and an antiviral to deal with mine.
Not sure if this is a good thing in that my immune system did not fully fight it off on it's own.
The other is how much of the dormant virus was left in your system.
At the time I was also a new immigrant, was in University and experiencing depression due to family problems at the time.
So my immune system was not it's best at the time though I was younger.
Genetics may play it's role as it does in many illnesses and diseases. sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious.
One of the studies I quoted mentioned only a small sample of shingles occurrence between 50 and 60 years of age compared to above 60.
It does not mean that people in their 50's cannot get it, but from an economic standpoint, because of the high costs of the vaccine, it's better to get it from 60 onwards as risk increases if one is economically challenged to do so in their 50's.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1353 posts
292 upvotes
Surprising that no healthcare professionals have chimed in here, considering how many there are on RFD.

Regarding vaccine pricing, keep in mind that Zostavax II is a 1-dose vaccine, whereas Shingrix is a 2-dose. So total cost of immunization with Zostavax II will be around $200-220, and with Shingrix it will be $320-330. Is the extra cost justified, considering that Shingrix has been shown to be more effective? I think yes. Also, seeing how many people get shingles way before they hit 65, it's definitely not a good idea to wait until you can get it for free (unless you absolutely cannot afford it).

SDM as a general rule will have the highest pricing for everything. A lot of people don't realize this. Find a small independent pharmacy and support them. You'll get better prices and service.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
203 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
alex_d10 Thank you, I avoid going to SDM. They monopolize the market any way they can! Annoying, to say the least.