• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 2:16 pm
Oct 23, 2017
345 posts
155 upvotes
GTA West
alex_d10 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:28 am
Surprising that no healthcare professionals have chimed in here, considering how many there are on RFD.

Regarding vaccine pricing, keep in mind that Zostavax II is a 1-dose vaccine, whereas Shingrix is a 2-dose. So total cost of immunization with Zostavax II will be around $200-220, and with Shingrix it will be $320-330. Is the extra cost justified, considering that Shingrix has been shown to be more effective? I think yes. Also, seeing how many people get shingles way before they hit 65, it's definitely not a good idea to wait until you can get it for free (unless you absolutely cannot afford it).
My wife and I got Zostavax less than 5 years ago. A friend of ours got a severe case of shingles last year, and after seeing the impact on her life, I would like to get Shingrix now since it seems to offer much better protection for people of my age. But I don't know if taking Zostavax disqualifies me from taking Shingrix now. I have gone through the Glaxo website but this is not mentioned, and my doctor doesn't know much about Shingrix yet.

Anybody heard anything about this?
Oct 23, 2017
345 posts
155 upvotes
GTA West
alex_d10 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:28 am
SDM as a general rule will have the highest pricing for everything. A lot of people don't realize this. Find a small independent pharmacy and support them. You'll get better prices and service.
Yes, I hate Shoppers for that reason. I keep getting nailed at SDM for stuff at outrageous prices when we are sick and don't have time to shop around. They make you pay high prices and then want you to study their encyclopedic small-print flyer for minor discounts, and to chase points. That is always the flyer I chuck first on flyer day. Who has time for that? I do find that SDM has a good pharmacy, at least the one close to me does. But I am on the ODB, otherwise I would be at Costco for my scrips. I don't find small pharmacies or Rexall to have better prices overall.

If I need a high price item I go to Costco and they can often order it for me at a lower price. I also shop there if I can use a large size, like for daily aspirin or supplements. I use eye drops that cost $45 at SDM that Costco will order for $32. I stock up on other stuff at Target or Walmart in the US, like ACT mouthwash, those breathing strips for your nose, generic Imodium and Zantac, and hand wash. For eau de cologne we went to Amazon last week. And I have convinced my dentist to sell me 12-packs of his logo'd GUM toothbrushes for $13.50 a pop when I do my cleaning at his office, which SDM would sell for say, $3.99 each.

So I am getting SDM out of my life as much as possible.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1291 posts
257 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:33 pm
My wife and I got Zostavax less than 5 years ago. A friend of ours got a severe case of shingles last year, and after seeing the impact on her life, I would like to get Shingrix now since it seems to offer much better protection for people of my age. But I don't know if taking Zostavax disqualifies me from taking Shingrix now. I have gone through the Glaxo website but this is not mentioned, and my doctor doesn't know much about Shingrix yet.

Anybody heard anything about this?
Having Zostavax does not disqualify you from getting Shingrix. Whether you should get it or not depends on your specific health situation and judging the cost vs. the potential benefit. Your pharmacist is the best person to discuss this with.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11475 posts
1636 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Saw a Shingrix commercial on tv for the first time.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.