Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipment coming from China: TNT vs. EMS/DHL/FedEx/UPS?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2016 11:16 am
Tags:
None
Jul 5, 2006
541 posts
1 upvote

Shipment coming from China: TNT vs. EMS/DHL/FedEx/UPS?

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with packages coming in from China? I have a supplier whom said they would use DHL, but I find, at least the Canadian sector of DHL to be horrendous! So I asked for alternatives, and they said they could use TNT but not EMS.

Has anyone ever had any experience with TNT before? What were your experiences with the duties/brokerage fee's? I typically use EMS to avoid any trouble with customs taxes and would rather not bother reporting it as I run an uber small business that is student managed.

Is TNT good with duties/brokerage fee's? Are shipping times reliable? I'm a bit lost as to how the service operates, as I've never seen any TNT facilities in Canada. Would this be further delivered through Canada Post and act as an Express package coming from abroad similar to EMS deliveries?

Regards,
Danny
22 replies
Jul 27, 2005
344 posts
Ottawa, ON
DHL is quite fast for international shipment. Takes only 4 days from major China city to Canada. Once it arrives Canada, you can track it on the DHL Canada web site. Local DHL ground within Canada is horrible though, but you can trust them on international shipment.

EMS is not bad, you can track the package on Canada Post web site, and the tracking is quite thorough. But EMS rate is about the same as DHL rate, and if you ship heavy stuff, DHL might even be cheaper.

We had only sent TNT package to China but not the reverse way, so no comments. TNT has trucks in Canada, and they have pickup service too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5554 posts
70 upvotes
DHL is really fast from China to Toronto. Atleast for me. Took four days, shipped on a Thursday and arrived on Monday.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2006
541 posts
1 upvote
I wasn't actually aware TNT existed in Canada. I've never seen their trucks anywhere whatsoever, so it makes me wonder what kinds of duties they would charge compared to DHL.

I hate DHL Canada and that is why I am looking at all the possible options I can. I have had nightmares with them with my last parcel, so I'm taking a keen eye on other couriers if possible..

But something about TNT just rubs me the wrong way (not in a perverse way).. I've been researching them and while cheap, it seems it's the choice to be for scammers, but that could be just coincidence more than anything.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3442 posts
99 upvotes
I am hoping you didn't have a nightmare due to the brokerage fees/customs. I say this because, it really depends on how it was declared. An example on how you could save money is if you were to send it to a company name, even if that company doesn't exist, that alone will save you 8%. Using a proper harmonization code when declaring as well can help, don't mark it as a gift... the agents aren't that stupid.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2006
541 posts
1 upvote
No it is not because of the duties and customs.

It's the customer service involved and my shipment being half opened when received. Apparently they tried to make 3 delivery attempts. One of which, I was actually home and watching constantly with my blinds being opened. The other 2 days, I was monitoring my drive-way for footprints.. Suspicion or conspiracy? No way I'd say, since I was looking pretty much the entire delivery operation hours and was in the living room. Not to mention there wasn't a single waybill notice left on my door!

Furthermore, I called in 3 times to notify them I would just pick it up from their facility and the fact that it never worked! I was initially told it'd take 1 business day.. Next business day I called and said I had previously called it too late. Weekend approaches and no delivery attempt or call back saying my parcel is ready was pickup. Tuesday comes around and I was just lucky my girlfriend was at home.

So it's apparent communication is a huge issue with DHL Canada. I also left my phone number about 4 times for ETA traces and nobody got back to me. Furthermore, my parcel was half opened at the bottom and I was missing 3 items.. I filed the claim right when I got back, and the likelihood of it, now a month after being processed seems rather slim.

My experience with DHL Canada has been horrible. And that's why if I could, I would never use them again. Paid $200 for an Express shipment that all in all, took 9 business days to receive.
Dec 10, 2007
138 posts
Calgary
duty would be the same no matter who carries it into the country. duty rates are set by the Govt, not the carrier.

TNT is pretty good. DHL is very good, except if the package is lost, then they are terrible as they are so big and their customer service staff are useless.

