Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipment coming from China: TNT vs. EMS/DHL/FedEx/UPS?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2016 11:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37801 posts
797 upvotes
Richmond Hill
networkup wrote:
Apr 12th, 2009 10:35 am
Don't ever use DHL or TNT at least for international shipping. AND DO NOT EVER USE LOGISTICS. They charge brokerage fees, to me it's a simple rip-off. I once received a gift key ring from China that worthes $5. Half year later received a bill from them for $27 for brokerage fee!! I called them told them it was a gift, the customer service wasn't friendly at all, said even if it was a gift I had to claim it to them through a process that along will cost me $30. After all, they just said "suck it up". I would never ever use them again in my life time and I'm telling everyone that I know not to use them. The way they treat their customers is horrible.
No logistics? How do you get your products from one end of the world to another then?
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1273 posts
144 upvotes
Nepean
I'm looking to import 80kg of textiles into Canada from abroad. I'm dragging this up from the depths because there didn't seem to be a clear consensus here two years ago and I'd like to hear from people who have used the services recently, who might be able to comment on changes in business practices or whatnot.

This thread in summary:
It seems like UPS is **** because of their broker fees. EMS is reported to be slow. TNT is fast but some people had bad experiences. DHL is up in the air.

Is there one shipping service that will take care of the duties and tariffs involved in importing and present me with the bill later? As an aside, I looked it up on CBSA and the tariff on most textiles is something like 17%. :(

And what is this business about shipping to a company name to save 8%. I have a company website, but I haven't formally registered with Ontario yet, since I haven't engaged in any economic activity as a business (yet).
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1517 posts
18 upvotes
easterclause wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 4:42 am
I'm looking to import 80kg of textiles into Canada from abroad. I'm dragging this up from the depths because there didn't seem to be a clear consensus here two years ago and I'd like to hear from people who have used the services recently, who might be able to comment on changes in business practices or whatnot.

This thread in summary:
It seems like UPS is **** because of their broker fees. EMS is reported to be slow. TNT is fast but some people had bad experiences. DHL is up in the air.

Is there one shipping service that will take care of the duties and tariffs involved in importing and present me with the bill later? As an aside, I looked it up on CBSA and the tariff on most textiles is something like 17%. :(

And what is this business about shipping to a company name to save 8%. I have a company website, but I haven't formally registered with Ontario yet, since I haven't engaged in any economic activity as a business (yet).

UPS doesnt offer ground shipping from China to Canada thus you dont pay brokerage fee's. UPS saver takes care of brokerage fee's. DHL is by far the best courier i have ever used. I have never had problems with UPS either but for some reason I like DHL better. DHL is not the best when you use them on your import account - their processes on that are a bit weird and confusing. DHL charges $7 for their brokerage work.

Forget the 8%, everyone pays 13% from July 1st, 2010 unless your goods are under NAFTA agreement.

If you register with DHL or UPS for an import account and use that account to import goods you will be presented with a bill later. If shipper uses his export account then you are presented with Collect On Delivery notice and you have to pay all your fee's to get the package. I'm talking about shipping from China here so these rules do not necessarily apply to shipments from USA
Nov 23, 2010
13 posts
Canada
easterclause wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 4:42 am

This thread in summary:

so let me understand, you want a shipping company to pay the duty and taxes for you and then wait to collect, but you dont want to pay them (too much) for a brokerage fee?

how are they supposed to be in business long enough to help the global economy when their clients expect them to use their cash flow for nothing?

as for which company to use, shipping isnt magic. every company (whether its an integrator like UPS or DHL) or a forwarder (there are litterally thousands) use the same pricinicples. at 80kg, you are probably better off not using an integrator, depending on the shipping terms you negotiated. from China, I would suggest buying FOB Shanghai (or whatever primary city is closest). this means the company you are buying from will need to bring it your designated shipping company at the named place and then you control how the freight gets to you, but on a air(port) to air(port) basis. its more ala cart if you will, but you have more options, more control and most likely cheaper, however its not as easy as just calling FDX or DHL.

feel free to PM me if you need more direct help.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
my vote goes to DHL but rarely have issues with the customer service.
Nov 23, 2010
13 posts
Canada
packardbell wrote:
Mar 13th, 2011 5:34 pm
my vote goes to DHL but rarely have issues with the customer service.
DHL has fantastic global infrastructure and when they do the job right, there really isnt much bad to say. Just like UPS and FDX, the infrastructure is pretty awesome.

however, when a shipment is not where it is supposed to be, these companies really only have a playbook for the CSR's to work from. thinking outside the box and "moving mountains" to fix the issue is difficult.

that said, one time my client had 6 skids bumped in Memphis by FDX and I was able to persuade them to move the skids same day on a repositioning flight. however that would have never happened by calling 1 800 GO FEDEX and talking to a robot on the phone. it was becuase of senior level and executive connections that this was possible. point being, for the average consumder, FDX, UPS, DHL are all birds of the same feather and for the most part do the job just as well as the other party. the difference is in the exceptions and neither company responds any better then the other to the average consumer.

but FDX has won the marketing war. relax, its FedEx.
Apr 24, 2015
1 posts
Brampton
My eperience with China Post was horrible as I was told it will arrive EMS seller it by China Post Registered International and took 60 Days and the parcel ended up at the wrong address person who did customs and scanned USA instead of Canada I will never use China Post agian this was the worst eperience that I had with them seller apoligesed about this DHL best has a better and faster service my parcels arrive with DHL 3 Days from China good rate and they don't waste your time but is inexpensive as well FeDex Express is also good too for delivery 1-3 Days from China cost is more then DHL but same speed.
Jun 15, 2008
554 posts
62 upvotes
Markham
sorry to bring this thread up again but..

I've received a pair of shoes from china in December, just got a mail right now from TNT brokerage i need to pay for duties, taxes and brokerage fees.. which is fine, a cheque in my understanding will do. however its saying i need to sign a customs power of attorney..fax it in THEN they'll tell me the applicable charge? wtF? i didn't even choose to use them in the first place and shouldn't they have held the package when they came to my doorstep without receiving payment? (I personally wasn't home to receive it)

also found this site.. all posts are saying they're a scam? anyone on RFD have had this problem?

http://tnt-express.pissedconsumer.com/t ... 693/2.html
× < >