Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1472 posts
617 upvotes
letmesee wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 4:13 pm
There are a couple of things I want to buy online but they only ship within U.S.

I might be travelling to the States soon, and was wondering if I can have them ship to the hotel address and I pick it up from there.

Has anyone tried that? If so, how do I proceed with this? Who should I address the package to?

Thanks!!!!
I have done this with Amazon the last 2 times we went to Florida and stayed at Disney. A lot of people do this with Amazon, the pile of amazon boxes was crazy last time they had to fill 2 of there trucks to take it away.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15911 posts
8225 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Marzipan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 11:11 am
It is not only the hotel that decides. As Bylo noted just above, credit card companies and vendors do not ship to other than the associated credit card address unless identity checks safeguard against fraud.
Pro tip: We stay at a small lodge in the US 2 or 3 times a year. I've got their address on my TD US$ Visa as a secondary address. (The lodge owners are aware of this and were happy to give their blessing.) This lets me use this Visa on some US sites that require a US Visa card and a US address, including amazon.com. I don't know if this would work with a chain hotel like Hilton or Marriott but it's worth a try.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa
[QUOTE]I always ship stuff to US hotels when I travel... Never had an issue. Can't believe some would charge a fee. I usually have a huge stack of boxes waiting for me.[/QUOTE]

+1

On the shipping address label I usually address it like this:
<myname> (<date> guest)
Hotel Name
Address 2
City,State
Hotel phone number

note that I specifically put the date right after my name in case the line is too long and gets cut off (happened once)

I've probably done it about a two dozen times, and never been charged in various hotels. The only time they said they would charge me was in Las Vegas but they never charged me when I picked it up
Usually I try to time it so it arrives at least 3 days before hand. Have done it in major 3-4 star grade hotels

Amazon.com works best for this, because you can specify any shipping address.

I do have a RBC US issued credit card too in case the vendor needs to have a US billing address and/or US credit card.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1703 posts
1159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I do this all the time. No issue at all.
My biggest order was 8 boxes, shipped to hotel and they have no issue.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14084 posts
4040 upvotes
Here 'n There
Marzipan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 11:11 am
It is not only the hotel that decides. As Bylo noted just above, credit card companies and vendors do not ship to other than the associated credit card address unless identity checks safeguard against fraud.
Um, yeah, but first you ask the hotel, because that the simplest and easiest and takes 1 minute to find out. If they say no then that's your answer. If the say yes, then and only then do you go to the next step, which is to order and see if that goes through.

Why in the world would you try to put an order through on a website and then when you click and it goes through you then find out that the hotel won't accept it? That's bum-backwards and makes zero-sense.

Anyway, I have ordered many things to different hotels in the US. I have yet to have any hotel decline or credit card company, but it probably does happen the rare time. I have my boxes addressed similar to warpdrive above. Also, if there is a problem with the credit card company you can always call to ask them if they could let the order go if it gets stopped by fraud detection.
Jan 25, 2008
59 posts
9 upvotes
Just did this a few weeks ago in Anaheim. Checked with the hotel and good to go. On one of my orders I had to call my CC company to temporarily change my billing Address to the U.S...was pretty easy though.