EMS is probably cheapest, it will be delivered by Purolator or Canada Post on arrival to Canada.

I would recommend FDX, but you will pay a premium.
Dec 3, 2006
22 posts
Markham, ON
mr_dimsum wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 11:38 pm
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with packages coming in from China? I have a supplier whom said they would use DHL, but I find, at least the Canadian sector of DHL to be horrendous! So I asked for alternatives, and they said they could use TNT but not EMS.

Has anyone ever had any experience with TNT before? What were your experiences with the duties/brokerage fee's? I typically use EMS to avoid any trouble with customs taxes and would rather not bother reporting it as I run an uber small business that is student managed.

Is TNT good with duties/brokerage fee's? Are shipping times reliable? I'm a bit lost as to how the service operates, as I've never seen any TNT facilities in Canada. Would this be further delivered through Canada Post and act as an Express package coming from abroad similar to EMS deliveries?

Regards,
Danny
Hi, try this logistics company, my friend use it for goods from hong kong and china.
http://www.baltrans.com/
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2096 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto West
I used TNT Solely with an old business i ran. They was quick and never had any issues. The boxes could have been handled better. But the shipping was fast and never any customs issues.

They did although once leave $10K+ of merchandise at a shipping door.. no signature.. just dropped it off and left.

I wasn't very pleased with that.

I use DHL now.
Apr 14, 2006
62 posts
talk to your supplier in China see how UPS works ..

my gf runs her business with UPS, it gives no trouble at all . .very fast shipping, imo, better customs issues comparing with DHL. plus, she had higher chances to declear items using DHL.

tho the price would be slightly higher
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3442 posts
99 upvotes
what are you importing? Send me a PM if you don't want to say publicly.
wrote:No it is not because of the duties and customs.

It's the customer service involved and my shipment being half opened when received. Apparently they tried to make 3 delivery attempts. One of which, I was actually home and watching constantly with my blinds being opened. The other 2 days, I was monitoring my drive-way for footprints.. Suspicion or conspiracy? No way I'd say, since I was looking pretty much the entire delivery operation hours and was in the living room. Not to mention there wasn't a single waybill notice left on my door!

Furthermore, I called in 3 times to notify them I would just pick it up from their facility and the fact that it never worked! I was initially told it'd take 1 business day.. Next business day I called and said I had previously called it too late. Weekend approaches and no delivery attempt or call back saying my parcel is ready was pickup. Tuesday comes around and I was just lucky my girlfriend was at home.

My experience with DHL Canada has been horrible. And that's why if I could, I would never use them again. Paid $200 for an Express shipment that all in all, took 9 business days to receive.
Couple points, I have had excellent service with DHL, they've never really gone out of there way to give me a hard time and always seemed friendly.

Other thing is, if it took 9 days to ship to you, not including the attempts, etc., you can get a refund.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
I like UPS or FedEx best, with their inhouse brokerage services.
EMS is slower (compared to Express from other couriers) & most expensive. Use EMS only if you have to. All courier shipments are now checked by Chinese Customs so couriers will not accept certain products.
Feb 26, 2008
2 posts
usa
I ususally use TNT express from china, it is faster than others, i have ever used EMS, I got my package after one month.so long time. Don't use ems if you want to get your package earlier. :)
Apr 22, 2008
4 posts
Toronto
TNT is bad, I got a package from China and it was sample. 8 months later I received a bill from TNT, charged me $27.68 for brokage fee. Called them, they said that the way it's...that make me really upset. :mad:
Feb 18, 2008
4 posts
Don't ever use DHL or TNT at least for international shipping. AND DO NOT EVER USE LOGISTICS. They charge brokerage fees, to me it's a simple rip-off. I once received a gift key ring from China that worthes $5. Half year later received a bill from them for $27 for brokerage fee!! I called them told them it was a gift, the customer service wasn't friendly at all, said even if it was a gift I had to claim it to them through a process that along will cost me $30. After all, they just said "suck it up". I would never ever use them again in my life time and I'm telling everyone that I know not to use them. The way they treat their customers is horrible.
× < >